Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm, is September 1st and still no Sonos iPad app which was promised for August.

I'm kind of peeved since I opted not to buy a Sonos bundle with controller because the iPad app was supposed to be out in August.

Boo Sonos.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Sonos addressed that in a post on their forum a couple weeks ago:

Delivering the highest quality products that exceed our customers’ expectations has always been our mission at Sonos. Nothing less will do. Which is why we are postponing the shipment of our new Sonos Controller for iPad app until the end of September. We’re disappointed, but know that the result will be worth the wait. In the meantime, customers can continue to use the Sonos Controller for iPhone app on their iPad.
(source)

As someone who has a Sonos setup and an iPad I'm disappointed by the delay, but I'm not surprised by it. Software release cycles frequently miss their target release date, but whatever - it's only an extra month.

What are you currently using for as controller? Your PC?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the Sonos iPhone app on the iPad.

I'm having buyers remorse over buying Sonos. I find the iphone app really crappy for searching, I miss iTunes Genius and the Sonos players throw off a lot of heat since they are always on. I hate the fact that Sonos Playlists can only be about 12 or 16 characters.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Which zone player models do you have? The only one that seems to throw off a decent amount of heat is the ZP120, which is only when it's actually being used (and most of the heat would be from the amp).

It sounds like my experiences with the system have been a lot more positive than yours have been though. I use Sonos all the time to listen to radio/podcasts/audiobooks all over the house by grouping zones. My main complaint about the system is that for audiobooks it doesn't have a bookmarking feature where it can automatically resume where you left off.

I do like how a line in is available on all the zone players so you can listen to line in sources throughout your house (e.g. from your TV). For music I have a $10/mo Napster music sub which (with Sonos) has been a hit for the parties that I've had since getting my Sonos setup. People pass around the CR200 and play DJ, adding their favorite music to the queue. Everyone loves it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't hate Sonos but I am severely disappointed.

I've used Apple with ATV and Apple Express for years for streaming music but switched to SOnos for two reasons: ability to stream multiple streams to multiple devices and for standalone devices with built in amplifiers.

Why I am so disappointed is that I find the interface and iPhone app very weak and the lack of Genius is really bothering me. I have to create Genius Playlists then import them into Sonos.

I also don't like the fact that Sirius Canada is not supported. I can listen via Apple by using Airfoil.

If Apple had a powered device and could do multiple streams, I would go back in a second.

I have a ZP 90 and 120.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The bottom line is that like Syabas and others, these guys don't have a predictable software delivery process.

Also guessing that neither of you guys has run into the 64K (song) library limitation yet. A good friend of mine bought into the hype and immediately discovered this software limitation, after dropping $3K. Yep, exceeding customers expectations alright...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Downloaded app and updated firmware

1 - 8 of 8 Posts