Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have FOX News, Al Jazerra...so when can us right of centre Vancouverites be expecting SUN TV?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sun TV News is very much Canada's Fox News (complete with a red, white and blue set motif); hence the popular misnomer Fox News North. While Fox News represents Republicans, Sun TV News is aiming at a Conservative one.
Thanks... now I am a little more informed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any word yet Novus? I'm getting antsy here! Haha.

BTW I did post a reply to hdtvvan last week and it went into some moderator queue but never did post and I'm absolutely bewildered why.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I can't comment on the state of negotiations between Novus and Quebecor, but I suspect that Quebecor are prioritising "negotiations" with Bell based upon their onscreen Bell rants which seem to displace news reporting.

Right-wing vancouverites who value the efficient operation of free negotiating and bargaining may find themselves somewhat disappointed. When a willing seller and a willing buyer have agreed on a price you may then get Sun news.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ya really looking forward to getting Sun News Network. It's the one channel I really miss since switching from shaw. Can anyone from Novus shed some insight on this? I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I wouldn't worry about SUN News Network availibility. Once the CRTC denies their request for manditory carriage on basic cable, the channel will likely shut down. SUN News ratings are terrible for the 25-54 demographic and overall as well. They simply don't have enough viewers (especially in the 25-54 demographic) to make a profit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great, I happen to enjoy Sun News Network and I am in the 25-54 demographic, big surprise! You don't like it don't watch it, I don't care.

So again to anyone from Novus reading these forums, there those of us that would be very happy if you offered Sun News Network.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I can understand why Novus doesn't bother with SUN News Network. The average ratings at any given time is less then 7000 viewers and many of those viewers are outside the 25-54 demographic. I didn't say there was no viewer's in the 25-54 demographic, just that it's very low. This is why SUN News Network is trying to get the CRTC to force all BDUs to carry it on basic cable and collect fees for it. They know people wont watch in large numbers and gauranteed basic carriage is the only way this station will be viable.

Unless Quebecoir agrees for carriage at a very low price, I wouldn't expect to see it. The only reason they managed to get carriage on larger BDUs is it was probably included in a wider carriage deal with their french networks.

Does Novus even carry any French channels outside the usual ones (RDI, Radio-Canada, TVA, TV5)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I am curious, what is your source for these "ratings"? I also wouldn't mind paying "extra" for the option to watch Sun News Network. Kind of disappointing when channels like Al Jazeera, BBC world news, MSNBC and Fox News plus the left wing Canadian news channels, CBC New world, CTV News Channel are offered, but not Sun News.

I am also quite confident that there are many channels offered by Novus and Shaw that have far less viewers than Sun News.

If you are a customer like I am, I really don't see how having more options is a bad thing, unless of course you work for a competitor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts