Votes: 43 24.0%
  • I am not on the DNCL

Votes: 16 8.9%
181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Super Moderator
57,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
STIR/SHAKEN should now be effective. Has anyone who uses their phone regularly seen any sort of "verification" message come up in addition to the CallerID on their home or cell phone? See video in link of post 177. Sample screenshot below:

If you have seen such a verification, please provide the name of your service provider, along with the make/model of your phone, beit home phone or cell phone.

Sky Orange Font Magenta Screenshot

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Nope. I only turn my prepaid cellphone on when I leave the house once or twice a week. If I get spam text I report it to Rogers and get a refund when I renew. But today I got more than one telemarketing (?) call on my home phone, one just asking if I was who I was and hanging up after I confirmed, others just hanging up. I'm aware of the "answer yes" and look forward to fighting it I'm targeted, but these annoying hangup calls mistify me.
STIR/SHAKEN should now be effective. Has anyone seen any sort of "verification" message come up in addition to the CallerID on their home or cell phone? See video in link of post 177. Sample screenshot below:

View attachment 12359

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Hang up calls can be nothing more than someone dialing back a number that supposedly called them and it just happened to be spoofed with your number. I still get these calls a few weeks ago. Someone called me because they claimed my number showed up on their call ID and I was a duct cleaner calling.

Just a big FYI (For Your Info) This new Stir Shaken technology will NOT eliminate telemarketing calls, its not designed to do that, Telemarketing will still happen, however it will definitely weed out the bad ones aka the scammers, the duct cleaning, the CRA, the Microsoft virus. You will still get telemarketing calls from hospitals, charity's, politicians, or businesses you had a past relationship with. You can still get a telemarketer call from a Verified number, but you will now have one more tool the call verification tool, to help you determine if you should press that answer button.

On my current phone I have yet to see the Call Verified indicator or green checkmark, I checked Bell Mobility but it says my phone is not listed yet to support this just yet.

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
I block every unknown number on my wireless phone. Number spoofing is one of the issues that Stir Shaken technology should address. Spoofing is what makes it almost impossible to block spam and scam calls at the consumer level.

The duct cleaning calls are potentially the most insidious. You may get some ducts cleaned but it also lets the cleaner identify everything that is worth stealing. More than the ducts can get cleaned out. If I get one of those calls, I just pretend I heard ducks and ask if they clean Canada Geese as well.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I tried to block and ignore numbers I do not recognize, however It also occurred to me that a lot of medical institutions like my Dentist, My family doctor, my physio, my eye doctor, a few charities I donate to, heck even my car dealership, are known to call and text me from numbers I do not recognize. A medical office tried to send me a Robo call to remind me of a change in my appointment date, however I did not receive the call because of the call blocking feature so here I am going to my medical appointment only to find out my appointment was moved. Apparently a lot of businesses pay for a robo call service to send reminders or notices to their clients about upcoming appointments. Its a third party so they do not always have control over the number being used. Yes it sucks but sometimes you need to take that call or you will miss an important message.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The duct cleaning calls are potentially the most insidious. You may get some ducts cleaned but it also lets the cleaner identify everything that is worth stealing. More than the ducts can get cleaned out. If I get one of those calls, I just pretend I heard ducks and ask if they clean Canada Geese as well.
Or if you get a Microsoft call, ask for help with your Mac or Chrome Book.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Or if you get a Microsoft call, ask for help with your Mac or Chrome Book.
I run Linux and play dumb on those calls. Sometimes I'll go on about how my keyboard (an IBM model M) doesn't have a Windows key, but I like it because it's built like a tank, etc.. ;)

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
I know someone who got taken for $300 by the Microsoft scam. One time I played along to see how it would play out. They had me open the system log and look for error messages. They were normal errors that are found on most Windows systems. The next step was to connect to my system and "fix" them. That's when I hung up. Another time they claimed to be Intel.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The next step was to connect to my system and "fix" them. That's when I hung up.
Noooo! That's where fun begins. The will send you to one of the remote assistance web sites and ask you to install client software. You tell them that download is blocked by your browser. Then they try another one, and another one. Then you do it in sandbox or VM, etc. I once had them on line for more than half an hour. Half of their "technicians" were involved (I could hear them consulting each other). Imagine how many innocent souls I saved that day. :p

·
Registered
665 Posts
Since the start of the pandemic, our VoIP home phone service and our cell phones (Cityfone) have been deluged with unknown callers, S.I.N. number scammers and fake CRA calls ("there is a warrant out for your arrest").
I've never experienced the volume of nuisance calls.
We have VoIP.ms home phone and it seems to fair better than our cell phones, but what the heck??
Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
57,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Unfortunately, there isn't too much to be done. STIR/SHAKEN, as discussed in recent pages of this thread, has been implemented, however, the "verify" portion doesn't appear to have made it to cell phone firmware in Canada yet, unless someone has noticed otherwise. (Post 181)

What I do for my home phone is I have a distinctive ring for anyone in my own directory, and I don't answer any callers that are not on that list. This may not work for some/most people.

I don't use my cell phone much for calls, and I don't have voicemail enabled. If a call comes in from someone I know, I'll call or text them back. All others are ignored. This may not work for most people.

Unless I get numerous calls from the same number, I don't even bother blocking them any more because scammers are always changing their spoofed numbers or spoofing numbers from my exchange, which I ignore.

Some providers have implemented algorithms that you need to opt into that seem to work fairly well - Shaw was discussed earlier in this thread. I'm with Rogers and perhaps they'll implement these algorithms once they take over Shaw. I believe that's for home phone, but perhaps people with cell phones have the same option to opt in.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
For landlines, it only works for IP Phones.
From the link:
"Will STIR/SHAKEN apply to landline phone service (home phone, business phone) as well?

Yes, STIR/SHAKEN applies to landlines if the call is completed on a next-gen (IP) telecom network."

What does that mean? Rogers Home Phone is VoIP to the terminal, where it emulates POTS. Will it work if the POTS phone has call display?

·
Super Moderator
57,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
I'm guessing it will work on Rogers Home Phone, however, the "verify" message would need to be part of the firmware of whatever phone you have in your home, unless they incorporate the verify (or not verified) message into regular call display or name display, which many home phones have, but not necessarily.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
@57

Isn't the text received, not built into the firmware. I often see names in the display, so it's not likely they're built in. It could just as easily display "Number Verified" as a name.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Cellphones differ vastly compared to Traditional landlines using PSTN technology. With a Traditionally Analog Telephone, there is no verify message, the phone was built to a spec/standard that is used around the world and there will never be any enhancements to this spec to incorporate new technologies.

Rogers home phone though its VoIP based, it still has a limitation of how to display messages on the handset other than the caller ID, they could easily add some kind of beep sound when you pick it up to notify you, or put some special symbol or character in the Caller ID name, or simply just do nothing and leave it alone, so the verification is done but nothing will notify you the end user

Cellphones on the other hand, especially ones that use more newer technologies (4G and newer), can be upgraded via back end enhancements on the network side and on the phones firmware itself to introduce newer calling enhancements relatively easy.

For the Verified Caller checkmark or symbol to appear, there must be both upgrades done on the backend network, as well at the handset level. So far reading this post, it appears the upgrades might be done on the back end systems only at this time with the exception of Google Pixel, so its just a matter of them working with the handset makers to have the software/firmware gradually rolled out soon.

·
Registered
665 Posts
One more question.
We are getting a lot of calls from research companies, EKSOS comes to mind.
Are these polling companies not prohibited from calling those on the DNC list?

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Polling companies, politicians and companies that you did business with in the past year have exemptions. Sometimes I wonder if all polling companies are legitimate. It's an easy claim for a scammer to make.

181 - 200 of 213 Posts