• I receive MORE telemarketing calls

Votes: 43 24.0%
  • I am not on the DNCL

Votes: 16 8.9%
201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I asked a polling company the same question some time ago and was told the same answer, they are exempt from the federal Do Not Call List (DNCL), however you can request to be put on the internal do not call list of each company themselves by specifically requesting it.

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
Legitimate businesses may comply but I've found that asking scammers to put the number on the DNCL just makes them call more often. I get the impression that the people who are handling the call don't even know the number, they are just connected after a call by an automated dialer is answered.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Just ask which organization they are calling from and do your research, if they stutter or hesitate or sound panicky when trying to tell you their organization name, their likely a phony or scammer. A Legit business will be happy to provide their name and company contact info without hesitation. then do your homework, look em up, find out anything you can, you can even request to be put on their internal do not call list by contacting them via web or email, you do not always have to do it during the same phone call interaction when they call you.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have had a slew of calls recently from "Amazon" indicating I had ordered something and that is was suspicious I pressed 1 just to see what happens. They are obviously calling a cramped "call centre" and when asked for either the Amazon Order reference number, their employee ID and my best one, that made them pause for a bit, I asked why the liked to scam people they simply hung up. in all cases. For the thirty seconds to annoy them back it was worth it. STIR/SHAKEN is not what I thought it was going to be as all these calls had spoofed numbers from Canada.

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
I've received the Amazon calls as well. The message is usually an automated recording stating than some expensive item was purchased on Amazon. A legitimate call would normally be from the bank or credit card company and are usually made by a person.

STIR/SHAKEN has done nothing to prevent such calls. Most seem to be from boiler rooms in Asia which should be easy to block. It's obvious the policy is not being implemented well, if at all, by the phone companies. What's worse is that, apart from a few independent VoIP companies, telecoms don't seem to want to provide consumers with the tools to block such calls.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I receive spam calls in bouts, none for a while then a bunch, etc.

So now I'm receiving a bunch again. All obviously the same campaign, all from India, all from a Toronto area code.

There is no indication of it being spoofed, although I am running the most recent iOS.

Has anyone else actually seen a STIR notification?

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I have never seen a STIR notification myself personally. When this was first discussed I stated to anyone discussing about it that this will NOT STOP you from receiving spam calls which is a big misconception people have. You will still receive them, however they will soon implement a Verified Caller checkmark icon or badge and you will see a lot of unverified from the telemarketers, but the rest of your trusted contacts should be verified and show the green checkmark

So far no one has reported seeing the new checkmark or badge upon incoming calls.

There is another Caller Verification badge that some phones have that is not based on STIR technology, instead its based on your caller ID querying a database that people can report numbers to. its only based on the number. This is not the same technology

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Been getting a ton of spam calls lately, all the usual scams, and the usual fake numbers. Nothing seems to have changed, there's no "verified" badge in sight.

At this point I just want the telecos to stop routing any call from Asia to me, because there is no legitimate reason why that would ever happen while it's the source of most of the scam calls. If a call is coming from Pakistan but has a phone number from New Brunswick, it should be pretty obvious that it's fake and they should just nuke it.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
There is a valid reason for foreign callers to have a local number. If a company has a help desk, etc., elsewhere, they may want the company's main number to be listed.

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
That is true but just how often do overseas support companies call customers? It's usually the other way around. The few calls I've received that seemed legitimate were sales calls and I don't want those either. Legitimate companies that frequently call from overseas call centres and offices can arrange to have those numbers and sources white listed. Other calls with spoofed numbers or from known spammers can be blocked.

What it boils down to is that phone companies don't want to be bothered with the overhead of reducing spam because it costs money and that might reduce profits, stock prices, CEO bonuses and investor dividends. In today's economy, some companies don't care about product and service quality, just profits. They get away with it due to limited competition in some sectors such as communications. It's a race to the bottom as companies that cut costs and inflate prices dominate industries by buying out the competition with excess profits.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
@ExDilbert

"That is true but just how often do overseas support companies call customers?"

Have you not had the experience of being told of a long wait and asked if you'd like a call back? How was the first contact made? It's not always by phone. There have been a few occasions when I contacted support on a web site and then requested a call back to my phone number. It might also be a continuation of a previous call. That certainly happened, when I was providing 3rd level support at IBM. In those situations, the help desk would take the details and when I received the ticket, I would contact the user.

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
Like I said, "Legitimate companies that frequently call from overseas call centres and offices can arrange to have those numbers and sources white listed. Other calls with spoofed numbers or from known spammers can be blocked."

201 - 213 of 213 Posts