Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed in this thread that Telus will now be able to configure remote recordings from web or iPhone app.

Telus IPTV also uses Microsoft Mediaroom as a middleware platform similar to MTS.

Does anyone know if MTS will ever allow us to use this functionality of mediaroom? I think it would be a fantastic option (plus it would be a great selling feature, AFIK shaw doesn't have anything like this at the moment).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I don't know when you'll be able to do it, but I would assume they will limit smartphone usage to the MTS network...

·
Registered
338 Posts
From the limited knowledge I have of the MediaRoom software which both Telus and MTS (as well as AT&T) are using, Telus seems to be on version 2.0 while MTS is still running a 1.x version. This is based on Telus supporting XBOX 360 as a STB.

With MTS partnering with Microsoft for hosting their e-mail services and the remote recording and XBOX playback being features of MediaRoom I think it is a matter of time until we get them. The next big rollout is obviously going to be to support Sunday Ticket but after that it is pretty open.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
MTS, Telus, Bell (Fibe TV) and AT&T all use Mediaroom 1.6.x. AT&T has had remote recording for quite a while.

I seem to remember seeing something about remote recording as a future enhancement in an MTS brochure quite a while ago. Perhaps the delay is in getting the web app written, not to mention iPhone, etc. Perhaps they're waiting until they launch the new wireless network with the iPhone.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
MTS, Telus, Bell (Fibe TV) and AT&T all use Mediaroom 1.6.x. AT&T has had remote recording for quite a while.

I seem to remember seeing something about remote recording as a future enhancement in an MTS brochure quite a while ago. Perhaps the delay is in getting the web app written, not to mention iPhone, etc. Perhaps they're waiting until they launch the new wireless network with the iPhone.
I would certainly think this functionality will roll out with the new network. It just makes sense to bundle the features this way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I certainly hope so! I'd also love for MTS to give us the capability to use our XBOX 360's as a STB - however since they are currently charging for STB rentals, the financial aspect of things may be keeping them from rolling this feature out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If I read the Telus releases and posts correctly, Telus charges $5 per month for the customer to use their Xbox as a STB... and $10 per month for the rental of a real STB. Only $150 for purchase though which seems pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Smartphone control for PVR?

So the announcement was finally made yesterday - MTS is launching the new HSPA+ network March 31st of this year.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/02/02/mts-hspa-network-going-live-march-31st/

A small rumour floating around states the following:

It also seems that MTS will be coming out with an app of some sort that will give customers the ability of “controlling your Ultimate TV PVR with your MTS smartphone”.
Thought this is a great place to start the mumbling about this future feature?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Being a pretty close Microsoft partner I would expect both the xbox stb and the Windows7 Phone intergration are coming to MTS Ultimate once they get past rolling out the new cell network. That is just my own specuation though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts