Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a little concerned about the new usage caps, but I've signed up for extra GB's from bell so I hope I'm covered...but I have a question...

Where is my Internet meter?

The gas company gave me a meter, as did the power company. I use them to independently confirm my usage.

How do I know Bell is being honest? How do I confirm independently what my usage is? How do I have any power in a dispute over fees, if my only source of information concerning my usage is provided by the company that I'm having the dispute with.

I don't have a dispute with my provider right now, but what if I had to take them to court?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
How do I confirm independently what my usage is?
Discussed many times around here.

If you only use one computer, you can get software which will monitor and record your internet traffic usage but the best way is to use (or buy) a router that can track internet usage. Some other routers can be flashed with Tomato which gives your router extra functionality such as tracking of internet usage.

Frankly, I don't think its worth it. As discussed elsewhere, I really don't think Bell is in the business of cooking your usage numbers.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
On the bell site when you sign in you can see your consumption, as well you can see your historical consumption.. You can also have it email you when you hit certain thresholds so you dont go over...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I think OP is asking how he can independently verify that Bell numbers are accurate.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Welcome gizmo3141,

In case you are unaware, computers are not the only devices that use internet connections; wired or wireless (WiFi). Other devices include smartphones, gaming consoles, some digital boxes for TV (satellite), portable players/iPod Touch/iPads, etc., etc....

If you suspect you are having problems with overage charges, first figure out what devices in your home are accessing the internet via your Bell connection.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I regularly compare the usage reported by Bell with the stats kept by my router running Tomato. They match pretty much exactly. I am convinced that Bell is accurately measuring my internet usage, but I'll keep checking anyways.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks Larry.

It's guys like you (and I mean it in a positive manner) that let me not have to worry about it. The publicity and possible lawsuits if Bell or any other ISP was found to be cooking the books would be too costly for them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is this Tomato of which you speak?

Yes I know I could easily install an application on each of my computers and then add up the results from each. But what if I'm lazy? Or unaware of how computers work? What if I'm not really comfortable poking around in my router settings?

How am I going to be aware of my usage on an independent basis? I'm thinking something easy to use like a desktop application on ONE computer, or even better, a little box with a number in GB that I can walk into the room and say 'ooh, were getting a little close to going over..." Plug it into the WAN port on your switch as a pass through type of device, or into the phone line going into the modem...but I think I can only wish...

You know, something even my 77 year old Mom could use.

Yes I know Bell has all the tools on it's web site. Good for them. But on principal, it can't be trusted, because it can't be verified.

Would you be comfortable without your gas meter or hydro meter? How about a car without a gas guage? Buy gas, and just trust the oil company that you got what you paid for?

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I think that either Bell or the CRTC has to address this. And I'm pretty sure they check these forums...

Thanks..
:O)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's guys like you (and I mean it in a positive manner) that let me not have to worry about it. The publicity and possible lawsuits if Bell or any other ISP was found to be cooking the books would be too costly for them.
How would we ever find out? How would we ever sue them without independent data?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
gizmo, your logic makes absolutely no sense.

Many routers allow you to monitor bandwidth and give you exactly want you want.

Did your 77 year old mom set up your computer network, modem and router. Clearly if she can do that, she can admin her router.

If not, then she can get the same person who set up the network, modem and router to configure the router to monitor and deliver the info you need.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The gas company gave me a meter, as did the power company. I use them to independently confirm my usage.
Yes I know Bell has all the tools on it's web site. Good for them. But on principal, it can't be trusted, because it can't be verified.
Isn't this inconsistent? You trust the measuring tools the gas/power companies give you but not the tools the telcos/cable companies provide?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
What is this Tomato of which you speak?
Tomato is a 3rd party firmware that can be flashed onto some compatible routers. It allows increased flexibility and control (what you are looking for) of the associated network, than what the manufacturer's official/original firmware provides.
But what if I'm lazy? Or unaware of how computers work? What if I'm not really comfortable poking around in my router settings?
One option would be to not bother having an internet connection.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Starting in October, I started running our own bandwidth monitoring software on every machine that is connected to the internet.

What we started seeing, was that our actual usage on this end, was less than half of what Rogers claimed we were using.
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2907727

No clue if this story bears any truth. The person in the story is refering to Rogers, not Bell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isn't this inconsistent? You trust the measuring tools the gas/power companies give you but not the tools the telcos/cable companies provide?
That's because the tools are different.

The power and gas meters are calibrated according to industry and government standards, and are physically installed on MY premises.

Bell's usage monitor is installed on THEIR servers, on THEIR premises, and I'm assuming is built and maintained by THEM.

So, the answer is NO, I'm not willing to trust the tools that the cable/telcos provide.

That is unless someone can show me if the CRTC has published standards for the software, and is monitoring it's maintenance and reliability...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
the best way is to use (or buy) a router that can track internet usage.
Agreed, I use DD-WRT on a compatible LinkSys router. It shows daily data in/out with a calendar month total. Be aware that ISPs may use the most recent 30 days rather than the calendar month to determine UBB billing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I regularly compare the usage reported by Bell with the stats kept by my router running Tomato. They match pretty much exactly. I am convinced that Bell is accurately measuring my internet usage, but I'll keep checking anyways.
What if you are using the BELL supplied wireless modem/router? Are there any tools to monitor from it? I have multiple computers, PVRs, Ipods, Blackberries, XBboxes and blu-ray player that are all using the network and downloading from the internet.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I don't think the Bell supplied routers have much in the way of traffic monitoring. If you want to invest in a new router, you can just use the Bell one as a DSL modem (turn off the router functions). With a new router you can flash either Tomato or DD-WRT or other.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Internet Usage 0%

I have Bell Fibe 16 on a 4 month promotion, I have placed more calls in 5 days with Bell than I have with the last 3 years with Videotron.

That said, I am actually afraid to call them back now that things are sorted out but my internet usuage reads as 0% each day.

I doubt that coupled with my Videotron line I will bust 90GB in a month, but is there a certain window of time before the tracking service works?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Right now Bell shows the following for their Internet tracking application:

Please note that we have identified an issue that may cause internet usage shown on this site to be overstated in some cases. In order to ensure we provide reliable information to all our clients, the usage tracker will be unavailable while we resolve the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Now I've got to wonder if people were over-billed due to incorrect figures. Either way, it's not good.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts