Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Perhaps they changed it, but it now states:

"Please note that we have identified an issue that may cause Internet usage shown on this site to be incorrect in some cases. In order to ensure we provide reliable information to all our clients, the usage tracker will be unavailable while we resolve the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience. "

No mention of "overstated". Perhaps their lawyers made them change it. If this is the case, I may contest all my "over-usage" charges and ask them to prove that I went over given that their info may be incorrect.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
An article in today's Toronto Star addressed this issue. You can absolutely bet your life that statement was lawyer-approved.

What a joke. Bell is so adament about getting UBB yet it's incapable of implementing a proper, working internet usage meter.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
As I have written before

In Canada, the federal agency responsible for ensuring the accuracy of measurements is Measurement Canada. To date, the federal agency has done nothing to ensure that Canadians internet billing, like their gas, water or electricity is measured accurately.
Previously, I was somewhat blase about this issue but I realize now that we can't trust the Internet Service Providers to get this right on their own.

We need measurement Canada to legislate how Internet usage is measured and to oversee the development of an independent verification mechanism.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
merged two threads since they discuss Bell Personal Internet meter

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Those of us with Fibe TV don't have the option of using a third party router.
Not sure about that. You should be able to connect another router after the Fibe router. If the Fibe router is configurable, disable NAT in it so the real IP is passed to the second router.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I can see some problems with that. First of all, the TV/Internet service runs over two VLANS, each with their own WAN IP address.

Putting that aside, how would my own router know what public IP to pick up via the Fibe modem/router?

I could do a double NAT, but I'm not crazy about that kind of set up.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
In Canada, the federal agency responsible for ensuring the accuracy of measurements is Measurement Canada. To date, the federal agency has done nothing to ensure that Canadians internet billing, like their gas, water or electricity is measured accurately.
Previously, I was somewhat blase about this issue but I realize now that we can't trust the Internet Service Providers to get this right on their own.

We need measurement Canada to legislate how Internet usage is measured and to oversee the development of an independent verification mechanism.
I'm not sure where you posted that before and perhaps it is in a more relevant thread, but I will add my 2c here.

I suspect Measurement Canada / Industry Canada would need to receive a formal complaint before investigating. Even then I am curious if an amendment to the Weights and Measures Act would be required. The Act was written long before commerce consisting of the transfer of electronic data was conceived.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
FYI, from the Measurement Canada website:

Fair Measure for All.

Measurement Canada is responsible for ensuring the integrity and accuracy of measurement in the Canadian marketplace. We:

• develop and administer the laws and requirements governing measurement,
  • evaluate, approve and certify measuring devices, and
  • investigate complaints of suspected inaccurate measurement.
While times have changed, in reading it, it certainly seems like they are the federal agency responsible for this.

For clarification, I have contacted their media folk.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
how would my own router know what public IP to pick up via the Fibe modem/router?
You enter the internet service IP into the router setup.

Hugh, thanks for following up on this. I would guess that Measurement Canada would be responsible for internet billing measurements. IIRC, they also do things like food store scales and gas pumps. OTOH, I wonder if Measurement Canada has the money and expertise to take on the issue of internet billing.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
That would be fine, if I was given a static IP...

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
OTOH, I wonder if Measurement Canada has the money and expertise to take on the issue of internet billing.
Doubt it. But maybe its time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The official reply from Measurement Canada is they do not want to get involved with the measurement of internet bandwidth.

If Bell is going to force caps on wholesale ISP's, I think it's time we developed a standard to accurately measure the internet usage. Especially with Bell's DPI throwing away packets, I am willing to Bet Bell's meters include those packets that never reach you as part of your usage, and subsequently bill you for it.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The official reply from Measurement Canada is they do not want to get involved with the measurement of internet bandwidth.
That's very public spirited of them. I wonder if this is covered in their mandate?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Seriously? Has that been posted on their site or publicly printed?

According to their site

Measurement Canada is responsible for ensuring the integrity and accuracy of measurement in the Canadian marketplace. We:

• develop and administer the laws and requirements governing measurement,
  • evaluate, approve and certify measuring devices, and
  • investigate complaints of suspected inaccurate measurement.
I would certainly think that internet measurement falls within their purview.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A member of another internet related message board wrote them recently and in a nut shell their reply was they have no desire get involved in internet usage metering.

I would post a link to the thread but I am not sure what the site rules are regarding links to other message boards.

EDIT: I see that it says founder under your user name. I guess you can tell me if you want me to post the link to the correspondence with Measurement Canada here or not.

The issue of Usage Based Billing (UBB), is something every Canadian should be versed in as right now decisions are being made that will affect the internet in Canada as you know it, as well as the future (your kids).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is the response letter.

Dear .,

Thank you for your inquiry expressing your concerns about the internet usage measurement reported by your service provider.

Measurement Canada is solely responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Weights and Measures Act and Regulations, and the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act and Regulations.

However, these Acts are silent with regards to bandwidth measuring devices for internet usage billing. Measurement Canada does not currently regulate devices that use bits and bytes to measure internet usage, as is also the case with national legal metrology laboratories in most industrialized countries.

Thank you for taking the time to contact our agency. Please feel free to contact me if you require any additional information regarding the programs and services offered by Measurement Canada.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another thing brought up in that thread is the definition of a Bit of Data.

A definition for a "bit" of data as an actual volume or quantity unit of measure has not been defined and is clearly a different measure just as a Centimeter and Gram is different than that of an Inch or a Pound.

If one definition of a Kilobyte is 1024 bits of data and another definition is 1000 bits of data than it should be clearly defined as to which is to be used as the Standard Unit of Measure. As 1 GB of data @ $2.50 per GB is less costly with a 1024bit kilobyte than that of a 1000bit kilobyte.

May not mean much when your only 2.12 GB over your monthly Cap. but multiply that 24 bit difference across 20 odd million data consumers and it potentially adds up to millions of dollars...Which to Bell could mean the difference between solid gold fixtures in the executive washroom or only gold plated.
Everyone should read that thread and really question the accuracy of Bell's usage measuring system, as well as the true intentions behind it.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts