Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the progress (or lack thereof) such a secret for Halifax? I read it's because of competition but this response doesn't really answer anything.

There are many ads regarding free Aliant TV for up to 12 months. This makes me wonder if it's not even on the horizon for Halifax; or if it's just around the corner and they're trying to get people hooked on their services first so that they can upsell their Fibreop service afterwards?

If anyone can shed any light on this subject it would be appreciated. I'm starting to contemplate getting rid of my Bell TV and wouldn't mind having a FibreOP bundle as an option.

Thanks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Like you, timidement, I have also wondered why Bell Aliant appears to be "ignoring" its biggest market in the Maritime provinces, as far as Fibre Op TV goes. (I'm not really interested in "Bell Aliant TV", which is available here, since that is a much lower quality service) It has been rolled out in several centres in NB, Charlottetown, PEI, and in the Sydney, NS, area, but Halifax does not even seem to be in their plans. Hopefully, someone else might have some "insights" as to why Halifax is being ignored.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wonder if the rollout has to do with the fact that the provincial gov't here in NB and the fed gov't shelled out a huge chunk of our money to help BellAliant do the fibre install. I know that the NS gov't has recently done the same but believe they got NB's money first. Could be part of the reason although does seem like a huge market to leave untapped for so long.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Is there a lot of underground wiring in Halifax? I know they started in Fredericton because the overwhelming majority of the city has above-ground cabling, which makes it relatively easy to string more.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with the underground wiring, also it appears that most apartment complexes, condos etc can't get fibre op at the moment either, even in the areas where it has already rolled out, I know a friend of mine who had fiber op at his home, and moved into a condo, was advised it could be 2-3 years before condos get it, even though he lives around the corner from the switching station.

So that could be another reason why they haven't invested in that market yet either as it would involve a lot of re-wiring in the multi unit dwellings.

The only Apartment complex I recall reading somewheres that FOrest Hill Towers in Fredericton was was partnering with Bell Aliant to have their unit re-wired for the service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts