Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry

the link is not good, but if you put " convertisseur " in RECHERCHE ( search)
you will find it:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
More DTV Boxes in Canada

Hey Everyone,
If you are looking for DTV boxes i found these major retailers that will stock them soon in Quebec.....

For the TIVAX .. The source
For the APex .. BB & FS

Cheers..

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I found the Tivax model on The Source's website and when doing a "Check for store availability" discovered that few stores have them in stock already. I had never heard of this box before, but doing a quick Google, it seems to have good reviews so far.

No indication yet if FS or BB have started stocking the Apex box yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Iam looking to find a convertor box buy it seems every one that sells them in the Hamilton area is sold out, does anyone know any place in the Burlington, or st kitts area that might sell them thanks
Nutech in Hamilton has some,I just called.They are not the CM7000,but another brand.Also try TigerDirect,they are in Burlington.

·
Registered
221 Posts
did you get that box in the stoney creek Hamilton location? Thanks for the link stampeder

·
Registered
982 Posts
FYI I saw stand alone ATSC tuners at Future Shop in Whitby, Ontario on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
ASTC Tuner Box at the Source

Flyer came today with astc tuner for sale at the Source.First I seen in a retail store chain in Canada.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
The Source and Canadian Tire sell the Tivax astc tuner.
Where did you hear that Canadian Tire sells the Tivax? I can't find it on their website.

The remote that comes with the Tivax or the RJ-Tech tuners are not compatable with some LCD TV's.
Not really a big deal as most LCD TVs are HD and the box downconverts the picture to SD. Optimally you should either buy an LCD TV with a built in DTV tuner or buy an HD box (though they are hard to find in Canada).

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The Source and Canadian Tire sell the Tivax astc tuner.

roger1818

The Source has the Tivax stb-t8 'online' and 'in-store', however Canadian Tire has them 'in-store' only... Some Home Hardware stores now have a cheapy GE box.

LCD-HD Tv's do not all have astc tuners, many of them have only analog ntsc tuners. The label 'HD' only refers to display resolution properties. If you use the RJ-Tech converter with some ntsc LCD TV's, the RJ-Tech remote will also change the TV menu settings.

Paying big bucks for HD converter boxes makes no sense. Rather than spending big bucks on a converter box that has an HD output and 5.1 outputs, I would be further ahead to apply the money toward an atsc digital TV.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wal-Mart (Markham) now carrying Digital Boxes!

I was shocked to see my local Wal-Mart in Markville Mall (Markham) carrying Digital Boxes! (I work there and have had several people ask about them, but thought we wouldn't carry them anytime soon.) We have 9 of the RCA DTA800. And this is after I'd just bought a Zenith DTT901 off of eBay. (Though I think the Zenith has a more sensitive tuner, so I'm not too disappointed that I didn't wait longer to buy one.) I'm actually quite shocked that many Canadian stores have gotten on the ball about ordering these in.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I was in Best Buy today and noticed they have both the Apex DT250A and Coby DTV102 DTV boxes in stock. They were both the same price and the sales staff didn't seem to know much about them.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
2 more major Canadian retailers have them now

In my travels yesterday I saw that here in Delta, BC, there are 2 more major national chain stores carrying DTV Converter boxes:

Superstore (a Loblaws chain): RCA DTA800 (see Posts #765 & 795 for member reviews)
Zellers: Craig CVD508

If you live in a DTV area and want to try one out you should phone first to see if they have them. They are competitively priced with other brands and stores, but frankly I don't know much about whether those boxes are any good or not. So far the consensus is that the Zenith DTT901 is still the benchmark.

I didn't even know Craig was still out there... I had a Craig car stereo back in the '80s. ;) The Craig boxes at Zellers had stickers on them saying that they had been imported from the U.S. and that Canadians should disregard the labeling about "coupons", in reference to the U.S. program.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OTA Digital Converter Boxes In Canada

Anyone know where these can be purchased in GTA? Or alternatively, which online sellers carry one or other of them?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Zellers and Superstore boxes

As described in Post #832, this is the Craig CVD508 converter box available at Zellers:

and this is the RCA DTA800 converter box available at Superstore (Loblaws chain):

·
Registered
32 Posts
The DTA800 RCA unit was available at Walmart last summer here in Hamilton. I think I've seen a couple of different units since, but oddly nothing that I can remember being mentioned here. (that's how I got to test the RCA box, a friend bought one) :)

Cameron
I can not find anything at Wallmart.ca (ATSC, Converter , RCA).
It seems that they do not carry them.
Is anyone bought it from them in Toronto?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can not find anything at Wallmart.ca (ATSC, Converter , RCA).
It seems that they do not carry them.
Is anyone bought it from them in Toronto?
I saw a pile of RCA atsc converters in the london (fanshawe park rd) walmart supercenter last december, but the next time I checked, they'd all gone

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Apex DT250A Converter Box

Some owners aren't happy with the Apex DT250A's performance but it features analogue pass-through, which is important for people who own older TVs that have only a single RF input and no AV inputs who want to continue using their TV set's original NTSC tuner for the Canadian analogue stations while the RF coax is connected through this box.

As seen in a Best Buy in southern Ontario:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts