Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to set up a second 9241 at my cottage.(I know you aren't supposed to) If there is an in depth thread already please point me in the right direction. If not though, here is what I have laying around..
1) a regular ExpressVu dish and arm with a single digital LNB that can be upgraded to 2.
2) Directv Multi-Satellite WNC (phase III 18" x 20") Triple feed, multi sat LNB, built in multiswitch with 4 outlets (this unit appears to have 3 LNB heads on it.)
3) Directv slimline WNC with slimline integrated Ka/Ku LNBs (this unit also appears to have 3 LNB heads on it.)

Thanks for any and all help in this matter.

·
Registered
387 Posts
How many boxes do you already have ? if you have over 6 , then you cant, "account stacking" is why you cant. if 9241 is HD , then you can set up the 91W and 82 W ( 82W is HD btw) at ur cottage . if the 9241 is just SD , then you can setup 1 lnb on the Expressvu dish

·
Registered
292 Posts
I assume by "second" 9241 at your cottage and the fact you don't have a dish there that it was a speech error and you mean you are adding 1 9241 at your cottage. if this is the case.
you need to add the second lnb to the dish and pick up an sw21, if the 9241 is a dual tuner you'll need 2 sw21's.
assuming the "regular" dish you have has a Y bracket and a skew plate.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It might be cheaper and/or easier to get a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBF because then you don't need any switches at all. Bell has been using these for several months for some installs.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Go with MaxHeadrooms suggestion of a DPP Twin LNBF, this way you only need 1 rg6 cable with a separator at the receiver, easy clean and no splices or connections outside open to the elements.

For pointing, I would suggest using a Legacy LNBF in the 91 slot.

Set Skew, aim Dish, peak signal, remove Legacy LNBF, install DPP Twin, run Check Switch, watch TV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the instant feedback! And yes, I do not have a dish at the cottage (bad sentence) by second I meant second to the one at my house. I will review this info tonight. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
the cottage is covered.. now the house.
will you be hooking both 9241's up at the house when not at the cottage?
82/91 or just 91?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I am not understanding your questions there 'Installer', he has his receivers and Dish working fine at the house.

What are you asking about.?

·
Registered
292 Posts
i wasn't certain if he was buying a second 9241 to install in the house and take to the cottage or if he already had the second 9241 installed in the house....:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dish Pro Splitter

After reading the installation instructions with a DPP Twin LNBF for a dual tuner PVR, it says that a Dish Pro compliant splitter is required first for a software update before you can put the Dish Pro Plus Separator in place. Do you know if this is also true for Bell installations and if so, is the splitter just an SW-21 switch?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
An SW21 is a combiner, used to connect feeds from 2 seperate LNBF's to 1 output, it is NOT the same as a DPP Separator at all.

No Software update is required at all before using DP/DPP switch's ot LNBF's.

I have also never seen the phrase you used, "Dish Pro compliant splitter" before, could you provide a link to the relevant post please.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I must admit to never seeing that before, or at least if I did I just ignored it.

There is no requirement for a DP Splitter on Bells' receivers, they will take software updates through the separator.

Thanks for the link, appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
After reading the installation instructions with a DPP Twin LNBF for a dual tuner PVR, it says that a Dish Pro compliant splitter is required first for a software update before you can put the Dish Pro Plus Separator in place.
I must be blind but I do not see that anywhere in the document.

It does say the receiver needs the latest firmware to work, but that pdf is from 2004 when it was first introduced. All firmware from then on is DPP ready.

Interesting it took Bell 7 years to adopt the DPP Twin. I wonder if it will be another 7 years waiting for the DPP44 switch to be officially supported.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It is actually mentioned in that pdf more than once, peano.

I still do not understand the need for it, as it was only installed to allow for Software downloads but as you say peano, all software after that was DP/DPP friendly.

As for the DPP44, well do not hold your breath, Bell have asked for a DPP Quad LNBF and promised the Techs it was on its way during last years "Road Shows". That could still be some time away, based on their past performance and promises.

·
Registered
292 Posts
still not available to us yet, just dpp's and seperators the rest is still legacy gear.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I know it is yet another of the empty promises made by Bell to their front line Installation teams.

Although the number of Techs taking short cuts and just plain lying to Customers just so they can use a DPP Twin and run 2 lines and run away are increasing every week.

·
Registered
292 Posts
not this guy! i'm not a fan of the dpp's the only benifit to them over legacy is ease of instalation....the bad is the end result is a heavy, power hungry, signal eating lnb. most feal like bell is just catching up but i'll never loose my preference for the legacy lnb's......even if they slow me down.
I do use them when the work order calls for 1...that's it.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Never seen that issue at all, unless it was an installation with 1 DP/DPP receiver and an older 2700.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts