Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Depending on the wiring of the outdoor fixture you have several options.

I have seen a plug in photo cell which has a male and female socket which you simply plug this on the end of the chord of your appliance and it will turn on when it gets dark and switches it off at day light.

I have also seen a wall plate with a photocell sensor. A Family member had this in one of his buildings he owned. It basically is wired in place of a outdoor light switch and mounts to a junction box, it has a weather proof cover with a photocell sticking out so when it gets dark, it activates the lights on the outside of the building, and then turns them off in the morning. I like this because it is neat and tidy and makes a clean install but not sure who sells them, We believe it was already there when he bought the building

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
one last thing i forgot to mention, some people have a outdoor lamp fixture or some kind of outdoor lighting on their property, but its hard wired or permanent fixture. You can buy a screw in adaptor to the edison socket with a photocell and then screw in the light bulb, then your outdoor light will turn on and off on its own at nite or day.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
That might be the Photocell I've seen mounted on an outdoor weather proof junction box on a building. Yes if you can mount it directly to the light fixture (provided there is a hole and the wires can be spliced into at that junction that would also work well.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
That is good, then you also want the wires to be accessible once you mount the sensor. the wires should be long enough to reach the area where the wire junctions and spices take place, also if the fixture does not have a proper junction box for the wire connections and splices a proper one is used within.

best of luck with your project

1 - 4 of 4 Posts