Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple of months I've been renting blu-ray discs from my local Blockbuster store.

I find the selection to be quite limited though, specifically their "favourites" blu-ray discs, I was wondering if there are other rental places that offer a wider selection? Btw, I live in Mississauga.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Blockbuster/Rogers video are the best options that I've seen.

If anything, I'd expect your physical disc rental choices to decrease as time goes on. Streaming video is unquestionably the future. It just doesn't make sense to go to the store to pick up your data (and then later return it) if you have a decent internet connection.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Has anyone seen Blu-rays in those red vending machines in supermarkets here in Canada?

When we were in the US, I saw those RedBoxes that had DVD for $.99 and BD for $1.79. I've seen the DVD here in Canada for $1.99, I think - but no blu-ray.

That's just here on Vancouver Island, though; wondering if the urban areas have the good goods.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I get mine from Rogers Video Direct. With them, you create a list of discs you want to watch and they'll send them to you as available. I have the cheapest plan and since May 2009, I have received about 200 discs. Many discs are available in Blu-ray.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Zip.ca has a similar plan. New titles take some time to arrive though. It costs extra to get them quickly.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
^^^^
Zip.ca is more than similar. It's the same service. Rogers just puts their own name on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys..I just signed-up with Zip's free trial.

I tried their service some 8 years ago but cancelled after a few months. The issue I had with them at the time was that you almost never get sent new release movies or any popular title, i hope they have improved in this department.

They have 3000 blu-ray titles though, and they have many "favourites" titles (unlike Netflix). So I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Dances - I agree with you that streaming will be the way to go, but the titles they currently have just do not appeal to me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been using Zip for the last year and it serves my needs although its far from a perfect solution. Slow turn around on top titles and you don't always get the genre you are in the mood for. Most times I can return a movie on Monday and have a new one by Friday.

Note, I'm just getting Ironman2 which has been in my top 10 since release day. Obviously you have to be patient and flexible.

For any BD I need to see now (happens very rare though) I rent from Queen Video which I find has a very good selection and also have foreign or odd films that are hard to find other places. Plus their pricing is very reasonable ($4/movie).

I purchase any movie I think I will want to watch more than once and has reference (or near) quality.

Since we save the good movies for weekends we can fill in the week between TV shows and Netflix.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I used Zip a few months, but gave up after a few damaged discs. They were good about sending a replacement usually, but it takes time - and that turnaround time from Monday return to Friday arrival is different when the return was one you could not watch.

I even received one that was broken. The package did not look damaged in any way, so it looked like it has been put into the mailer broken!

Hopefully they have improved their quality control. I would give them another try, but once burned.......

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Local Blockbuster. It's convenient, store staff is friendly, and they typically have all the new Blu-ray releases

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I juggle between the local Blockbuster and Roger's. Sometimes one has a release available in Blu-Ray that the other has only in dvd. Sometimes one has a movie the other does not. Between the two, I'm usually able to get what I want in Blu-Ray, although lately Roger's has been getting most of my business because of their three new releases/no late fees for $15.99 deal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Been using zip.ca for more a year and a half now (120 titles so far). Only 2 damaged discs in all that time, both replaced. I'm in Vancouver and if disc is shipped from Van, it's only a 2-day turnaround. From Ottawa or Toronto, it's more like 5 days. Good for people who don't watch movies every other day.

Over 18 months, I'm paying an average $2.85/disc (all of them Blu-ray). It even goes cheaper when I am able redeem my zip points and get an upgraded plan for free. My family can then watch 2 or 3 movies a week. We did this last year in the summer months when school was out. Planning to do it again this summer.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
zip.ca

decent service... currently wading thru battlestar galactica series....

They make a lot of money from me.... I'm on the 2 disc plan, and maybe watch 1-2 movies a month.....

P

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm on the 2-disc unlimited plan as well. As long as I'm diligent in returning the disc on Monday, I'm almost always assured of having a disc on hand every Friday night when it's "movie time" in the house. The few times I've been fortunate enough to have them ship the disc from Vancouver, I'd have two in-hand come Friday night.

I like the system. But it's not for everyone, especially those who watches movies on impulse, or those who have the need to watch a particular movie on a particular night.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've been with Zip.ca for close to a year. I've never received a bad or broken disc. Last Summer, there were delays at the GTA post office. Once things were back to normal, Zip gave me a month of extra free rentals to compensate. The only snags are the occasional post office delay and that it usually takes a couple of months for new releases to arrive. One time, I received another customers disc by mistake due to misdirection by the post office. I sent it back but it's obvious how that could have ended up being a "lost disc."

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
^^^^
I agree. Most of the problems are due to the post office. I've received a couple of damaged disks and not only do they replace it, but they also send a bonus disc. In the over 200 discs I've received, only one got lost on the way back. However, some have taken a week or more, thanks to Canada Post.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Blockbuster Here, there is a great discrepence between stores though depending on location. One of our local stores only carries limited BD titles & # of copies availible is usually a handfull of copies, another store nearby is virtually 85 % BD in selection # of titles availible for rent is usually about tripple the other store. So a lot depends on location from what I can tell.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Do any of those vending machines rent BD?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts