Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I doubt you'll find it locally in the GTA or anywhere in Canada. I would purchase it at copperbox.com since they ship USPS so you just have to pay the taxes and $5 dollars brokerage.

Macros

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't waste your time. I ended up ordering from CopperBox after trying to find a Canadian retailer. Didn't really expect to find one in the first place. Even the companies listed as "resellers" on DVICO's site didn't have it.

+ it would probably end up being more expensive here as anyone here is going to carry what like maybe 1 in stock :)

BTW I'm getting ABC,NBC,FOX, PBS, CBS OTA from Buffalo with a only a Zenith Silver Sensor on my FusionIII. Sadly I can't get these AND CITY HD (for Enterprise) at the same time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about Digital Connection.com?
What do you mean you can't get CityHD at the same time?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Digital Connection didn't have them in stock when I ordered mine. DC is a well respected outfit, doubt you'd have any problems with them.

I'm kind of Proof of Concepting this OTA thing before deciding to buy a real antenna such as the ChannelMaster from NBT. I picked up the Silver Sensor in a Trip to the us for $30 bucks. Trouble is it's a highly directional antenna so when pointed to Buffalo I don't have enough signal strenght for CITY...I'm guessing a proper outdoor bowtie would solve that. Ironically when I do nothing other than jack in my house cable line to the OTA tuner I can get CITY-HD ( essentially house as antenna ) but clearly none of the Buffalo ones.

Wifes gonna freak...;-). Digital Cable, Projectors, HTPCS's now an antenna....

Z

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, is it worth it to get one? I get all those networks on BEV but not the Buffalo ones. I want more HD content but there is no point if they are just duplicates.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
If you already have HD via satellite or cable then there's not much point in getting an OTA HD card since you're only going to pick up the same channels, albeit different feeds.

The only real advantages with OTA is that you can record to your HD and you will get the US commercials.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks,
I can record to my hard drive satellite HD anyways so I guess there is no point. BEV still has the american commercials but for how long I don't know. Not a big deal though since I watch the shows and not the commercials.
I hate the black CTV bug though.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
kelmk said:
Thanks,
I can record to my hard drive satellite HD anyways so I guess there is no point. BEV still has the american commercials but for how long I don't know. Not a big deal though since I watch the shows and not the commercials.
I hate the black CTV bug though.
How do you record to your hard drive? Has BEV released an HD PVR?

·
Registered
2 Posts
zancid1 said:
Digital Connection didn't have them in stock when I ordered mine. DC is a well respected outfit, doubt you'd have any problems with them.

I'm kind of Proof of Concepting this OTA thing before deciding to buy a real antenna such as the ChannelMaster from NBT. I picked up the Silver Sensor in a Trip to the us for $30 bucks. Trouble is it's a highly directional antenna so when pointed to Buffalo I don't have enough signal strenght for CITY...I'm guessing a proper outdoor bowtie would solve that. Ironically when I do nothing other than jack in my house cable line to the OTA tuner I can get CITY-HD ( essentially house as antenna ) but clearly none of the Buffalo ones.

Wifes gonna freak...;-). Digital Cable, Projectors, HTPCS's now an antenna....

Z
Hi Zancid1,
I'm interested in the FusionHDTV ATSC (with QAM) and wondered what your experience is with receiving HDTV either through Roger's cable and/or OTA antenna. Specifically, can I get HDTV channels above 125 through cable. As I understand it, Rogers broadcasts HDTV begining at channel 225.

Anyhelp would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
thotdoc

·
Registered
109 Posts
Zancid,

Where do you live that you get all of those channels OTA? I'm in Brampton (Bovaird and 410), wondering what channels I can expect to get from there.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
thotdoc said:
Hi Zancid1,
I'm interested in the FusionHDTV ATSC (with QAM) and wondered what your experience is with receiving HDTV either through Roger's cable and/or OTA antenna. Specifically, can I get HDTV channels above 125 through cable. As I understand it, Rogers broadcasts HDTV begining at channel 225
Rogers encrypts most of the digital cable channels so you may not be able to get them with this card although I am not sure if the HD channels that are available OTA, such as the Canadian and US networks, are encrypted. However the VOD channels that other people in your neighbourhood are watching are NOT encrypted and you may be able to pick up some free VOD movies.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Macros17 said:
I doubt you'll find it locally in the GTA or anywhere in Canada. I would purchase it at copperbox.com since they ship USPS so you just have to pay the taxes and $5 dollars brokerage.

Macros
What was the USPS service like? How long did it take to arrive, and in what condition? I want to order a MDP-130, but I'm worried that they might end up using UPS, and I'll get a huge brokerage fee from them.

thank,
protovision

1 - 16 of 16 Posts