Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Primex, a Vancouver company, makes an awesome selection of outdoor cable/telephone/satellite enclosures.
They have a model box for just about any installation requirement. I need one to house a satellite multi-switch.
Problem is, I can't find a seller who just sells singles. It seems their distributors sell lots of ten or more. I've seen some on eBay, but that's pretty hit or miss. There's a distributor who sells singles when you order $50 dollars of goods, but when the box is $15, thats not the best solution.
Anyone know of a line on new, single enclosures?

here's their link: http://www.primextelecom.com/

·
Registered
709 Posts
I just normally go to home depot and get a PVC junction box like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Boxes-Conduit-Fittings-Boxes-Brackets/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xihZbohnZ1z116nv/R-202043419/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Just another option, the boxes seal tight and I have never had a problem with them.
Gents,

The Home Depot Box is just far too small for most 4X8 or 5X8 multiswitches. (IMHO)

The photo above is for my Phillips 5X8 (outdoor rated) multiswitch as installed before cabling from the Dish is complete. For reference below the multiswitch is a standard electrical box about 3 1/4" long.

My estimate is you 'd like 13” X 12” X 3” deep or larger. I could never find one at retail either so I'm going to squeeze it into 13” X 9 1/4” X 4” next spring. (Far too chilly out there -6° C today.) The extra depth will help make longer radius bends for the RG6 Quad Cables, but even so I expect to have to Rotate and reposition the multiswitch 90° to get it all in neatly without stress.

More room is definitely better. Don't try to squeeze everything into a small box. You'll only have grief later. (By the way, I'm an Electrician by trade and have seen my share of botched work by DIY.:eek: over the years.)

I think my box is a Primex P140 Telecom Housing that's used by many local telephone companies. Wesco has Primex on their list of suppliers:

http://www.wesco.ca/2008_Western_Gen_LC_Final.pdf

I think they have counter sales at most of their branches. If not try Gescan for a competitor's similar product as I'm certain they have counter sales.

I hope this is helpful. ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - that's the same multiswitch I have, and yes, it needs a fairly large enclosure. As well, the power supply brick is large and needs housing, hence the minimum 3" depth. I looked at Home Depot boxes, but want something more elegant, with rubber grommets and a hinge.
thanks so far

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks - that's the same multiswitch I have, and yes, it needs a fairly large enclosure. As well, the power supply brick is large and needs housing, hence the minimum 3" depth. I looked at Home Depot boxes, but want something more elegant, with rubber grommets and a hinge.
thanks so far
tvmaster,

You need to read the specs a little closer on the PSU Brick as it's rated for indoor use only. They actually suggest mounting it inside the house, and if needed, running some RG6 (with F Connectors) as the extension. You should have a F type Barrel type coupling included in the packaging for this application.

You will see the power connector coming out of the electrical box in the photo I posted. The other side of that insulated wall is a Bedroom and nearby an unused wall plug. You may get away with an external mount for a while if you are in Vancouver as the winters are usually mild (but it's -5° C today) but long term life will most probably suffer if mounted outside.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Could you not run the four cables from the dish to a dry place, preferably inside the house and easily accessible and then feed all the receivers from there?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tvmaster,

You need to read the specs a little closer on the PSU Brick as it's rated for indoor use only. They actually suggest mounting it inside the house, and if needed, running some RG6 (with F Connectors) as the extension. You should have a F type Barrel type coupling included in the packaging for this application.

You will see the power connector coming out of the electrical box in the photo I posted. The other side of that insulated wall is a Bedroom and nearby an unused wall plug. You may get away with an external mount for a while if you are in Vancouver as the winters are usually mild (but it's -5° C today) but long term life will most probably suffer if mounted outside.

Just my 2 cents...
how much RG6 do you think could be run? Five feet? 10 feet? 20 feet? I'd prefer to do it that way, so I wouldn't have to have an electrician out to install an outlet near my dish. Basically, just hook up a thru-barrel to the brick and that's it? Also, my outdoor temps rarely go below 10c with little rain. How would that effect the "outdoor" rating?

·
Registered
709 Posts
how much RG6 do you think could be run? Five feet? 10 feet? 20 feet? I'd prefer to do it that way, so I wouldn't have to have an electrician out to install an outlet near my dish. Basically, just hook up a thru-barrel to the brick and that's it? Also, my outdoor temps rarely go below 10c with little rain. How would that effect the "outdoor" rating?
tvmaster,

By the way I agree that bringing the 4 RG6 Cable from the LNB into some nice dry central indoor location for connection to the multiswitch and then distribution is the best solution. However, if you are already confident putting on quality F connectors (PPC EX6XLWS?) for the RG6 Quad Shield Cables you use from the Dish => making up this extension should not be an issue. It's the same specification - just use the thru barrel to couple the output of the Brick to the cable. Distance is not defined by Phillips but I'd think 50 feet or more would still be reasonable.

Indoor requirements mean it never freezes and is dry. (I too live in Metro Vancouver). They say close only counts in Horseshoes and Hand Grenades => not in electrical applications.

I don't think you'd need an Electrician as the output of the PSU Brick (or wall wort) is only 24 Volts DC. (I assume you realise that 13, or 18, volts DC is on each of the cables from the reciever (or multiswitch) to the dish.

So you are already doing low voltage electrical work...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you looked at using one of the enclosures designedfor Wifi?

Here is one from Xagyl (In Montreal). I have used them in the past and they work great. They have lots of knockouts and using a feedthru, you get a nice water tight install.

There heated cases etc but they are not neccesary IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts