Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
These may be found by searching for Photocell Light Control. Beware of cheap products or those with short warranties. I unknowingly purchased some with a nine month warranty and they all burned out in 6 months. I think they were RCA or something similar fro Home Depot. Previously, I had always used Leviton light controls and they typically work well, last a long time and are reasonably priced. I have some Leviton products that are over 20 years old that still work well long after some cheaper brands died. Leviton and other reputable wiring products can easily be found at electrical wholesalers. Some serve the public but other don't.

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
Another option might be to purchase an LED outdoor fixture with a built in photocell, as many do these days. Some include a motion detector in addition to a photocell.

Yet another option may be a timer switch that has a built in calendar that turns the light on and off at the local sunset and sunrise times. It's not as accurate but often includes other functions. I use a timer indoors combined with an outdoor photocell to limit the time the outside lights are on.

I have seen a plug in photo cell which has a male and female socket which you simply plug this on the end of the chord of your appliance and it will turn on when it gets dark and switches it off at day light.
There are also screw in adapters for lamps. I've also seen cheap adapters than can be mounted in the fixture casing. These tend to be fairly useless, especially for LEDs and CFLs as they do not turn off and on cleanly. The better wall plug models may work well for things like non-permanent outdoor lights but are not designed or approved for permanent fixtures.

I have also seen a wall plate with a photocell sensor.
Generally useless for an outdoor fixture as they need to be covered with a waterproof cover. Mounting them inside usually defeats the purpose as indoor light, not outdoor, is detected.

Avoid two wire photocells and motion detectors they are are often useless with LEDs and CFLs. They rely on the resistance of incandescent lamps to operate and have an internal voltage drop at all times. Make sure that any device has at least three wires, including neutral and power feeds, and a switched output connection.

I unknowingly purchased some with a nine month warranty and they all burned out in 6 months.
That should have read 6 month warranty and they all burned out, out of warranty, in about 9 months. What a scam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts