Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
@blinktok

they are unbearably slow... that's whats wrong with them. I use the previous channels function A LOT, so waiting 5 seconds for anything to happen on the screen is too slow. they should never have rolled out the update to the older boxes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not in retail outlets yet. But, Telus is deploying it in limited numbers. So far, the reports indicate a speedy performance. I have seen one for sale on Kijiji around here as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is another end user vote for 6015. I am actually looking at upgrading my 7150. Each time I hear these positive comments, I get that much closer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had my old PVR replaced with the 6015 and can attest to the faster operation. However, I have two issues:
1) the new remote cannot control three devices i.e. PVR, TV and AVR. There is only two inputs so if you want the remote to control the volume on your AVR, that has to be your second device.

2) to complicate #1, the 6015 does not seem to support CEC (in my case RDHI for my Onkyo receiver).

Hence, my wife continues to use the old remote, as the Harmony 1 is not her cup of tea. In that regard, the Harmony 1 also has to be reprogrammed as a number of buttons aren't recognized and have to be "learned".

The old remote box continues to be incredibly slow and needs to be rebooted every second day or so.

The moral is the new PVR comes as a mixed blessing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Can't you keep the old remote when you get the new box? When I changed to the 7150 box I kept the old remote and it still controls three things (PVR, TV, and AVR). You do have to change the mode to turn off the AVR though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it the slimline 2? I have it controlling the volume on my avr.

Also i dont think any telus optik hardware support hdmi cec?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
May want to purchase a better HDMI cable, quite often the cheap cables do not even have the CEC wire connected. Test with a ohmmeter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a note to anyone who is thinking about upgrading to IPV 6015. Its response to remote commands is vastly superior to the earlier two models. It slimmer and also consumes less energy as evidenced by the smaller power rating on the power brick. Among other things, it is the 2.5" drive vs the 3.5" drive. Overall, I am really happy I upgraded. There is a side tray with an eject and lock icon that holds the 2.5" 500 GB drive. The old ones required security bits to remove the cover and I think they made it modular.
If you are on the fence and have an opportunity to get one for a reasonable price, I say go ahead. You will be happy you did. As usual with Telus PVRs, there is no way of saving the existing recordings. I lost a bunch but in the excitement of upgrading, I didn't think twice.

·
Registered
505 Posts
For the last 2 weeks, my old CIS430 had signal lost very frequently. Technician came this morning and change it with a IPV-6015. As everyone said, it is a better and faster PVR. This box can handle up to 5 HD streams.

The tech told me that the recent firmware upgrade broke the CIS430. He said I was lucky that I still have video after the upgrade. Some of the CIS430 upgrade made it a door stops. If you have a CIS430, you may get a new box soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want a cheap IR extension for the IPV6015 I found a compatible model on amazon. Shipping from China takes at least 1 month though. (Sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more)

http://amzn.to/2gVSUgo
Right now shows as $9.99 free shipping.

I believe it only works on this ipv6015 model. There does not appear to be an IR input on the 4k PVR or the older models either. Generic IR receivers did not work, this has 4 rings on the headphone jack vs typically only 3. I had a generic one laying around and it did nothing but disable the internal IR. Plugging in the IR extension seems to disable in built in IR receiver in the box so it's one or the other but not both. (In case you have an IR blaster type repeater in your cabinet)

·
Registered
505 Posts
The following sentence is from the IPV6015 sales brochure,
"Flexible Digital Video Recorder service with a removable 2.5” Hard Disk Drive of 500 GB capacity"

Anyone know how to remote the 2.5" hard disk?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The following sentence is from the IPV6015 sales brochure,
"Flexible Digital Video Recorder service with a removable 2.5” Hard Disk Drive of 500 GB capacity"

Anyone know how to remote the 2.5" hard disk?
Just take the tape covering the screw hole off
Use a handy security torx bit with the hole in the middle to remove the security screw inside and then the eject mechanism is free and you will be able to eject the disk out of the slot in the side.

Sticker over screw:

Security screw and bit:

Ejecting:

Drive is free:

61 - 80 of 83 Posts