Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stupid condo association won't be meeting until July 6th, so I won't be able to get a letter to let the guy drill into my deck railing so I contacted Bell, and they said I could use a tripod if I could not get the letter. They also said that I could buy one of the installer. I'm too scared to think what crazy price he'd be asking for, so I might just try and find one myself first so I know what cost I'll have.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I got a 3 foot tripod from Radio Shack last year..... however Radio Shack in Canada was taken over by Circuit City and all the Canadian stores will be changed over to Circuit City by the end of this month...... and from what I heard there not going to carry any antenna hardware like this anymore.... but if you look around I'm sure you'll still find one somewhere... might even get it at a clearance price.... I paid $35 for mine.

here is a cool site for an idea... using this method the dish is upside down however it will still work but it makes it very hard to see it up on a balcony.

http://www.bbrv.dreamstation.com/sat.html

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Bell World stores can now get them...i think they are about $80 and can be mounted with the included tripod legs, or (if you don't install the legs) can be mounted on a flat surface (like a deck, or patio).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to head there at lunch on my break. Was the 3 feet tall enough? I guess it depends on the balcony...I would think it's good enough for the month that I need it until I get my stupid letter from the condo association.

Steve

HDTV101 said:
I got a 3 foot tripod from Radio Shack last year..... however Radio Shack in Canada was taken over by Circuit City and all the Canadian stores will be changed over to Circuit City by the end of this month...... and from what I heard there not going to carry any antenna hardware like this anymore.... but if you look around I'm sure you'll still find one somewhere... might even get it at a clearance price.... I paid $35 for mine.

here is a cool site for an idea... using this method the dish is upside down however it will still work but it makes it very hard to see it up on a balcony.

http://www.bbrv.dreamstation.com/sat.html

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
wanton007 said:
Was the 3 feet tall enough? I guess it depends on the balcony
Keep in mind- depending on where in Canada you are- the dish is "aiming" at an angle of 40 to 50 degrees off the horizon. So a 3 foot tall tripod would put the LNB at 4 feet off the ground. If you keep it 1 foot away from the balcony ledge, your ledge would have to be over 5 feet tall for it not to be able to "see" over it.

The signal comes down, bonces off the dish, then the dish directs it to the LNB. The LNB does not "point" at the satellite up in the sky.

(Took me a while to get my head around this at first too.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts