Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the weekend I helped a friend set up her new TV. It amazes me how far TV technology has advanced the last 12 months (when I purchased mine). What really impressed me is that the TV came with a widget called ROVI which contained all the guide information for OTA, cable (analog or digital) and satellite. Browsing the guide in 1080x1920 was sweet compared to the PVR guides. Also, the TV could read just about every file format under the sun via a eHDD connected to the USB2 slot.

So here we have a digital signal + guide + storage device. Just wondering who will be the first to release a TV that can use the guide to schedule and store TV programming on an eHDD. For OTA it would be amazing. Bye-bye HTPC. For cable and satellite not so sure it would be allowed. But we can dream right?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
There was a Samsung or LG set out several years ago that had a built in PVR.

Without a standard like Cable Card, however, it's a niche product at best.

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps it just needed some time to mature and for people to become accustomed to devices and services like Netflix, Apple TV, Hulu, WDTV etc. Or just plain frustration with their cable packages. The day of traditional PVRs are numbered IMO.

it's a niche product at best
I see the large potential for OTA viewers. Especially in southern Ontario or the the US. Right now I don't see a need for a standard. The TVs already have the ATSC feed available. The storage is available, the guide is there. All that is missing is an app to link the guide to the storage device. Since you can download apps to your TV now it is not that difficult to disseminate. Heck I would be happy if I could record analog SD cable the same way.

Building a TV with built-in storage was not wise either. Look at the loops and hoops PVR owners go through trying to upgrade the iHDD and eHDD. Leave it to the owner to purchase and upgrade their eHDD when they want.

Anyway not trying to convince anyone but my prediction is we will move away from the current PVR model and into a more integrated solution.

Edit: Looks like this might be it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AllVid

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have one of those networked TV's, but for recording TV I still have to use my HTPC which has 3 TB of TV storage using 8 TV tuners capable of OTA, Analog, and Digital SD and HD cable recording. My Win 7 TV guide includes all OTA and cable channels. I doubt any TV will ever let me do that as long as the cable companies control the CRTC.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Two Way cable card is the way to go

When was the last time you used the fancy remote control that came with the TV set? In a meaningful way I mean, to change channels, set volume and so on. Instead we get these even more complicated remotes that come with rental boxes. Cable companies are only interested in the monthly income from rentals of PVR boxes or even just digital boxes.

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8 tuners is a bit much. I would be happy with 1. :) Since they cram everything (app-wise) onto networked TVs now why not add a recording app? I am sure it will appear soon.

·
Registered
826 Posts
8 tuners is a bit much.
Not Really. I have two HVR-2250 tuners. Thats 4 hybrid tuners, so technically I have 8!:) Although realistically I can only record 4 shows. And practically, I never record analog OTA But then there are only 6 strong signals in Vancouver:mad: But hopefully that changes this August.:D

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This type of set-up is more for the KISS crowd. A turn-key or press-key solution. Not the TV addict. You don't want to spend time tweaking your HTPC when you could be tweaking your wife. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jake,

What kind of TV (and model) did your friend have that used the ROVI widget? I am in the market for a new HDTV (possibly Samsung) and the last time I looked they only had a few widgets such as stock/weather/etc. Which TV brand (and model) has the ROVI widget?

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first time the TV was connected to the internet it downloaded an update. I am pretty sure it was in that initial install. But it was a Samsung LCD LED series 6.

It also had Accuweather, facebook, youtube, netflix, USA today, AP News, Google Map. plus many others. I seem to recall many games as well.

I just found this.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/smarttv/smarttv.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts