Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am down the money spending point of my home theatre build. Here is what I have budgetted right now for equipment.

$1200 for Projector (Probably HD200x)
$300 for 106" Screen
$1000 Speakers (fronts, rears, center, sub)
$700 for A/V Receiver

My biggest debate is whether I should move some money around to splurge on the Panasonic PT-AE4000U? I would drive down the New York and pick up the Panny to get it cheaper if I had too I will be doing everything on this projector. Xbox 360, PS3, Satellite, HTPC..

Does anyone have any other recommendations for projectors, speakers packages, and receivers?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found a local deal on speakers. A guy is selling Athena AS-F2.2 fronts, AS-C1 center, and it looks like a sub for $300.. Seems like a steal to me.. Just hope they are still available.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
A $199 Receiver will drive a cheap set of speakers so why waste $700 on a Receiver.

I'd look for an inexpensive used A/V Receiver and focus on good speakers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
And why does he need a amp with a pre-outs ??? Like hugh said a 199$ will do the job i would even go with a 300$ amp and leave the rest for speakers .

·
Registered
96 Posts
The real question is do you plan to invest more money into your Hometheater or are you hoping that what you spend today is going to last you for the next 5-10 years?

If your just roughing in a system for now that you plan to upgrade in the near future then invest in the pieces that won't go obsolete in 3 months after you buy them. Aka Speakers & Projector screen.

I'd also go with a less expensive receiver you can find something like an Onkyo or yamaha that will do the trick for $400 - 500. I'd also go with a less expensive Projector since with all the 3D stuff going on this technology might really change and soon. So get somthing for the next year or so to get by. Take anything you save and spend it on Speakers/Subs.

Just think what your plans are for the next 5 years for your HT, electronics always goes obsolete almost the day after you buy it speakers last forever.

I built my HT in steps over 5 years, and electronics was the last thing I paid big dollars for. However I got to enjoy my speakers the whole time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.. What I buy know I would hope to last a couple years anyway.. If I could get 5 years out of the projector that would be great. The A/V receiver I would hope to get longer. Speakers and screen of course should last the longest.

All I want in an A/V receiver would be enough HDMI ports for my devices and maybe an extra for future.. So 4-5 would probably be enough. I would also like all inputs to be output and upconverted through HDMI. Also the ability to play HDMI audio, not just pass through, but I think most do that now? And last but not least, it should support all of the latest digital formats for audio.

If I can get away with spending less then my budgetted amount then that is great.

I am still waiting to hear back about those Athena AS-F2.2.. What do you think about those as fronts?

So would you guys spend the extra on the Panasonic PT-AE4000U over the Optoma HD200x?

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
The Pioneer VSX-1020-K would fall into your budget range and suits all your listed needs. The Athena speakers are a good match too. I think a pair of F2.2s retailed for about what you are paying for the 4 speakers. The sub is a no-namer? And no rears?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if the package come with a sub or not.. I have a feeling they might be sold.. Still haven't heard back from the guy..

Thanks, I will check out that receiver.. I do like the Pioneer line.. Wish I could go Elite :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked into the Pioneer VSX-1020-K and I do like what if offers. Even better if I pick it up from the US a lot cheaper, and maybe on sale around christmas..

How would that receiver match up with the Athena AS-F2.2s? I know its important to match up the watts per channel etc, but I don't know how to figure that out..

It turns out they are available with the center for $300, and an extra $100 for the sub. I am going to check them out tomorrow night and hopefully will come home with them if they look good.. And everyone thinks it will be a decent match up.

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
They are as good a match as you can expect. We are not talking about micro or book-shelf speakers.

I wish Eljay would appear. He is the Speaker King around here. :) Especially subs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just updating my budget with the components I have loosley decided on..

Optoma HD20 - $1049
Daiwa 106" Pull-down screen - $279
Pioneer VSX-1020-K- $550

$200 Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II x 2
$150 Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel

Unsure about surrounds and sub at this point. I want to wall mount the surrounds, so I need something with that option.. Not sure if the Polk Audio RM 7s would be a good choice or not.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Why AVR with pre-outs? For those who may be thinking about upgrading and scaling into separates. I bought a C$400 Pioneer AVR (cheapest with pre-outs) back in 2002 but I added a power amp in 2005. Music and movies never sounded better. AVR was recently replaced by an Emotiva UMC-1. The AVR is now doing duty as a whole house pre/pro while I'm waiting for the new HTD controller.

As I've said previously (here or in another forum), I like things that scale either in my software apps or audiophilia.

Btw, eljay may be in the other forum but I like a couple of speakers from this list: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20016275-47.html

Also, mikec, are you going to be using the system for music too? If you are, then spend a good chunk of money on the LCR speakers.

Finally, check out canuck audio mart and audiogon or even Emotiva forum for good value used products.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will play music now and then for sure.. Not my main use for the speakers, but I would like music to sound good..

Do you not think the Polk Monitor70 and CS2 would be good for music listening?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

$200 Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II x 2
$150 Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel

Unsure about surrounds and sub at this point. I want to wall mount the surrounds, so I need something with that option.. Not sure if the Polk Audio RM 7s would be a good choice or not.
Monitor 70s for the front and either 30s or 40s would be a good match and yes the monitor 70s are great for music. shttp://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor30/
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor40/

Make sure to enroll with newegg (.ca and/or .com) as they both had great deals on the monitor series lately. Don't forget the monitor series are readily available on the street but are actually a vintage product on the Polk site so you should get them at discounted pricing. If you are willing to buy used and go in the US market, I would suggest you check the Polk forum Flea Market for good deals.

As far as subwoofer, you can set your AVR to full range for now as the 70s go down to 30hz while the 40s go down to 47hz and the 30s go down to 55hz. If you wait for the sales on subwoofer during th Xmas season you'd be able to get better bang for the buck. Any brand of sub you choose would do as there is no matching with speakers to be considered.

COSTCO sells optoma PJ and often the screens come with the PJ so that would allow you to wait a little to get a better screen and potentially sell the original screen if you do not like it.

Cheers!
TK

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! I am signed up to the newletter and am watching the site daily now.. I don't mind buying used, but for the price these are when on sale I would feel better buying them new.

The Monitor70s were $175 each a week or two ago, but figured I would wait for the holidays to see if they get any cheaper.. I heard they have been as low as $150 each.

Since they are a vintage product I am sort of worried they might run out of them though.. Hopefully they have lots of stock..

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The Monitor70s were $175 each a week or two ago, but figured I would wait for the holidays to see if they get any cheaper.. I heard they have been as low as $150 each.

Since they are a vintage product I am sort of worried they might run out of them though.. Hopefully they have lots of stock..
Yes, pricing went down as low as 149$ not so long ago. It seems like stores have plenty of stock however, after this Xmas season you could be out of luck. A good clue of that might FS having a huge rebate on those during this Xmas. You do not have to worry about service or parts replacement as Polk usually provides them long after a line may be gone ;)

BTW; you don't need to watch their site daily as they will bug the crap out of you with their upcoming sales ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
mikec,

I just bought the Monitor70 Series II last week at $179 each (ordered Wednesday afternoon, shipped for Thursday morning delivery but I wasn't able to be home as I wasn't expecting them that quick!). These speakers are great. I ordered 4 of them which I think is overkill but a nice overkill. Sound is great. I was going to upgrade my receiver and subwoofer as well as my centre channel but I may wait now and even skip a purchase or two. I'm waiting for the CS2 to go back on sale (it apparently was $119 less than a month ago). I recall reading that the Monitor70 original series went down to $145 or so to clear them out. The Series II are reportedly much the same with a slightly different look (silver face vs black on the Series II).

Great speakers. I'm not going to upgrade my Pioneer VSX-D409 because it has come alive with these speakers. I bought the VSX-D409 some time ago at Costco and it came with matching speakers as a complete entry level HTIB but I quickly learned that they really weren't that great once I hooked up the Monitor70's. I was also going to upgrade my subwoofer (also came with the system) but I think I may not get a sub at all. I haven't used it yet and I'm not missing much. These speakers may not shake the fillings out of your teeth (it may also be the receiver filtering or just plain lacking) but you certainly can feel them rumble the floor.

With shipping at $2.99 per speaker. I thought it was a great deal as shipping can make or break a deal. First time shopper at ********** but it certainly won't be the last time.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts