Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've been a Fido customer for 10 years with moderate satisfaction and I want now to add Internet capability to my phone. I am not under a contract anymore and I am free to change to any other provider. My typical usage is 100 minutes each month, I have a monthly bill of 35$ (before taxes).

I have a rather long commute and would like to have Internet access while in the train/bus to read my mail, maybe chat on MSN and access to any website (don't want to be imprisoned to a list of specifically approved websites).

I would not download big files or watch videos...

What would be the best carrier given these needs?

Honestly, I haven't made my homework yet! I just want to know it there are any plain facts that I should know or that would tell me to not even consider Bell, or Telus or whatever for reason X, Y or Z...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
With an HTC Touch on Bell you can have unlimited on-device web access for $10/mth (bundles w/ call display and message centre are a better value though).

I would recommend going into a store (any carrier except Fido) and check for an employee discount for the company you work for. For Fido, call CS and see what they are willing to offer to you as an existing customer.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
since your with Fido and your question is asking for the Cheapest, internet, go with the $7 unlimited surfing on your Pido option, for Compatible Handsets only, excludes smartphones, blackberries and iphones.

its still a lot chaper than the $10 bell is selling on their High Tech Computer Touch. Also, you can only browse Wap AND Websites only with this, no theathering or using third party applications, so you can still use web based msn messenger if u like and web based hot mail on the built-in browser, no third party browsers such as oprah or oprah mini, or fire fox. no g-mail java app, no google maps, no yahoo go etc.. NO third party at all

hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks to you two for the tips, I will check this out.

At first I would say that for 3$ more each month I'd rather subscribe to an unrestricted service... but from what I see the bell "unlimited service" is just a subscription and it does not include any actual usage... it's 0.05$ for each kb.

Hmm...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
No, Bell's service on the HTC Touch is unrestricted, unlimited on device access (no hooking up a laptop or PC through USB and having the phone act as your modem).

I would stream Sirius, watch Youtube, get all my email, browse any website through the webbrowser, and for a while I subscribed to the unlimited music store.

I had Opera, Google Maps, TomTom (much more useful than Google), full MobiTV and XM (cracked AT&T version), Cingular's song ID application, as well as many other third party apps. I don't know where the other poster got his "facts" from

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taken from bell.ca:
Mobile Browser $10.00/month
The Bell Mobile Browser service lets you surf the Internet on your phone or smartphone without paying extra fees. Surf the Internet on the go and get access to all the exciting content you’re looking for.

Pay-per-use at 5¢/kb, up to a maximum of $2 per session.

OK, I get it: either I subscribe to it and pay a flat 10$ each month for unlimited use OR I use it on a pay-per-use basis... My first read was that you have to subscribe and pay per use!!!

Now, that makes sense. Thx!

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
on Bellus, Data is NOT Data, if its ON-Device browsing only, then you can do that just as easily on Fido for a lot less. You can watch you tube videos on a fido, i did it with my nokia 6300/6301, they play in the built-in media player windo tho. just you cant run third party apps like oprah or g-mail... but its still good, and if your with fido already, you probaly got a good voice plan, if u cancel and go to bellus, your gonna loose your voice plan and have to pay a lot more probaly, for a voice plan u probaly would never fully utilize, and factor in any ECF fees, maximum of $400 too for bell, $720 for Telus, dont forget that..
and the price of the bellus phones always cost more..

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
^^^Which is why I recommended looking into which carrier will offer you the best package for you needs (usually a corporate discount set up for your employer, organizations such as schools, CAA, etc), then calling fido to see if they will match or beat your best deal from the other carriers.

Don't just check out the websites and see what is offered, go into a store and find out your best option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts