Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that CBC in New Brunswick entered the 21st century, when can we expect CTV (ch.518) to go HD in their local programming.
Live at 5 and the CTV News at 6pm looks crappy!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I agree with you! As an Eastlink subscriber watching this in Nova Scota, it is frustrating to see both Global and CBC Atlantic offering their news in HD, but CTV still does their local news on SD. Considering that I prefer the CTV news, I sure hope that this station gets their act together soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the engineering folks at CTV in Halifax. They say it won't be any time soon, as the equipment for HD is very expensive.
Hey, this is not new technology. HD has been around for quite some time. All 4 local stations in Bangor broadcast locally in HD! CTV Atlantic serves all the Maritime Provinces. Once again, we are last on the totem pole.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Well, if Global and CBC can afford it, why not CTV?

Ironically, I actually remember, back in the early 1970's, that CTV in Atlantic Canada was one of the last in the country to offer local programming in colour.

·
Registered
689 Posts
It's another case of beancounters in Toronto not giving a rip about the east coast. It's just Bell instead of Rogers this time.

Of course, CTV in the centre of the universe has been doing HD local news for quite some time.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Profits weren't quite high enough to allow for stuff like equipment investment. They needed new executive gold toilets.

Don't worry though, they'll put a request in to the CRTC for a new tax on people who don't watch CTV to pay for it.

·
Super Moderator
4,497 Posts
You need to consider each station as its own business unit. The ad revenue CTV Halifax generates from local news compared to CFTO CTV Toronto or CTV Calgary is much smaller. Population size does dictate ad rates.

The station just spent x dollars upgrading their transmitters in the Maritimes. Maybe next year's budget will have the dollars to upgrade the on set cameras and editing equipment and the following year upgrade the ENG cameras from SD to HD. Also you have bandwidth costs for sending the reports in HD from their offices in Moncton, Sydney, etc back to Halifax. Even if "Bell" owns the lines, there is still a cost associated with that.

I've seen some of the staff in person and seeing them in SD is a good thing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I started this thread almost 2 years ago, never thought this situation would still exist.
In 2013 we are still not receiving local HD from CTV Atlantic(Halifax). They have lost me as news viewer.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I'm with you on that one except I gave up way before you when CBC went HD. ATV is nothing but a big joke.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'd be interested to know if being SD-only is having any effect on CTV's news ratings in the maritimes.

I think most viewers watch the SD channel stretched anyway. Maybe they think CTV news looks better because it doesn't have the black bars at the top and bottom.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think Bell's priorities as far as CTV in smaller cities is very, very, low. I called CTV Atlantic a month or so ago to inquire about the local news, and all she could tell me was "eventually". She could not even promise that it would happen this year. Yes, it IS frustrating that many of the local, in house commercials are indeed in beautiful HD here as well.

This is all in the time that Global has a new studio here, and I guess that CTV does not care about the local competition.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I am not sure if the Alberta CTV stations still only have local newcasts in SD, since both Calgary and Edmonton are large cities. Perhaps someone who receives the HD versions of the CTV affiliates there can answer this question.

Also, I would be very surprised if CTV Ottawa still has their local news in SD.

However, it does appear that CTV is especially "cheap" when it comes to local HD. It reminds me, back in the early 1970s, when our local CTV affilate was one of the last local stations to have local programming in colour.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Still no HD in Regina. They should seriously just use the pillarboxing to put up like, Saskatchewan weather forecasts.

Or at least go SD widescreen.

1 - 20 of 486 Posts