Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which Bluray player would be ideal?

I have a top of the line HD projector and surround sound system. I have some downloaded MKV and HD files I want to play on my projector, through a USB or what not. I also want to be able to play Bluray movies.

Regardless of price, which model would be the best for my situation?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Home Theatre Mag says the picture and video quality of virtually every BR player is excellent.

If you want to play downloaded files, I assume that PQ is not that important so I'd recommend a cheaper BLu-ray player and use the money you save to buy a Media Player like the Western Digital Live or Boxee box to play your torrents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oppo BDP-93

I would recommend the $500 Oppo BDP-93. Technically the Oppo BDP-95 is a "better" player for some audio, but the BDP-93 is so much better than anything out there that I doubt many will hear the difference. I have a 13-month old BDP-83 that I am more than pleased with. The audio is awesome. It is my fourth Oppo, previouse DVD models including the 970, 971, and 980.

All play XVID just fine. The BDP-83 plays mkv/h264 from a flash drive, or DLNA, or FAT32 USB Hard disk. The current BDP-93 also has an e-SATA interface for NTFS disk support in addition to the BDP-83 capabiliies.

All blue-ray players play images well from blue-ray, but the Oppo is the complete package.

I am currently looking at the LG BD590 for my bedroom to replace an older Oppo 971 that is DVD only. This is because Oppo discontinued the BDP-80 and has not announced or released a BDP-90 yet for those less demanding rooms in my house.

Cheers...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would also go with the Oppo BDP-93, I've ordered mine will get here in a couple weeks.

Oppo is widely considered to produce the best value player on the market.

·
Registered
6 Posts
3d blue ray help......

I just purchased a 54 Panasonic VT25 and now plan to purchase a 3d Blue Ray player. I am not sure what to buy and do not what to go over $300. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thank you and take care.............

·
Registered
301 Posts
Memory Express online store (they are an AB store), has killer deals on Panny 3Ds Blu-ray’s right now. Bought the BDT350 ($179 with free shipping with UPS) two days ago should arrive tomorrow. They also have the BDT100 for $129 free shipping. Great deals IMHO. Google Memory Express and hit the Home Electronics tab.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the Panasonic models. The 350 is the old one right?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Thank you.

I've mistaken 350 vs the upcoming 310. As silly as it may sound, I'm buying on just because I can change the splash screen from Panasonic logo to whatever picture I want.

h

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
All via ethernet port ? RU saying any BR player with E net port can stream netflix canada --Don't think so! Used only for software updates I think on a lot of machines
Where did I say anything about Netflix? I was simply stating that all new BD players (assuming all new ones are Profile 2.0 compliant) must have the ability to connect to the Internet.

Profile 2.0 (also known as BD-Live):

Despite Profile 1.1 also being known as Final Standard Profile, there's actually still another Blu-ray specification, Profile 2.0, also known as BD-Live. The reason it's called BD-Live is that the major difference between profiles 1.1 and 2.0 is that Profile 2.0 requires that the player have an Internet connection, usually via an Ethernet port. Although some Profile 1.1 Blu-ray players have an Ethernet port, these are strictly for firmware updates and can't be used to access downloadable content.
Profile 2.0

This profile is referred to as "BD Live". Essentially it is similar to Profile 1.1, but adds a 1GB memory storage capacity and also requires the inclusion of an Ethernet connection, which enables more flexibility in accessing additional features that may be included on Blu-ray Discs and more sophisticated web-enabled feature access via the high-speed internet port. This brings the Blu-ray Disc format to the same place as HD-DVD players have been from the initial introduction of that now-defunct format.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
If you are using the network features a TV has, yes.

If you are doing it over a Blu-Ray player or other box, the TV does not need DLNA compatibility.

DLNA, for the most part, is the capability to stream content from other devices on your network, including PCs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would recommend the $500 Oppo BDP-93. Technically the Oppo BDP-95 is a "better" player for some audio, but the BDP-93 is so much better than anything out there that I doubt many will hear the difference. I have a 13-month old BDP-83 that I am more than pleased with. The audio is awesome. It is my fourth Oppo, previouse DVD models including the 970, 971, and 980.

All play XVID just fine. The BDP-83 plays mkv/h264 from a flash drive, or DLNA, or FAT32 USB Hard disk. The current BDP-93 also has an e-SATA interface for NTFS disk support in addition to the BDP-83 capabiliies.

All blue-ray players play images well from blue-ray, but the Oppo is the complete package.

I am currently looking at the LG BD590 for my bedroom to replace an older Oppo 971 that is DVD only. This is because Oppo discontinued the BDP-80 and has not announced or released a BDP-90 yet for those less demanding rooms in my house.

Cheers...
I completely agree with Mark.

I too, have gone the OPPO 971(DVD), BDP-83 and now just picked up the BDP-93.

Bang for the buck. They are unsurpassed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always been a fan of Panasonic video players. I also love their plasma tvs. I would go with the BDT210 but if you need two HDMI outputs, then get the BDT310. Sony is also a good brand as well as Pioneer Elite.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts