Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow...what a difference!

Stayed at a hotel last weekend due to some house renovations, and I was very (happily) surprised to find a nice big flat-screen with Optik TV in the room.

I IMMEDIATELY noticed how fast the guide was, how fast EVERYTHING was....changing channels, Menu settings etc.

I had to pull out the dresser to find it (they were using an IR transmitter and the Telus box was screwed to the back of the dresser), but it was an 2200 model.

I have GOT to get new boxes...I can't even use my current ones any more without dreaming about the lighting speed at the hotel!!

I don't care if I have to purchase it...is there a PVR version I can get to replace my older PVR?

·
Registered
422 Posts
2200 sounds like the Actiontec modem/router model number, not the model of the IPTV box.

It's possible to find the non-PVR ISB7105 model in some stores for purchase, but to my knowledge, the PVR ISB7500 is only available directly from Telus over the phone. If you're renting, they may be willing to do a swap if you ask.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No, it was definitely the TV box...it was HDMI from the box to the TV, and was directly connected to an iR repeater for the remote control. Thinking a little more...I am pretty sure the side of it said SB2200.

Looking at the Telus WEB site, I am now almost positive it was the Telus wireless digital box shown here:

http://www.telus.com/en/ab/tv/hardware.jsp?INTCMP=TVRiverflowHardwareWDB#hardware-panels

...but from searching some more, it seems that box (at least by Telus naming anyways) is the ISB7105?

Edit....OK...it was NOT that box because the one feeding the TV at the hotel had an INPUT on the back that the iR repeater was plugged in to....I found the manual online for the ISB7105 and it does NOT have a connection for the iR repeater.

Edit 2....from doing some searching, it appears there is a new Optik TV system for hotels, which is most likely different (duh) from a home system...so like Gilles said, it could very well be a type of modem etc, but with a IPTV functionality inside as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with the performance of the telus optic box, it's way better than shaws. The only time I'm ready for an upgrade is when they upgrade the boxes to handle 4K channels if that ever happens.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
4K broadcasts? Not going to happen for a very long time! Considering we'll only be getting 1080p on demand content with a future firmware update, 4k is probably not even in the foreseeable future.

I'm also doubtful even the newer PVR Telus offers could output 4k (though am not sure what HDMI standard they use)

·
Registered
67 Posts
So can anyone tell me what the Telus boxes output, 720p or 1080i, are their ppv movies in 1080p. Also, how does their HD compare to Bell for picture quality.

·
Super Moderator
56,439 Posts
Telus (and Fibe) get their signals from Bell (satellite), so the answers are essentially the same as in the other thread (posts 174 to 180) where you asked the same questions. What the STB output is really not very important. What goes to the STB from the provider is.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2390921#post2390921

Telus may get a few of its signals directly from the broadcaster, but the vast majority of the channels would come from Bell. You are not going to get a definitive answer regarding which provider has the best picture quality.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm sorry, I should have stated that I was asking about Telus Optik boxes not their sat, I know their sat is actually Bell with the Telus logo on the menus, sorry.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Broadcasts are 720p. As for on-demand, it's either 720p or 1080i (I don't know for sure). I was told by a tech that a future firmware update will enable 1080p, but it will be for on-demand / ppv only

·
Registered
67 Posts
So TELUS's is all 720 too, interesting. Have you had a chance to compare the HD PQ to Bell sat. Even on HBO I can see that the signal has a low bitrate when dark scenes come on, you can see macroblocking, mind you this is on a 7' wide screen, but still. I guess these providers assume if it looks good on a 50" then that's all they need to do.

Looking at Telus's pricing I can't believe they can offer a great HD package(essentials with 6 themes I believe it was called) then including HBO all for about $60 a month(no equipment costs in there).

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I haven't compared it with other services, so can't really comment on that. I do notice some compression artifacts from time to time, but it doesn't really bother me

·
Registered
304 Posts
"Telus gets their signals from Bell, so the answers are essentially..."

Are you sure about that? I know TELUS has their own head ends.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you'd like to confirm if bell is the supplier to TELUS for it's signals you'll have to put the comparable signals head to head to see, I think you'll notice the difference right away which should answer your question as to if bell is the supplier or not. As for the 720p questions and responses they are incorrect. The majority of the content providers make their signals available in 1080i and dependent on the delivery mechanism the BDU may scale down to 720p. Bell does that alot historically, and shaw is mostly mpeg2 so if they can save bw, they will in any shape or form.

Anyways.. the overarching topic is hardware and with 4k on the horizon for consumers I would expect new hardware to support it. I haven't heard much about live content being available and considering the bw needed for uncompressed is 12gb I would expect to see vod or some type of canned content available long before live content. Either way, the STB's will have to be updated to accommodate.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Where do I buy a new pvr? I want to see if that cures my issues. I only see refurbished STB on bestbuy site. Does Telus sell new STB?

Any info appreciated.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts