Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

481 - 486 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You'll probably end up with something like what we put up here in PEI with CTV Atlantic. It does cover a few local stories in all the Maritime provinces but the focus is on stories from Nova Scotia particularly the Halifax area and nearby communities and Saint John and Moncton in NB. There may also be a nod to Fredericton NB but almost nothing other than a government or public interest type story from PEI ever makes it to air. No mention of sports except for some playoff results for local leagues. The only thing done well is the weather. It's a detailed rundown for all three provinces including five/seven day forecasts for each province. That may change now that popular meteorologist Cindy Day has quit the station quite unexpectedly but so far they are still doing the weather well. We tune in every night just to get the weather forecast which is miles better than anything on TWN (the Toronto-centric Weather Network). TWN these days barely acknowledges the existence of the Maritimes in their across Canada segments although they do an excellent job of including Newfoundland by name in every one of those same segments.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Yeah, some of us in NB refer to CTV's news broadcast as the Halifax Evening News. Nobody else gets anything resembling respectable coverage.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Barrie and Vancouver Island HD local, now?

When did CTV Barrie and CTV Vancouver Island go HD local? I rarely watch these newscasts, but noticed while channel hopping that they look to be fully HD, now.
Maybe the abysmally overdue transition happened months ago, and nobody noticed/cared? :devil
Honestly, I thought Bell was dragging their feet to use it as a gambling chip when they habitually cry poor to the CRTC.
So, are these stations now operating with robotic cameras, and production control centralized in Toronto, too, complete with all the requisite technical gaffes seen on CTV Kitchener?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Both Barrie And Vancouver Island have been in HD for quite some time. As far as I know both also produce their local newscasts although I could be wrong. As for noticing/caring, I remain gob-smacked by the number of people who still don't give a fig about whether a program is in HD or still in SD. They are interested in the content not the packaging which should give 4K and now potential 8K programmers a reason to pause and think about their plans.

·
Registered
446 Posts
^^ Actually, I think they were just "cheating" with widescreen SD for at least the past year or two.

I compared CTV Barrie newscasts from Sunday, July 21 to Monday, July 22, and things got noticeably sharper, no longer with the slight black line at the top of the image. Similarly, CTV Vancouver Island looks to have started a month earlier, on Saturday, June 22. Can't find any announcement that either of the stations made the switch; probably too ashamed to admit they took this long... and as you say, a surprising number of people are oblivious/ignorant.

·
Registered
446 Posts
As noted by others over in the always-amusing "CTV London gets worse" thread, it looks as though beginning with Wednesday's news at six, CTV London is now broadcasting local news in HD. Yeah, y'know, around twenty years after most others already made the switch.

I guess that leaves CTV Northern Ontario as the remaining holdout. Surely they'll be the last TV station on Earth to switch to HDTV local newscasts! :rolleyes:

481 - 486 of 486 Posts