Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

When will there be NEW OptikTV Hardware

57K views 93 replies 37 participants last post by  terrorindeed 
#1 ·
Subscribed to OptikTV over 3 years ago and have the Cisco box, but was wondering when Telus is going to revamp the product line and provide something newer and better. I know they have a new wireless model. Was at my parents who have Shaw and have to say the PVR that Shaw provides seems much better, faster, better laid out menus. In short the OptikTv hardware is dated and old.

#53 ·
Any news on HDD size? I still have the old 320 Gig HDD. Didn't bother working at getting a newer PVR with the 500 Gig drive as I have been hoping for awile now that a newer larger drive would come with the next new model released.

#56 ·
So i spoke to Customer Care about the IPV6015. They at first thought i wanted to straight up replace the CIS430 with the new box for free. I repeated no, i want to BUY a new box. So all one has to do is buy the new box at a Telus store or London Drugs / Bestbuy. Then call for a tech visit for set up. You cannot set up the box yourself. The installation is no charge but the box will cost $250.
I know someone who is getting a new install tomorrow, will wait to see if they do get a 6015 and test it to see if it worth changing to. If it is not noticeably faster i will save my money.

#57 ·
Even the 7150 is much better than the 430. It is quicker, you don't have to point right at the box for it to pick up the remote commands, and I have had it for months now and not once have I had to unplug it because it froze up (I had to do that at least once a month with the old 430 I use to have). Those in used form are as cheap as $99.00 at some stores (although they are probably in there because of other problems with the previous owner). I did have trouble installing it initially as with my Denon 2808C in the circuit it wouldn't allow the box to start up. I had to use the Arc setting on the tv to the receiver to get it to work right (initially I use to have the Cable to the box, the box to the receiver, then the receiver to the tv). I had to go from the box to the tv and using arc from the tv to the receiver - which had the advantage of being able to use OTA tv channels without changing outputs).

#59 ·
the spiel i got was unless there was something wrong with the cis430 they would not replace it. But i wasnt looking for a freebee but to buy the 6015. Someone i know recently got telus and i was hoping he would have got the 6015 so i could compare it to the 430 but he ended up with the 7150. Did not see that much of a diff speed wise.

#68 ·
I had my old PVR replaced with the 6015 and can attest to the faster operation. However, I have two issues:
1) the new remote cannot control three devices i.e. PVR, TV and AVR. There is only two inputs so if you want the remote to control the volume on your AVR, that has to be your second device.

2) to complicate #1, the 6015 does not seem to support CEC (in my case RDHI for my Onkyo receiver).

Hence, my wife continues to use the old remote, as the Harmony 1 is not her cup of tea. In that regard, the Harmony 1 also has to be reprogrammed as a number of buttons aren't recognized and have to be "learned".

The old remote box continues to be incredibly slow and needs to be rebooted every second day or so.

The moral is the new PVR comes as a mixed blessing.

#74 ·
Just a note to anyone who is thinking about upgrading to IPV 6015. Its response to remote commands is vastly superior to the earlier two models. It slimmer and also consumes less energy as evidenced by the smaller power rating on the power brick. Among other things, it is the 2.5" drive vs the 3.5" drive. Overall, I am really happy I upgraded. There is a side tray with an eject and lock icon that holds the 2.5" 500 GB drive. The old ones required security bits to remove the cover and I think they made it modular.
If you are on the fence and have an opportunity to get one for a reasonable price, I say go ahead. You will be happy you did. As usual with Telus PVRs, there is no way of saving the existing recordings. I lost a bunch but in the excitement of upgrading, I didn't think twice.

#77 ·
For the last 2 weeks, my old CIS430 had signal lost very frequently. Technician came this morning and change it with a IPV-6015. As everyone said, it is a better and faster PVR. This box can handle up to 5 HD streams.

The tech told me that the recent firmware upgrade broke the CIS430. He said I was lucky that I still have video after the upgrade. Some of the CIS430 upgrade made it a door stops. If you have a CIS430, you may get a new box soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.