Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks for the info.
It is easy to take the HDD out.
Will it work if I replace it with a 1TB drive?
Will it format the drive and initialize the new drive automatically on the next power up?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the info.
It is easy to take the HDD out.
Will it work if I replace it with a 1TB drive?
Will it format the drive and initialize the new drive automatically on the next power up?
It was pretty easy to take out. Those pictures took me like 30 seconds.

No idea if it works with larger drives. I do not record many things or care if they get overwritten once watched. The stock drive still has stuff over a year old for me so it's not a problem. I used to record more but streaming services usually take care of my needs now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Arris 5662W PVR

This site has been pretty quiet on this topic for awhile, so this is not a really new update.
When my condo got the PureFibre ONTs installed in every suite back in July, I decided to update last month from Internet 25 (back in 2011 the fastest you could get with Optik) to Fibre 75. They needed to replace my old Actiontec Router with the Actiontec T3200M so I decided to ask for new rental 1TB PVR and Wireless Boxes. (Even though I don't yet have 4K TVs right now). I've had the 500GB Cisco since Sept 2015 and while it was a big improvement at the time over the CIS430 it was starting to get increasingly glitchy.

I did a lot of research on the Telus forums and saw that the current options are Arris 5662W PVR and 5602W Box or the newer Technicolor ones. I found that there are more complaints about Technicolor for "overheating" and inexplicably restarting on it's own. The installer tech had Arris hardware in his vehicle so I was happy. One thing you need to ask for is the Component-Composite breakout cable adapter (it's in a bag outside of the PVR carton) if you plan to connect to non-HDMI equipment. I found one issue on the Telus forum that the adapter (with cable connected) is heavy and can pull down, resulting in a loss of audio throughput. That actually did happen to me (I still use my old Pioneer PVR to back up sports programming that I can later watch at 2x speed with audio--something Telus PVRs still can't do) so I put tape around it to prevent it pulling away.

Other than that, after one month, so far so good--the Arris PVR 1TB HDD is rated at 103 4K, 404 HD or 1000 SD hours of recording capacity so it's cavernous and very quick responding. I use the 5602W receiver with it's wired option (no need for wifi with my setup).

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing you need to ask for is the Component-Composite breakout cable adapter (it's in a bag outside of the PVR carton)

Funny I just received that arris oltic TV box its a 1 tb DVR areis says its wireless, yet for QOS Telus firmware has disabled this feature , and no mention of it being disabled on the included sheet,

also the breakout cable is listed as an accessory and hdmi cable if telus sends you a box or if a tech opens it in his van

here's what's in there:

Stb
Remote control
Psu
aa cells,
hdmi cable branded telus ,
BGI branded breakout cable

It gives you component as well as Composite. Outputs for a total of red green blue , yellow and red and white ,

The neet thing is the wires for rgb are a diffeent shade than r w y .

Of you don't get a new hdmi insist , otherwise tech is simply selling the wires to others and insist on breakout cable , that's included from mfg!

Telus ph support assumes you have all those things , if you say noand.ask for them later they'll charge you $20-$30

·
Registered
4 Posts
Arris 5662W PVR

It's hot enough to cook and egg on, and telus has intentionally disabled it's wireless feature

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a question. I own my Bell Arris 5662W, can I use it with Telus ? Either factory resetting it and connecting wired to grab the proper firmware or telnet to the device and flash the firmware. I can’t seem to find anything on this topic anywhere.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
17,515 Posts
Telus can only activate STB serial numbers that are its database (STBs that it provided directly or possibly indirectly through a retailer.) There's nothing you can do to the PVR to make it compatible with Telus. It's probably best to sell it to someone that lives in Bell Fibe territory. I don't know if Bell Canada STBs (Ontario and Quebec) will work with Bell Aliant or Bell MTS, or if they are 3 separate databases.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Even if it is the same make and model, hardware is not usually portable between TV providers. The best bet is to sell the current equipment before moving and trying to get a new customer promo for cheap or free hardware at the new location.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Telus can only activate STB serial numbers that are its database (STBs that it provided directly or possibly indirectly through a retailer.) There's nothing you can do to the PVR to make it compatible with Telus. It's probably best to sell it to someone that lives in Bell Fibe territory. I don't know if Bell Canada STBs (Ontario and Quebec) will work with Bell Aliant or Bell MTS, or if they are 3 separate databases.
My Arris 5662W is actually a Bell Canada receiver I purchased from kijiji and I use it with Bell Aliant. Activation was super easy, I called them and they gave me my activation code (10 digit home phone number + 9).

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Bell Aliant is now owned by Bell Canada (BCE) so that may explain it. Telus is a separate company. Bell and Telus probably could activate each other's receivers. It would cost money for Telus and Bell to do so and it would benefit relatively few Canadians so there is little motivation to allow it.

At one time, a similar situation existed between Dishnet and Bell satellite receivers which were identical apart from branding. Firmware would be downloaded and receivers used just by pointing the dish at the other service's satellites. That ability was actively blocked in firmware. It just shows how far TV providers will go to prevent users from porting equipment.

·
Super Moderator
17,515 Posts
My Arris 5662W is actually a Bell Canada receiver I purchased from kijiji and I use it with Bell Aliant. Activation was super easy, I called them and they gave me my activation code (10 digit home phone number + 9).
Didn't you have to give them the serial number of the Bell receiver?

I see from your other post that you're still with Bell and you have a separate internet connection to Telus, which is pretty unusual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I didn’t need to provide a serial number at all. I called and told them the I bought a used STB from Ontario. I removed the hard drive before connecting it, just in case there was an error with 2 5662W’s in the chain. When authenticated the second 5662W, the on screen display showed MASTER PVR - no.

·
Super Moderator
17,515 Posts
That's interesting. Bell Canada is a lot stricter in Ontario. Let us know how your experimentation goes.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts