Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Hmmm...might need a bit more info...

Best for...? Reception? Monthly rates? Family plans? Customer service?

Help us out so we can help you out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
overall

rates ive seen they are all pretty close from what ive seen.
service i have no idea about?
reception no idea either.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Bell (and their subsidiary Virgin) and Telus both share a 3G HSPA+ network. Rogers and their subsidiary Fido have a 3G HSPA+ overlay on most of their 2G GSM network. Both networks offer very good reception and it is difficult to say which is the best.

All three major companies (Bell, Rogers, Telus) and their subsidiaries have support that typically ranges from mediocre to abysmal. You will find plenty of people who will tell you lengthy horror stories about all three.

All of the 5 I listed carry the iPhone 4 and all but Fido carry a variation of the Samsung Galaxy S.

Alternatively you could consider one of the new HSPA+ providers, either Wind or Mobilicity. Both offer significantly better rate plans but neither use contracts and thus will not subsidize phone costs, so you may would need to purchase a phone outright. They are not compatible with iPhones, but you could use the Samsung Galaxy S variant sold by T-Mobile USA. As new providers their coverage is much more limited and less reliable, check their websites for details.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You need to ask yourself 3 questions
1) how often do I leave hamilton or GTA?

2) how often do I go to the US and need voice calls?

3) Do I make a lot of long distance calling (within canada)?

If you answer to any of the above is 'lots', you're probably going to want one of the new guys.

I'm with wind and I get 25c a min to call anywhere in canada when i'm outside a home zone.
Calls within province are considered local.
Calls in the US are also 25c each.

If you join with robelus, you get a two decade old network (i.e. mature coverage), but you will be paying long distance fees (in the traditional more-than-one-city-over sense) and roaming fees if you travel to the US.

The above reasons (though I don't travel to the US often) are why I chose wind.
robelus would charge me 35c a min just for long distance, calling two cities over.
Even if I had no wind coverage, my per minute cost is still cheaper. Then when I do have wind coverage, it's cheaper still (either 10c/min or covered under my plan)

Gotta decide what's best for you based on balancing your needs.
If you're often outside of the gta and need data access, you would be better off with robelus as the new guys currently have not negotiated an affordable roaming rate for data. It's pay per use at ridiculous-per-mb rates :p

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I think a more appropriate question would be, "Which company is the least evil?"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts