Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a 32 GB MicroSD card, and can't seem to find one. Best Buy, Factory Direct, Future Shop, and Tiger Direct all have MicroSD cards, but go up to 16 GB only.

Anyone know of a brick-and-mortar store in Toronto that sells them?

Also: anyone have the website addresses of stores in the downtown computer district?

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out CanadaComputers and NCIX doesn't have 'em either. I was worried I'd have to order one directly from the manufacturer -- SanDisk has 'em for $204! Fortunately, there are a ton on eBay that are far more reasonably priced.

I'm also gonna head down to the computer district downtown and see what the prices are like there.

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
So, you have discovered the reason the "lower-end" stores don't have them! They are leading-edge right now, and typically 4X the price of a 16GB one. The real reason I was posting is just to tell you to be wary of class 2 ones in such a large size (the most common you'll see from SanDisk) unless you are sure your app works OK with them. Still, I wouldn't go less than class 4 = more $$. You probably already know this, but JIC since they're not cheap and may be hard to return... :)

If you buy online, consider from the UK too, maybe through amazon. Name-brand MicroSD usually sells much cheaper there than here or the U.S., and don't forget you don't pay the VAT either so real price is a lot lower than they show. I have bought MicroSD through UK amazon a couple times, but only up to 16GB. They typically come with some adapters, and in the UK one to convert to a USB key is commonly included unlike here, handy too.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cfraser, NO ONE carries them. I went to all the computer stores in our "computer district", and not one of them has it. But apparently in China, they're quite common -- to the point that you can find no-name versions of them on eBay for around $25! I ordered one and when it comes we'll see how well it works. I'm not terribly hopeful, but my fingers are crossed. If it turns out to not work, at least I didn't spend a couple hundred dollars.

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can pretty much Guaranty the ones you buy on Ebay at a heavily discounted price at Fake :( , they have firgured a way to adjust the register so the read as the correct capacity but will corrupt any data written to the card over it's actual capacity (usually 2GB)

I ran the H2testW program on one I bought and here is the
verdict: MicroSD Card is 2GB NOT 32GB as Purchased,

here is the H2Testw log:
The media is defective.
1.9 GByte OK (4073472 sectors)
28.3 GByte DATA LOST (59351040 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
28.3 GByte corrupted (59351040 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x000000007b30d600
Expected: 0x000000007b30d600
Found: 0x0000000000000000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 3.40 MByte/s
Reading speed: 6.09 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Get the Program Here is Freeware

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GoWFO, thanks so much for that post! I downloaded the freeware to which you linked and will test it out immediately when the card is finally delivered to me. The seller was adamant about the great quality of his stuff, so much so that he guaranteed full money back, and since I paid by PayPal, it would be a cinch to get my money back anyway.

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Nice, be sure to let us know (somehow?) the reliable vendor's name if it works out. Phones are apparently one of the pickier devices with slower speed MicroSDHC (and I can verify that mine is a picky one)...I don't know what you're putting it in, but if it was a phone and it still worked that would be great.

At the worst, with a cheap adapter you could at least get a stick out of it, probably good for something...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I want such a large capacity card is that I was planning on buying an HTC smartphone and using it in place of my cell phone and iPod. But I've got over 20 GB of music, none of which I wish to abandon, so I need a card that can hold at least that much.

I will indeed let you know what the test results say when the card comes in. Can't believe it still isn't here -- it's been a week!

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I usually expect mailed items to take 3 weeks from China.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
AFAIK the max for MicroSD right now being able to read by current smart phones is 16GB If you use a 32GB it may only see 16 or nothing at all.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Bob; I'll try to be more patient! :D

talljak, according to one of the websites I used to research smartphones, there are some that can read microSD cards up to 32 GB. Here's an example, using the phone that I was originally going to get, assuming I could actually get an inexpensive 32 GB card: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire-3077.php. It's in the section marked "Memory".

cheers,
supervij

EDIT: Update on the order from eBay!
The eBay Loss Prevention department sent me an e-mail saying:
"We are writing to let you know that the listing for the following item you bid on has been removed:

200512431337 - New 32GB TF Memory Card 32G Micro SD SDHC MicroSDHC TF

We strongly recommend that you do not complete this purchase. Purchases of items listed on eBay but then completed outside of eBay are extremely risky. They are not covered by eBay buyer protection programs and are highly susceptible to fraud.

If you have already paid for this item but have not received it, you should act quickly to get your money back.

- If you paid with PayPal, you may be eligible for up to C$2,000 coverage at no cost.

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click the "Resolution Center" tab at the top of the page.
3. Click the "Report a Problem" link.
4. Select "Item Dispute" and click continue. Follow the directions to open a dispute and escalate to a claim.

PayPal claims must be filed within 45 days of the close of the listing. It can take 30 days or more to complete the investigation and resolve the dispute.

Our goal is to keep eBay safe so you can buy confidently. It is rare that something goes wrong with a transaction on eBay. Whenever these events do occur, we try to help as much as possible to resolve the issue."

When I sent the seller an e-mail asking him if the card shipped and when I can expect it, he replied that it has been shipped and to wait two to four weeks for delivery. But when I asked him to explain why he's no longer listed, he ignored that part of the e-mail.

I'm not overly worried about this; I paid by PayPal, so if I'm disappointed by anything, I can get my money back easily enough. Still, I'm curious to see what happens next! :)

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
AFAIK the max for MicroSD right now being able to read by current smart phones is 16GB
The specs for the Google Nexus One say it can take 32GB.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Well I guess the newer phones are taking over 16gb now. Good to know.
I even find it tricky to find a 16 some times. With a 16 I could put all my music and then some on my phone.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In case anyone's interested, I can tell you that the Chinese 32 GB microSD card was indeed a fake.

It finally came in the mail. Everything looked fine, but when I inserted the card into the adaptor, it wouldn't go in all the way. The adaptor looked very flimsy and I thought for sure I'd break it if I tried to get the card in any further. I borrowed an adaptor from my roommate and slid the whole thing into my laptop.

I used the Drive Capacity tester program that GoWFO kindly liked to above and it did read 32 GB. I was elated, but then thought to run the "write & verify" test. Turns out the card can hold only ONE gigabyte. Everything else will appear corrupted. Here's what the test read:

Warning: Only 31987 of 31988 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
949.9 MByte OK (1945536 sectors)
30.3 GByte DATA LOST (63563840 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
30.3 GByte corrupted (63563840 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000000000008
Expected: 0x0000000000000011
Found: 0x0000000000000000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 5.16 MByte/s
Reading speed: 1.35 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Not only that, but the seller has deleted his account! Which means PayPal likely won't be able to get our money back. He is, however, opening other accounts with different names but exactly the same wording and pictures of his previous one. So a warning to all out there: DO NOT buy these $20 cards from these guys!

Buying them from SanDisk for $204 remains the only option I've found. I no longer need one anyway. Still, thought someone might want to know what happened with the card I ordered from China.

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did you use your credit card to pay through pay pal? If pay pal is not going to do anything about it, I would have your credit card company charge back the purchase to pay pal.

If you do, do this, make your pay pal account is NOT linked to your bank account (I would make sure its not anyway).

Pay pal promises fraud protection. deleting an account shouldn't make any difference.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I paid through PayPal, which isn't linked to my bank account. I e-mailed the guy a couple times and haven't yet received any response. I contacted PayPal and they told me that my money would be refunded no problem. The problem, I suspect, will be them trying to get money from the seller.

With all these scammers, PayPal or eBay or both are gonna have to start making some changes; it's gotta be costing them too much.

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
954 Posts
I bought a 32 GB Micro SD card for my phone off of ebay, and so far there have been no problems in using it for the last 2 weeks. I've got about 22 GB of stuff on there (including plenty of videos) for my Sony Xperia 10.

I didn't buy the cheapest one out there, and I looked for a seller with solid feedback. The card did come from China, but the original 16 GB one that came with my phone by SanDisk was also made in China.

I know there are plenty of fakes on ebay, but this seller offered a full refund as well, and like I said, had great reviews. But maybe I should run that program and tested out anyways. But like I said, so far, no problems (knock on wood). Hopefully the card doesn't have a read / write cycle of only 200 or something like that. (And at least it not a fake razor blade that will cut open my face - now those are true horror stories from the fake product world of ebay).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts