Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Honestly, I've been using a refurbished PVR for over a year and it's worked fine, but if you really want a new one, then yes, Telus will sell you one but not in store. I believe they'll have to have a technician come out and install it. Though I noticed that the refurb ones all seem to be the faster ISB series boxes now, rather than the old CIS ones.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I just had my STB swapped. The installer brought the 7150. Seems to have cured my issues ...but will wait a day or so to confirm.

But the question is do I need to call to have the extra HD line? Added to my profile?

I had 3 HD and 1 SD with the 430 model.

This newer one does 4HD?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It can handle 4HD streams but only if your line can handle it. Call them and they'll confirm if it can be done

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
After watching the ads for LD and BB, I noticed they stopped selling the old 430 and 330 hardware, which indicated that the supply of refurb units from Telus had finally dried up. My original equipment (with a 320gb HD) was coming up to 4 years old now, and was getting increasingly glitchy (more "PVR busy" errors and slow response to pressing buttons).

With the slow time before fall TV season my PVR recordings were getting as light as they were ever going to be, so I called Telus to see about getting new model replacements. They sent a tech to pick up the old ones, and he also activated my 4 HD streams while he was here. (I've been 3HD + 1SD from the beginning.) He said that 5 HD streams will be coming to my area likely by the new year (employees are beta testing it now).

So far, the new boxes are impressive. Very quick response. The only thing that is bit negative (for me, but not likely for others) is that Cisco dropped the S-Video-out jack on them, which I used instead of the regular video-out to back up recordings and burn to DVD on my 2 Pioneer PVR's (made in 2006-2007, very little new hardware uses S-Video now). That's a small price to pay for having a bigger 500gb HD and much better performance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
STB Compatibility

I rent a Cisco 430 STB/PVR with 320GB drive but I own 2 Cisco 330 STB. If I get Telus to replace the 430 with the isb7150, will my 330 still talk to the new PVR?

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
I'm 99% sure they will work together, but since I'm not a Telus customer I haven't tried it. Other providers that use the same system can use various models.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rather than starting a new thread I will post here. Telus has a new PVR (IPV6015) coming. The new PVR is 4 times faster than the current ISB7150 and has an IR repeater. As the currrent stock of the ISB7150 will soon deplete, we will use the new hardware for new installs.

·
Registered
458 Posts
@macdzich

"As the currrent stock of the ISB7150 will soon deplete, we will use the new hardware for new installs."

so by this, does it mean that if one wishes to purchase a new IPV6015 we can do so now?
to me it looks like the 6015 are here now ready to go.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Any news on HDD size? I still have the old 320 Gig HDD. Didn't bother working at getting a newer PVR with the 500 Gig drive as I have been hoping for awile now that a newer larger drive would come with the next new model released.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So i spoke to Customer Care about the IPV6015. They at first thought i wanted to straight up replace the CIS430 with the new box for free. I repeated no, i want to BUY a new box. So all one has to do is buy the new box at a Telus store or London Drugs / Bestbuy. Then call for a tech visit for set up. You cannot set up the box yourself. The installation is no charge but the box will cost $250.
I know someone who is getting a new install tomorrow, will wait to see if they do get a 6015 and test it to see if it worth changing to. If it is not noticeably faster i will save my money.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Even the 7150 is much better than the 430. It is quicker, you don't have to point right at the box for it to pick up the remote commands, and I have had it for months now and not once have I had to unplug it because it froze up (I had to do that at least once a month with the old 430 I use to have). Those in used form are as cheap as $99.00 at some stores (although they are probably in there because of other problems with the previous owner). I did have trouble installing it initially as with my Denon 2808C in the circuit it wouldn't allow the box to start up. I had to use the Arc setting on the tv to the receiver to get it to work right (initially I use to have the Cable to the box, the box to the receiver, then the receiver to the tv). I had to go from the box to the tv and using arc from the tv to the receiver - which had the advantage of being able to use OTA tv channels without changing outputs).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I rent the 430 pvr but have bought the two 330's a while ago. Do you think telus will replace all 3 for free?

·
Registered
458 Posts
the spiel i got was unless there was something wrong with the cis430 they would not replace it. But i wasnt looking for a freebee but to buy the 6015. Someone i know recently got telus and i was hoping he would have got the 6015 so i could compare it to the 430 but he ended up with the 7150. Did not see that much of a diff speed wise.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts