Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am looking at getting a new camera for my wife for Christmas. I have narrowed down my choices to one of these 2 and was hoping that someone could provide me with that extra push in one direction or the other.

I think in the end, my wife will be most concerned with how long it will be before she can take the next picture. I'm still not 100% sure how to judge this. I understand that an undercharged battery can delay the flash charge and would probably only use disposable Lithium ion batteries if I went with the A570IS.

She would also be taking quite a few indoor picture and other setting in low light. Would this be where image stabilization could help? This feature is really the biggest difference that I see between the two.

The size and weight between the two cameras isn't really an issue but if there isn't a significant difference between the 2 cameras, I'd probably go for the smaller (for no real reason other than it would be more "cute" to her).

Thanks to all for any input.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
no need to use disposable Li-On bateries. 2000mAh+ NimH batteries will suffice.

You should really opt a camera with optical image stabilizer (such as the 570IS). It will minimize the effect of shaky hands. It will NOT, however, stop the motion.

Furthermore, the SD1000 is cuter and lighter... which WILL translate to a more shaky handling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
we have a sd1000, the startup is pretty quick (compared to old G3). The flash could be brighter, but not a big complaint. Also in video mode it can zoom in and out (audio not bad). I'd say it's a good point and shoot. Main issue we got it is because if it's compact size.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Have you considered the A720 IS? It's what I've decided on for my wife when choosing between the A570 IS and the A720 IS. With the sale at FS right now, it's almost the same price and gives 6x zoom vs 4x zoom. Also, the lenses from my G3 fit it but not MY G7 or the A570. :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
I had the same dilemma a few months back deciding between the A570IS and the SD1000. In the end I went for the A570IS for two main reasons. First I wanted to optical image stabilization and second I like that it uses regular AA batteries that I can get anywhere (and not a proprietary lithium ion battery which requires a recharge before re-use).

On the other hand a friend of mine went for the SD1000 and after seeing it in action it's quite a nice camera as well.

Also, with the A570IS you can use a custom firmware like CHDK to enable lots more features (RAW image saving, scripts, accurate battery meter, live histogram, zebra mode, etc). I just loaded it the other day and it's amazing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info?

I was out browsing on the week end and a saleslady at The Source was really pushing the Fuji SLR S700 as well but after reviewing it, I think I'll pass for now. She was bragging about it's "self teaching menu", it's image stabilization (which I found out is software, not optical), but the big thing was that it does have a 3 year warranty which is nice.

I think that my wife would like the image stabilization of the 570IS. I'll have to check out the 720IS now as well. I was a little concerned with the use of AA batteries. I heard that regular alkalines will run out almost by the end of the day (perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, I don't honestly know) so if that mean NiMH rechargeables, batteries shouldn't be an issue.

In this case, smaller cameras with rechargeable Lithium batteries make as much sense.

In the end, I guess it will come down to whether image stabilization is worth it.

Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
when I used to use AA for my Canon cameras, they tend to last close to 2 days. So as long as you use 2000 Mah batteries or better, I'm sure you won't be having any problem. Just get two sets. One in the camera, another in your pocket. And recharge the one you use in the camera overnight when you get back to the hotel or whatnot.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
I was a little concerned with the use of AA batteries. I heard that regular alkalines will run out almost by the end of the day (perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, I don't honestly know) so if that mean NiMH rechargeables, batteries shouldn't be an issue.
I use re-chargeable NiMH batteries in my S3 IS and, despite having the display on much of the time, I easily get a few hundred pics and some video clips off of one charge. And I always have a second set of rechargeables handy in my camera bag.

In my opinion, image stabilization is worthwhile. It won't salvage photos if there is a lot of movement, or in very low light conditions, but it will take care of most of the little movements that will result in blurring in otherwise good shots.

I recommended a 710 IS to a buddy of mine earlier this year. He bought it and has been very happy with it. The 720 IS looks like it's a worthwhile purchase...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the input. Big sale on the 720IS and 570IS at the Futureshop and I was really leaning toward the 720IS as it is now the same price as the 570IS was when I started this thread ;)

But then I remembered that since this is our first digital camera, I also need NiMH batteries, a charger, and memory cards. Now the 570IS is looking better since I can use the $50 (difference from the 720IS) to get these items.

May head out this week end to finish up my shopping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.