Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

461 - 480 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ahh, but still far better than how it was. Even that is a marked improvement. For the longest time we were stuck in 4:3 resolutions, and it seemed like we wouldn't be getting 16x9, so it's something that I'll take.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Former sports announcer Norman James does a reasonable job on newscast. Guess he exercised his bumping rights to get rid of one of the mumblers in London. A job is better than no job even though it is at CTV London. Really glad I left that business years ago.:laugh

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, CTV Kitchener has finally been added to Bell satellite TV in HD as 'CTVKH' channel 1045, but of course, it's still conspicuously absent from the Fibe TV app... :mad:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Its about time. For many of us subs living between London and Kitchener we had no access to a better picture from Kitchener and were slowly turning into Torontonians which is okay if you live there. At the very least the local news should be in widescreen...best bet would be HD.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hmm, interesting how they made no mention whatsoever of this on tonight's 6PM newscast. Maybe they're ashamed to be dead last to announce going high-def!

CTV NEWS AT FIVE also features regular contributions from CTV Kitchener’s team of trusted reporters, as well as special segments, including:
CTV Investigates, going in-depth into some of the stories that are most important to your community with multi-part series and investigative reports
This would be great if they had a dedicated consumer "on your side" reporter: something K-W is woefully lacking after local newspapers gave up on this effort years/decades ago. I wish there was a local media outlet that would tackle stories like The Toronto Star does with "The Fixer".
@thenewdc: huh?? Rogers has carried CKCO in HD on channel 518 for years... it's just Bell (in pure irony) that hasn't done so on satellite until recently

·
Registered
446 Posts
5PM newscast fluff

Well, CTV Kitchener's new 5PM newscast launched pretty rough, sprinkled with awkward segues, and a number of clumsy audio gaffes, reminiscent of days of old at the former CKCO-TV. The ultra-low definition picture quality from the remote truck was brutal -- one wonders if this outdated mobile production truck is getting scrapped in a week when they allegedly switch to true HD.
Laughably, one of the weather graphics boards said "snow squalls" with a high of 26 degrees, and "weather presenter" Lyndsay didn't even acknowledge the mistake until the dying seconds of the show. :rolleyes:
Overall, it almost seemed as though they were straining to fill time. Long, drawn-out interviews with no hard news content whatsoever. Tough to get excited about what's to come, when the introduction to this recurring program is a week of baby-soft filler material.
Coincidentally, Bell has finally added channel 584 to the Fibe TV app, but not the high-def version channel 1045; :confused:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Kitchener goes HD local (it's actually happened)

^ Yep, they quietly missed the launch date by one week, compared to what was announced in their press release six weeks ago. Readiness was more reliably found in tweets by station staff.

So yes, shamefully late to adopt new technology, CTV Kitchener now airs local news in HD. From today's noon news, it's evident that they're still occasionally using the "low-def" mobile trucks with their cringe-worthy fuzzy live shots from the field. Nancy also briefly acknowledged the HD excitement on-air, before the first commercial break and again at the end.

Wow, what am I going to be able to do, now that I can't grouch about "low-definition" newscasts anymore, after waiting all these years? :wink
I suppose I'll only be able to complain about the quality of the journalism. Speaking of which, as speculated, a significant portion of the so-called local 5PM newscast is stories borrowed from other CTV stations and American newswires. Altogether, it's almost the antithesis of a newscast. Mostly, it's a community lifestyle show, not news, because it's probably cheaper to produce a "magazine" format, rather than assembling a hard news digest. They have yet to even stick to their original plan to include Waze traffic reports and investigative report segments. Way to go, Bell Media bean counters. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
it's evident that they're still occasionally using the "low-def" mobile trucks with their cringe-worthy fuzzy live shots from the field.
Like many broadcasters, CTV relies heavily on the Dejero Labs (of Waterloo, Ontario) solution to carry live signals from location. The technology crams the transmission over cellular channels, and depending on network traffic, this can create a sub-par viewing experience.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just to clarify, I didn't mean it was live hits using Dejero that looked noticeably lower resolution. While it's true that using bonded cellular to transmit video (especially for heavy-duty payloads like 1080i) can result in variable bitrates and thus, "Skype-like" inconsistent picture quality, I'm fairly certain CTV Kitchener is still using their SD transportable microwave trucks, from time to time. Some locations have very poor cellular service reception, so if a reporter is dispatched to the scene, they have to fallback to the line-of-sight live-eye truck. The upconverted widescreen analog signals from the microwave trucks have a characteristic NTSC colour gamut, exhibit slight ghosting, and depending on the TV you can usually see some of the top edge of the picture is cut-off, mostly with black. Conversely, when Dejero is used and, owing to signal congestion it has to ratchet down to a lower bitrate/resolution on-the-fly, the picture just temporarily loses fine detail and may show some brief tiling artifacts. This is very different from the general fuzziness of an image coming from an SD camera.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Ahhh yes, the analog microwave equipment.

·
Registered
446 Posts
4K foresight

Tonight, CTV Kitchener aired another of their suspiciously selfish "in your backyard" segments, showing behind-the-scenes of being the weather presenter for the news. Sure to pique viewer interest, even though I'd say that's more like "in Bell Media's backyard" but I digress.

Inadvertently, this story's visuals made me notice that one of the new studio cameras, and likely the one in the newsroom, appears to be a Sony 4K PTZ, probably the BRC-X1000. Interesting, so someone at Bell Media had the sensibility to at least partially build for 4K, instead of "just" migrating to HD. :surprise

So, with the announcement that London will host the Juno Awards next year, broadcast across the CTV network, will CTV Two London still be pumping out 4:3 SD local newscasts?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yes - they will still be 4:3 in London, until they move the newscast to CFTO's studios. Once it moves to Toronto, they will use mostly Toronto produced stories, add in a few local stories and weather, and then it will be in HD.

Bell will probably save more money and merge Kitchener, London, Windsor, Barrie and maybe a few other regular CTV channels local news into a "CTV Ontario News" or something else generic for the province in the near future. They can cherry-pick segments filmed for CFTO, CJOH, CTV National News, TSN, BNN etc. to fill up a newscast with one or two local stories and a generic Ontario weather forecast.

461 - 480 of 486 Posts