Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just purchased a new Toshiba 34hfx83 TV and matching stand. So I am moving the old 19" tv. I previously had the sub in the cabinet under the TV in my old tv setup. I noticed that the sub when moved around caused some color problems with the old set.

Please pardon the basic question. Is placing the sub beneath the TV a good idea? Where would be best to place the sub?

The reason I had it in the cabinet benath the TV are my 7 month old and my 3 year old.

Jason

·
Registered
635 Posts
I suggest trying one of the corners of the room. Move it around the room and then find out where it works best (ie. biggest slam at the same test volume).

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me under the tv would keep it out of reach of little hands. But is there any possible problems with the tv should I do this?

Jason

·
Registered
380 Posts
Try placing the sub at your normal seating position and then walk around the room listening for the best low-freq sound, tight clean bass, then move the sub to that spot. It doesn't always work but it's a neat trick. Corner positions sometime result in great boom at the expense of good bass, along a side wall can work well at 1/3 or 2/3 room length. Avoid 1/2 room length positions as they can set-up standing waves. Check out 'Stereophile Guide to Home Theater' July/Aug 2003 Russ Herschelman's article on sub placement.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
I don't think most subwoofers are shielded - mostly only center channel speakers. Also, putting the sub right under the TV might induce a few more vibrations into the TV - potentially causing damage - than if you put it a bit further away. I would recommend you put it further away, unless you have no other choice.

·
Registered
380 Posts
JohnnyG I stand corrected! I crawl before you :wink: . Another thing to watch out for is how much air subs can move, I saw how much my 50" screen moved while listening to music with the TV off, the vibrations produced by the lowest bass notes moved the screen quite a bit. I can't say I actually saw movement say during the very loudest , lowest bass in LOTR for example but it prompted me to move my sub to another location and to further adjust it till it was set-up properly, as it is I'm still tracking down vibrations in lighting fixtures et al.

·
Registered
502 Posts
currently I have just 5 speakers and was thinking of getting a subwoofer to add to the room...is it ok to put it behind the plasma screen? there's about 3 feet of room behind the plasma and the wall.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
Paradigm makes shielded and unshielded versions of many of their speakers. Only way to tell is to check the model specs on the speaker itself. (Unshielded speakers is another reason I do not like Paradigm speakers. Wanna guess why? :()

I would not put a sub behind a plasma screen or any component that may be affected by vibration. Even if the effects are not immediately noticeable, long term damage from low frequency vibration is possible. I have seen electronic components that literally had their insides shaken loose from bass frequency vibrations. CRTs would probably be most susceptible to something like this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should put your sub in a corner facing the farthest point in the room, preferebly not at a "L" corner but rather at a slightly angled corner if you have one... this helps stop a standing wave...the distance for a 50hz frequency (typical low end bass) is 30 feet...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.