Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find this plan ppl are referring to on the rogers website

also what is the difference between unlimited browsing and unlimited data plan?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
browsing is for Wap/XML only, which means using your phones built in xml browser ie nokia browser to the www or wap service (port 80). and it goes through a proxy ie: goam.com

unlimited internet means you can use a full html browser, full internet applications like pop/smtp email, streaming, tethering, full internet, full everything

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. Paolo, for WAP/XML does that mean I can still visit sites like CNN.com and Google.com and Gabbr.com?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
you can visit www.google.com, but it may not show correctlly on your browser, your phone may prefer the optimized m.google.com site instead. lots of sites start with m. or wap. or mobile. those are optimized for people with unlimited wap/surfing plans.

·
Registered
138 Posts
browsing is for Wap/XML only, which means using your phones built in xml browser ie nokia browser to the www or wap service (port 80). and it goes through a proxy ie: goam.com

unlimited internet means you can use a full html browser, full internet applications like pop/smtp email, streaming, tethering, full internet, full everything
As with many things wireless, the answer is "it depends". In this case, on the phone you have.

With my Nokia N95 (which, for some reason, Rogers doesn't consider a smart phone) I can use the $10/month unlimited browsing to access (using Opera Mini) regular or WAP websites, use GMail and Google Maps (with AGPS enabled) and even post pictures with Google Buzz. You can't do something like upload photos to Flickr, but I'd do that on WiFi anyways. However, you could use the $2.99/20MB add on to temporarily get a true "data" connection.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
bobafart is rockin a fresh nexusone so he needs real data. :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
the $10/mo surfing plan, used to not include many things, like external applications like gmail, or third party web browsers like oprah, but now it does. Also, it used to be priced only $7 before, so the extra $3 increase, it has allowed many of those extras. its still not a true data plan. but good for the budget concious people

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks.. so does that $10/month allow you to visit any website or just the ones listed on the site?

and is this 3G speed?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
There is a difference between a "Mobile phone" and a "Smartphone"

Its as clear as mud, and i think they like it that way but here is a disclaimer on there socialite plan point 5 below:

1. Includes unlimited on device mobile browsing, excluding tethering (use of device as wireless modem) for 24-hours from the time of purchase on select Rogers certified devices. Usage subject to Rogers Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy, rogers.com/terms. Data transmission charges of 3¢/KB apply when roaming.
2. Includes 20MB of data for on-device mobile browsing only (using a BlackBerry device) or for email, IM, on-device browsing and application use (using other Smartphones). Excludes tethering (use of device as wireless modem). Data transmission charges of 3¢/KB apply when roaming.
5. Includes unlimited on-device mobile browsing, excluding tethering (use of device as wireless modem) on select Rogers certified devices (excludes smartphones). Usage subject to Rogers Terms of services and Acceptable usage policy; rogers.com/terms. Data transmission charges of 5¢/page viewed when roaming in the US and 25¢/page viewed when roaming internationally apply. Visit Rogers.com/mobileinternet for details.

·
Registered
138 Posts
bobafart is rockin a fresh nexusone so he needs real data. :)
I'm not sure, but since the N1 is a smartphone, Rogers may not let it use the $10 Unlimited Browsing add-on, which is primarily intended for lowly "mobile" phones. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Rogers won't allow the $10 unlimited browsing on a smartphone. I can do pretty much anything (except tethering) on my SE C905 using the $10 UMB option. It's really a data plan for dumbphones (but without tethering).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts