Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks for the info.
It is easy to take the HDD out.
Will it work if I replace it with a 1TB drive?
Will it format the drive and initialize the new drive automatically on the next power up?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the info.
It is easy to take the HDD out.
Will it work if I replace it with a 1TB drive?
Will it format the drive and initialize the new drive automatically on the next power up?
It was pretty easy to take out. Those pictures took me like 30 seconds.

No idea if it works with larger drives. I do not record many things or care if they get overwritten once watched. The stock drive still has stuff over a year old for me so it's not a problem. I used to record more but streaming services usually take care of my needs now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Arris 5662W PVR

This site has been pretty quiet on this topic for awhile, so this is not a really new update.
When my condo got the PureFibre ONTs installed in every suite back in July, I decided to update last month from Internet 25 (back in 2011 the fastest you could get with Optik) to Fibre 75. They needed to replace my old Actiontec Router with the Actiontec T3200M so I decided to ask for new rental 1TB PVR and Wireless Boxes. (Even though I don't yet have 4K TVs right now). I've had the 500GB Cisco since Sept 2015 and while it was a big improvement at the time over the CIS430 it was starting to get increasingly glitchy.

I did a lot of research on the Telus forums and saw that the current options are Arris 5662W PVR and 5602W Box or the newer Technicolor ones. I found that there are more complaints about Technicolor for "overheating" and inexplicably restarting on it's own. The installer tech had Arris hardware in his vehicle so I was happy. One thing you need to ask for is the Component-Composite breakout cable adapter (it's in a bag outside of the PVR carton) if you plan to connect to non-HDMI equipment. I found one issue on the Telus forum that the adapter (with cable connected) is heavy and can pull down, resulting in a loss of audio throughput. That actually did happen to me (I still use my old Pioneer PVR to back up sports programming that I can later watch at 2x speed with audio--something Telus PVRs still can't do) so I put tape around it to prevent it pulling away.

Other than that, after one month, so far so good--the Arris PVR 1TB HDD is rated at 103 4K, 404 HD or 1000 SD hours of recording capacity so it's cavernous and very quick responding. I use the 5602W receiver with it's wired option (no need for wifi with my setup).

81 - 83 of 83 Posts