Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
im not so sure about english programming, but here we get a few channels from italy, and one of them as far as I can think of, RAI Italia, is direct from the broadcaster, so theres no canadian commercials, or canadian content, but it was approved by CRTC for carriage, and we here love it. I dont like the fact that a show can be 3 hrs long and only show 2 commercials, it kinda opposite of canadian commercials which are like every 5 mins. lol

so there are probaly more english ppl than italians living in canada dont see why we cant get english channels here such as BBC international and what not

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Let me just point out that if you really want to watch BBC News, you can do so via BBC World News which is available on all if not most providers in Canada. And in regards to CBBC, there is a Canadian version called BBC Kids that is available. If you really want more channels, somebody has to apply to the CRTC for them and then somebody has to decide to carry them.

On a side note, CRTC approved TV3 Ireland, TV3 New Zealand, TV4 New Zealand, and Network TEN Australia about a decade ago and nobody has picked them up, which tells me none of the providers is interested in having such channels on their lineup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came across this thread from a google search on Irish tv ..... anyway I didn't come here to spam but looking at the thread I thought I'd just let those that are interested that the company I work for delivers UK and Irish channels on an iptv package worldwide. Im not posting links as I will probably get banned but a g search for irish tv iptv would do. I hope to stick around on the forum if possible as it looks quiet interesting to be honest. I have lived away from home myself and know how good it is to watch some home telly when abroad. It wasn't possible in my days but it sure as hell is now !

·
Registered
718 Posts
Much as I would love the nostalgia of getting Setanta Sports back once again from Ireland I do not believe for one moment that that IPTV service has the legal rights to redistribute these UK and Irish services. And thanks for not spamming :confused:

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
It is possible but not common for overseas companies to distribute IPTV to Canada. They do require Canadian or worldwide rights to do so, or they must own the copyright themselves. It's really no different than Netflix streaming to Canada. Most broadcasters restrict streaming to Canada because they do not own the Canadian rights or hope to sell them to a Canadian broadcasters. There is no reason, other than copyright issues, why an overseas broadcaster cannot stream directly or through a third party service.

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm mistaken here but hasn't the CRTC already allowed certain Irish & Australian channels on the CRTC "approval list"?

Australian
Something 10 or Ten(I think?)
Another Australian channel(not sure of its name)

Ireland

TV 4
TV 5

(not sure if those are the exact names or not)

But if there still on that approval list, then its not up to the CRTC its up to the Sats,cable & IPTV companies to bring them here.

Don't go after the CRTC, go after the providers.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yes, those Irish and Australian channels have been approved for many years. Nobody seemed interested in carrying them since rights would have been too complicated. Those mentioned really duplicate what we already have for the most part. Best option is to get a VPN like Unblock-US and watch online, works great, or connect your computer to your tv and watch that way. I've been enjoying the real BBC, and ITV for some time now.

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
You might be thinking of Big Ten Network a sports service.

I know there 3 different 10(Ten) Networks

ones from Australia(regular network)
ones from Canada(owners of erotic networks Hustler Canada,Penthouse I think I know its own by that group)
ones from the states(sports)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I believe even if Canadian TV Providers did carry UK networks many of the programs would be blacked out as someone else might own the North American broadcast rights(PBS,TVO,Knowledge Network).
You would also have the CRTC hurdle of having to carry a quota of Canadian content.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Cancon rules do not apply to foreign stations licensed to be carried on BDUs in Canada. Examples are CNN, TBS, AMC, PBS, NBC, etc. Blackout and simsub rules do apply if Canadian broadcasters have purchased Canadian rights to programming they carry. Cancon rules only apply to broadcasters licensed to operate in Canada. Many of those operate under licensed names so it confuses the issue.

BBC Canada is licensed to broadcast in Canada and has a Canadian operation. As such, it is subject to Cancon guidelines which, in my opinion, dilutes it's content unnecessarily. Since BBC (UK) would be a direct competitor for much of its programming, CRTC guidelines prevent its carriage on BDUs here. The same goes for BBC America (US.)

·
Registered
488 Posts
some of TCM's schedule is different in Canada because they do not own the Canadian rights to all of there programming that happens to almost every American channel that we get in canada

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
In other word TCM make a channel themselves for the Canadian market, which has no market right conflicts. Spike and A&E at least to that too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you want to watch UK channels, subscribe to TV MUCHO, no problem, and in HD. Forget them coming from Canadian sources, not going to happen, and CRTC rules don't apply for OTT services anyway. Everything is going OTT by the way.

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
Let me just point out that if you really want to watch BBC News, you can do so via BBC World News which is available on all if not most providers in Canada. And in regards to CBBC, there is a Canadian version called BBC Kids that is available. If you really want more channels, somebody has to apply to the CRTC for them and then somebody has to decide to carry them.

On a side note, CRTC approved TV3 Ireland, TV3 New Zealand, TV4 New Zealand, and Network TEN Australia about a decade ago and nobody has picked them up, which tells me none of the providers is interested in having such channels on their lineup.
The problem is Rights. My friend has an android box and gets those channels, the problem is a lot of the shows(US/Canadian/British) on those channels are the same ones shown on other providers in Canada which have the rights to those shows. Also with getting channels direct from Europe or Australia/New Zealand you have to remember the time change. Channels from Europe you looking anywhere from 5 HRS to 8HRS a head time difference and Australia/New Zealand 12 HRS-14 HRS(I think) behind time Difference.

Also a lot of channels from Europre have bizarre showing of their shows, they'll show half the show, then a few commericals then the rest of the show or show the entire show, then 10 mins of commercials. That's just for starts, some of the commercial's you would never se here because of the content, by that I mean some nudity, Beer drinking, and a few other things, like drinking & driving ads You see what happens after the accident the victim all bloody and everything, you'd never see that here.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts