Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walk Score measures the 'walkability' (i.e. walking distance to various amenities) of a given address.

I scored a 68, which is classed as "somewhat walkable" - not too bad for the 'burbs. It won't find every single retail store/business, so it may not be 100% accurate, but good enough to paint a general picture how accessible various amenities are.

One really important factor (to me) it doesn't consider is live entertainment/music venues -which in my case- would score right around zero where I live :p

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Walk Score is 40 and Transit Score is 57.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Zeros across the board.
I live in a rural subdivision with no public transit and no ammenities.
And I love it (the area, not that I have to drive to things)

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
85. We live near Yonge & Eglinton and walk everywhere. The only car trips are for major groceries once every week or two because our favourite store is not nearby, even though we have 4 grocery stores within 2k (3 Metro, 1 Sobey's). I'll often ride my hybrid bike to get something that's not within walking distance, provided it fits in my back pack. We're both semi-retired so our cars do get out for occasional work and recreation.

The place we lived many years ago has a walk score of 100 (near Yonge & Bloor)

I put in various places we lived over the years and came up with a 90 Average.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
It would be interesting to have a "real life" score that includes driving.

While I drive most places, I am within 5 to 7 minutes of a major shopping mall, and major power center, a subway station, airport and about 3 minutes to Loblaws. I am a 5 minute walk to bank, variety store, pizza shop and 2 minutes from a park.

I don't want to be walking distance to all those things because then I would be too close to the highway and busy streets.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Walk score of 98.

Except, restaurants we would never eat at, shops we would never shop at, and a grocery store we only use for a one or two item emergency comprise that score.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My score (30) is skewed because, according to Walk Score, my nearest grocery store is only a few blocks away. That "grocery store" is actually the house the Western Canada rep for TNT Foods lives in. I'm sure he would appreciate shoppers showing up at his door.

The nearest grocery store is actually a Sobeys, much farther away.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
60 here. 20 years ago it would have been much higher. It's an older part of town that has seen dozens of small businesses close in that time. Several nearby banks and grocery stores have closed as well. A bakery just one block away closed last year. I would guess that half the store fronts on the nearby main street are empty.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My score was a zero... until I told 'it' that in spite of my suburban subdivision's actively walk-hostile location, my work commute is still less than 5 minutes! :D

Personally, I'd loathe and detest the idea of living in a concentrated urban area... having done so (uptown T.O.) for 5 years in the '80s. The noise and crowds would have me going postal in a matter of days... these days, anyway. ;)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been randomly checking different addresses that are close to each other - it's amazing that a change in a few blocks can drastically increase (or decrease) the score. My parents are about 2km away, and their score is 28 points lower than mine.

And as others have noted, the accuracy is highly dependent on the availability of complete, up-to-date data of local businesses in your area.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I loathe the idea of having warehouse stores on the city outskirts even more. Driving 5 miles to buy some groceries or a package of nails and getting stuck in mile long traffic jams due to bad planning are all to common here. Fortunately, there are a few smaller stores nearby for those items but I wonder how long they will last. I loved the downtown district we *had* here. It was safe with lots of clubs, stores, street parking and movie theaters. They are all gone now due to yuppies and puppies in big trucks using downtown as a shortcut to get from one outlying mall, big box store or big strip mall to another.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Transit score: 92
Walk score: 98

Sounds right as the only time I take the car out is to visit someone in the burbs.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Walk score 33. Not surprising, even my drive score would be low. I'm tucked away in the furthest corner of the city and it seems that all of the stores are always built in the opposite corners.

I found it interesting how many home based businesses showed up. There are 5 on the map within easy walking distance. Photography, alterations, ice-cream truck, software, and some sort of "solutions".

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Zero and zero. Hey a 4 hour walk to work. Now why didn't I think of that. Fortunately my bike takes me 50 minutes 8 months of the year and driving is 30 minutes the other 4.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Walk Score: 88
Transit Score: 87
Street Smart Score: 98

Yeah, it definitely has some wonky data when it comes to evaluating your scores. It incorrectly lists some tiny store as a grocery store, but doesn't take into account the two real grocery stores that are about the same distance away.

Still, a cool idea. Very handy for those in the real estate market.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Walk score: 50
Street Smart Score: 48

Not bad for living on the border between two cities, I guess. I do agree that I'm car dependant. It will take only 6 hours to walk to work ;) (My work is approx. 35km away and I commute using the train)

I couldn't see where I could find my transit score, however. Where can I find that out?

I did find it humorous that the nearest Movie theatre it picked has been closed down for about a couple years, hehe. They might need to update their data.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't need a walk score, I have walked for literally miles to a store, no bus, no car. People complain they have to walk a short distance, ohhhh that's too far lets go in the car.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts