Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When will CRTC allow UK channels to broadcast in Canada. I'd like to see channels like BBC1,2,3,4,CBBC, ITV, Channel4 E4, 4Music, Sky News, BBC News, Viva Music and other freeview channels. I'd love to subscribe to them because they make some really great programming. I somehow found ways to watch BBC iplayer, ITV and channel 4 video sites.:)

PS: Freeview channels are like basic TV channels in Canada

·
Registered
379 Posts
Take away some of the series and prime time shows and you are left with the majority of the programing like the morning shows and news that is completely catered to British & Irish people.

Anyway with the net you can get a reliable VPN service cheap and have whatever UK programming you want on-demand.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Even if the CRTC allowed them to broadcast, too many program rights issues would likely prevent them from broadcasting here anyways.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
thenewdc has it right. As for the BBC itself I doubt that they'd want to allow their own produced shows here without being able to sell them to PBS/TVO as they do now. So we would not get those. As for the rest... we get a lot of them from the USA before the brits do anyway.

For all that I would pay to have all the BBC channels complete and uncut and unadulterated by advertising delivered to my TV. Just a 5 hour delay so I can watch the BBC 9pm news at 9pm eastern time.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
To follow thenewdc's reply, the BBC also has a huge license agreement with the music industry that allows them to use just about any piece of copyrighted music in existence, but only for BBC broadcasts from within the UK. Shows like Top Gear must have most of their excellent music choices replaced by generic crap whenever the show is either sold and broadcast in another country, or broadcast on the UK's repeat broadcast specialty channel "Dave."

·
Registered
423 Posts
BBC, ITV, Channel & Five are absolutely no different to what we get here, content wise. Sure, there may be a few dramas and documentaries that stand out, but the majority of shows on offer are just your usual daytime TV rubbish and reality shows.

The reverse happens in the UK. We, they, want what we get over here and in the States; everyone assumes the grass is always greener. It isn't, it's just a different shade.

·
Registered
149 Posts
BBC, ITV, Channel & Five are absolutely no different to what we get here, content wise. Sure, there may be a few dramas and documentaries that stand out, but the majority of shows on offer are just your usual daytime TV rubbish and reality shows.

The reverse happens in the UK. We, they, want what we get over here and in the States; everyone assumes the grass is always greener. It isn't, it's just a different shade
So what if it's the same type of stuff. In the end, the shows, themselves, are different (obviously, taking into account they air some American shows as well). Frankly, it'd be refreshing to get to see some actual new content, other than what we have here, where the same damn show is recycled across a dozen other channels. And it'd be nice to see UK shows, it's something different than the bombardment of American shows we get here.

·
Registered
423 Posts
And you don't think that the channels in the UK constantly recycle shows? They do, and just as much as over here.

Having lived over here for 6 years now I'd say the shows put out by the American channels are far far better than what is coming from the BBC, ITV etc etc. UK Tv is over run with reality shows and spin offs of American Idol and the other usless talent shows.

The only decent stuff coming from the UK has been Life On Mars & Ashes to Ashes, which were picked up by Showcase.

There has been very little that I have seen that is worth showing over here. Believe me, UK TV ain't it's all cracked up to be; I lived with it for 34 years!!!!

What actual shows do you have in mind? Pray tell.

·
Registered
379 Posts
inbetweeners, shameless, peep show, etc, are pretty good. But I agree most of the good shows end up over here eventually. I grew up in Ireland so I just use VPN and have a computer hooked up to the tv.

·
Registered
423 Posts
inbetweeners, shameless, peep show, etc, are pretty good. But I agree most of the good shows end up over here eventually. I grew up in Ireland so I just use VPN and have a computer hooked up to the tv.
I was just about to edit my post and mention Inbetweeners and Shameless (which is due to be Americanised), and also the 3 part Red Riding. But the choice really is very limited, and as I said before, the grass ain't always greener.

·
Registered
149 Posts
And you don't think that the channels in the UK constantly recycle shows? They do, and just as much as over here.
Yes, I'm aware UK channels also rerun their content across other channels as well. I'm not saying bring the whole works of them over here, I'm saying it would be nice to have some to break up the monotony of US shows and wall-to-wall reruns we get here. They air reruns too, but if you were to bring one channel over here, even if that channel was 100% reruns, to us, that would actually be original fresh content because we haven't seen it before. Of course, minus any US shows that it may air that we've seen here or any UK shows that have been here too. But, you get my point.

A perfect example, although it's not British, is TVNZ Heartland. It's a cable channel in New Zealand that airs 100% NZ shows. Now, I'm guessing that the large majority of those shows, if not 100% of them, may be reruns that have already aired on other NZ channels, but, like I said above, 100% of the shows on that channel would be new original content because none of those (at least to my knowledge) has never aired here before.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, I'm aware UK channels also rerun their content across other channels as well. I'm not saying bring the whole works of them over here, I'm saying it would be nice to have some to break up the monotony of US shows and wall-to-wall reruns we get here. They air reruns too, but if you were to bring one channel over here, even if that channel was 100% reruns, to us, that would actually be original fresh content because we haven't seen it before. Of course, minus any US shows that it may air that we've seen here or any UK shows that have been here too. But, you get my point.

A perfect example, although it's not British, is TVNZ Heartland. It's a cable channel in New Zealand that airs 100% NZ shows. Now, I'm guessing that the large majority of those shows, if not 100% of them, may be reruns that have already aired on other NZ channels, but, like I said above, 100% of the shows on that channel would be new original content because none of those (at least to my knowledge) has never aired here before.
So, again, what UK tv shows would you like to see here? A lot of shows are very regional and would make absolutely no sense to anyone outside of that region.

I really can't believe that you are so bored of US & Canadian shows that you want another countries products be brought over here, whilst not listing one show or genre that you want to see.

What is so different in the UK, NZ, AUS, Europe that we don't get here?

What is it you're after?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
what is slingbox? maybe its a dum question, but is it something like tivo?
A slingbox is a box that sends TV you receive over the internet, so you can watch it nearly anywhere.

The hardware itself connects to the box or antenna you receive TV with (depending on model), and broadband internet.

The Sligbox apparent legal standing is that it basically receives the TV you are entitled to receive at your home, and only you receive it on your computer.

How Slingbox applies to getting UK TV in Canada is that you would supposedly have a friend or relative in the UK have a Slingbox installed with a spare box they receive TV with, and to their broadband, presuming they have a TV license and broadband, and some way to receive TV programming.

With that, I believe doing such could violate the legal standing Slingbox exists on, since it is not installed in your home, and you are not entited to watch those UK channels, because you do not live in the UK.

I have heard of a few companies commercially running a Sling service, so ex-pats and others can watch uk TV, but got shut down.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So, again, what UK tv shows would you like to see here? A lot of shows are very regional and would make absolutely no sense to anyone outside of that region.

I really can't believe that you are so bored of US & Canadian shows that you want another countries products be brought over here, whilst not listing one show or genre that you want to see.

What is it you're after?
There is no one specific show or genre that I'm speaking of, I'm just looking for new content that we haven't seen here before. We are bombarded with reruns here and it would be nice to get some new and original content here. We've been speaking of the UK here for the most part, but frankly, wherever that new and original content came from would be welcomed. Preferably, I would love to see some stuff from the UK though. It's different, like I said, it breaks up the monotony of the all the US shows. What I really can't believe here is that you're acting as if there is something wrong with wanting to see some of those shows or as if they're bad or something. What's the deal? I just want to see some new, fresh, original content that we haven't seen here before, whatever that it, whether its dramas, comedies, docs, films, or whatever. But it would also be nice if it was from the UK or NZ, AUS, etc, for the reasons that I've already mentioned.

There are plenty of good shows over there, why not bring it over here. I've seen The Inbetweeners, and it's a great show and I'm looking forward to the next season. Bring over some more of this stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
But which is more profitable?

By selling your programing to Canadian Broadcasters your basically guaranteed a certain price.

By having your service over here it depends on how much you charge and how many subs you can get, pay for Canadian Broadcast Rights and that's a guess at what profit you might make from that propect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Who says the CRTC doesn't allow them? Has anyone applied to carry them here?
Its both Cable/satellite companies and CRTC's responsibility to step up to the plate and demand such channels.

Take away some of the series and prime time shows and you are left with the majority of the programing like the morning shows and news that is completely catered to British & Irish people.
No offense but are you blind? You seem to confuse American channels with British TV channels. They broadcast shows from noon to late night, unlike American channels that gets filled with infomercials and pointless talk shows.

Even if the CRTC allowed them to broadcast, too many program rights issues would likely prevent them from broadcasting here anyways.
How come American channels gets their right to broadcast their shows here? If you have a show that broadcast at the same time as Canadians, then simply blackout them. This is how multicultural channels are running in the first place.

The reverse happens in the UK. We, they, want what we get over here and in the States; everyone assumes the grass is always greener. It isn't, it's just a different shade.
Agreed that ITV Channel 4 and 5 are somewhat styled into an American basis schedule, but all BBC channels are those channels you don't have worry about commercials. Just visit their iplayer site with some procies, and watch some of their shows. Its nothing close to the lack of qaulity shows you see in the US. To be honest I don't find anything entertaining watching shows like Lost, NCIS CSI, American Idol, and other pointless reality shows.

No one channel in the world can't just keep on running with new shows every single day. I don't get your logic there.

Having lived over here for 6 years now I'd say the shows put out by the American channels are far far better than what is coming from the BBC, ITV etc etc. UK Tv is over run with reality shows and spin offs of American Idol and the other usless talent shows.
Having lived there you show know that American Idol is based on a retired british show named "Pop Idol", so spinoffs of that show would mean they're actually following their own creation
Xfactor
Wife Swap
Come Dine With Me
Britain's Got Talent
How to look good Naked

All of the above show has been copied by the US.

The only decent stuff coming from the UK has been Life On Mars & Ashes to Ashes, which were picked up by Showcase.
Or you were throwing up your personal preference. How about misfits? Top Gear? Doctor Who, also care to check Global reality TV.

There has been very little that I have seen that is worth showing over here. Believe me, UK TV ain't it's all cracked up to be; I lived with it for 34 years!!!!
BBC alone you'll some new and improved dramas. The new ones that they released includes:

The Silence
Dive
Waterloo Road
Irresistible
Crash
Casualty

What actual shows do you have in mind? Pray tell.
See above, and if you want more just pm me.

Most shows if not all shows are based on UK, same with all the US shows. DO they care about who's watching their shows outside of the country? NO

Give me one Canadian shows other than some popular sport shows that broke rating outside of Canada. I can name only two or three in my entire life I saw. Flashforward, and Corner Gas. CTV is so obsessed with US shows that it refuses to broadcast any Canadian content let alone prime times dramas. And So you think you can dance Canada doesn't count as a Canadian content. CBC on the other tries hard but fails to make any great quality Canadian content. Most of their shows have low ratings.

The UK has the resource and the thinking to make unique shows that you won't find either in U.S, Canada, NZ AUS or anywhere else.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts