Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really starting from scratch, will be getting a new TV and will buy a Blu-ray player to go with it. Getting the Sony 46" LCD.

What features should I be looking for? What brands are the most reliable or offer the best bang for the buck? Not looking to break the bank, and I often go entry level, provided I'm not going to be obsolete in a year.

thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If you go a bit bigger with the TV they often have package deals where you get a (somewhat matching) blu ray player. You should be able to find a Superbowl deal right now.

Personally, I got a PS3 to be my blu-ray player; it's one of the better ones going (fast, easy to upgrade, has built-in wireless and storage), lets you play games, stream some content from the internet, Netflix, your home PC. If you were to go that route, though, I highly recommend getting a PS3 Blu-Ray remote for movie playback functions.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
likely won't go the PS3 route, since I don't really want one (I will become an addict). Just looking for standard blu-ray.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Look for one that has DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance).

This feature allows you to stream music and video from any source in your house, as well as on the internet. So if you've downloaded a video on your laptop, you'd be able to watch it on your 46" Sony through your Bluray player.

If your PC is your main source for your MP3s, then you can listen to your favourite music, through the player over the speakers in your home theatre setup. You can also view your pictures that you took when the family went skating down the canal, and gorged themselves on a beaver tail. :)

It just gives you more flexibility on where your media is, and where you want to listen/watch.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Do lower end players have these?

I'm thinking to spend $150 ish

Cant see dropping $500 on an oppo

·
Registered
555 Posts
get the Seiki BD660 bluray player

·
Registered
152 Posts
Oppo used to be the best value for the DVD/BD player at $200-300.
As good/great as they are - they too have now become too expensive for the average buyer once they became successful. Besides, theirs are universal players(they play the multi-channel formats like SACD and DVD-Audio, and others), but I have a feeling you're not too concerned about that.
That brings us back to the major brand names: Sony(which would make perfect sense with your new Sony TV), Panasonic, Samsung, LG and then possibly Yamaha, Toshiba etc.
If you should stick to Sony - I would go with the highest affordable model (BDP-S570) at around $140-170.
Panasonic best bet in the 2D and your price range would by DMP-BD85 at $170.
That leaves Samsung BD-C5500 ($160), C6500 at $160 or C7500 at $250 or so.
And LG has BD570 at around $160.
All this and more in the latest(March 2011) issue of Consumers Reports.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you are not looking for 3D or wireless, Sony BDP-S370 is your best bet. If you are looking for those features Sony BDP-S570. The LG 555C has excellent picture quality but very limited internet features. The Samsung has many, many issues. Sony is limited to Fat32 usb, has no Netflix, but has the best internet contents, easy firmware update via internet, excellent picture quality, dlna, and in my opinion after trying both LG and Samsung, best value for the money.
I paid $86 for Sony BDP-S370 at WM during boxing week. I think the price will come down again to this level soon, because new models are coming out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You might want to get one with the ability to connect to the internet.

When I bought my blu-ray player I did not realize how useful this feature would be. I now watch movies via Netflix and its awesome, the picture quality is comparable to HD cable signal and I rarely experience buffering issues. I think streaming videos will just get better in the near future as more players are getting into this market e.g. Blockbuster, Amazon etc.

I have the Samsung C6500 ([email protected] Shop). Picture quality is great but I would not recommend this unless you're tech-savvy as the wireless feature can be a bit flaky. Sony and Panasonic offer internet-ready players as well.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If you are not looking for 3D or wireless, Sony BDP-S370 is your best bet.
+1

You might want to get one with the ability to connect to the internet.
All Blu-ray players connect to the internet via Ethernet port.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'm thinking to spend $150 ish
Low end Sony or Panny is your best bet.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Judging by the specs, no.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
For Sony S370 vs S570, does the 570 offer any benefits in terms of DVD upconverting quality or audio options?
Absolutely...if you look at Hugh's description in the (Sony BDP-S370, BDP-S570, BDP-S770 Blu-ray Players) thread it clearly states:
Sony BDP-S570 Blu-ray Disc Player
• BRAVIA Monolithic Design
• Full HD 1080p single-disc Blu-ray disc, DVD, SA-CD, CD player
• BRAVIA Internet Video and BD-LIVE
• IP Content Noise Reduction
• Built-in Wi-Fi Wireless (802.11) with Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WAP)
• Entertainment Database Browser with Gracenote technology
• BD Remote (iPhone/iPod touch remote control – free app.)
DVD upscaling to 1080p with Precision Cinema HD Upscaling
• Photo/Music/Video Playback via USB and DLNA
• Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio decoding

Also...if you look around...they were blowing out the Sony BDP-S770 for $169 at FutureShop recently, to make way for the new S780's that haven't arrived yet.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
To clarify, the S370 also has that feature, found in Hugh's description:

Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray Disc Player
Available this spring, CDN pricing TBD
• BRAVIA Monolithic Design
• Full HD 1080p single-disc Blu-ray disc, DVD, SA-CD, CD player
• BRAVIA Internet Video and BD-LIVE
• Entertainment Database Browser with Gracenote technology
• Wi-Fi Ready (USB wireless LAN adapter sold separately)
DVD upscaling to 1080p with Precision Cinema HD Upscaling
• BD Remote (iPhone/iPod touch remote control – free app.)
• Photo/Music/Video Playback via USB and DLNA

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Be aware thought that the wireless adaptor has to be the Sony model that is almost as expensive as the Player. I priced it out and it averages about $79. If wireless is needed, I'd get the next model up. It's a good player all the same, I got it on Boxing day, and I love it, but I wouldn't pay the extra for the wireless stick.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I'd go with the 570 just because I'm too lazy to download firmware to do an update... which is too often to my liking, especially in my case where I own 3 different players and my parents also own another 3 players and I'm the only one who does the updates.

I've exchanged all my parents' BD players to the 570 earlier last year just to make my life easier :D :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts