Votes: 43 24.0%
  • I am not on the DNCL

Votes: 16 8.9%
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Super Moderator
57,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DNCL has been out for just over 3 years. Have the number of telemarketing calls actually decreased for you?

When the DNCL first came out there was mention that some telemarketers had hacked into the system and that people on the DNCL actually received more telemarketing calls.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your experience in this poll.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I answered on behalf of my parents who are on the DNCL. They received tons of telemarketing calls before, and they still get tons, so I voted about the same.
They have far too much patience; I simply hang up the phone.

·
Registered
462 Posts
i never signed up for it as i have a private number. I'm glad i never did as there are many exemptions for charity's, political party's and other kinds of bs.

I don't trust the government with keeping our information private, just look at for example all those military veterans private files being shared with lots of people. To me singing up for it seemed to be an invitation for more calls.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
In my opinion it's an utter joke and waste of time and money. All it has really done is stopped some of the more scrupulous marketers while doing nothing for the majority who don't care and work off the assumption that not enough people will call to complain and possibly end up in one of the few fines handed out.

At least 4 to 5 time a week we get one of the auto recorded messages, as well as numerous calls with no one on the line. I assume they're the ones were an auto dialer keeps calling and someone on their end notices that someone has picked up. Most when I question if they pay attention to the do not call list say they don't. Or the ones that do say I must have expired when I know I haven't. Most of them as well, will just hang up on you when you ask to talk to their supervisor.

There are days when we can get as many as 3 or 4 calls and none of them from allowable callers. So I would say we're getting more than before the DNCL.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Same decent results as Insider22.

Regarding the ones that are exempt I usually get good results if I ask them to put my number on their DNC list.

Now if there was some way to get the offshore telemarketers (Microsoft windows virus scam and their friends) to get convicted under this act.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I still get a lot of telemarketers, both legit and not. Nobody seems to care if someone's on the DNCL, the legislation has no teeth. Anyone can spoof their caller ID, or call you from outside of Canada, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I just got a call from the Winnipeg Free Press (who, for some reason, is exempt); I get calls all the time from people asking me if i'm using Windows, whether I'd like to lower my CC interest rate/become debt-free, whether i'd like a cruise on a yacht, etc. The CRTC provides the entire DNCL to telemarketers, in plain-text, for a $50 fee.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The DNCL does not stop the scumbag marketers. It also does not stop newspapers, politicians, telemarketing calls from companies you deal with and survey companies. We still get a few of those and lots when an election is near. The thing that pisses me off the most is that Bell will not let me block exempt callers (especially politicians) with their call blocking feature. Then we get telemarketers posing as survey agencies. What a scam that is. We block these calls on a local phone but it still rings once before the caller ID is sent. I'm hoping to migrate to VOIP service that has decent call blocking capabilities. The DNCL does work to some extent but it's abused by exempted callers and scumbag telemarketers.

BTW, the DNCL listing can be checked and extended at any time. It's not necessary to wait the full time to relist the number.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The results here are cyclic.

We've had an uptick in the number of calls lately, mostly off-shore. Overall, though, a reduction being on the list.

My wife got the infamous Windows one, she already knew about it and naturally stumped them with the "which one" response. I'm itching to get one of those... :)

Silence upon answering until their systems time out sometimes helps with reoccurring calls.

My favorite: back in '98-'99, noted the start time when a fast-food "survey" came in... kept him on the phone for 55 minutes, then I refused to provide income info... Which... of... course.... wasted... 55... minutes..... And his "survey" and offer.... :)

Cameron

·
Registered
39 Posts
Much less calls, but I still get those annoying scam calls "You won a cruise! Please press 1 to claim your prize!" and I was still receiving calls from the newspaper company.

Problem #2 was solved after I switched to voip.ms; now when they call they get a busy signal.

The scammers are impossible to block unless you don't mind blocking every area code in the country! Most seem to be from Alberta though (the caller ID, I'm sure they're calling from outside of Canada). So what I do, I press 1 and when an actual person is there, I say obscenities and they hang up. :D

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Works for me

I have received noticeably fewer telemarketing calls the past three years after registering my number with the DNCL.

I registered September 30, 2008 with an expiry date of October 31, 2011. I recently renewed for five years.

Anyone who signed up at the beginning, and is satisfied with the DNCL, will need to renew the service for their number. I believe the original maximum term was for three years.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I voted fewer calls although I am not really convinced of that. Threw out all my clocks. I know it is 5pm because that is when they call :p Once a week for at least 4 weeks I got the duct cleaning yokkels. I never had the brains to ask for a phone number and I will call you back after my supper. Jeez, couldn't they find someone who speaks a smiggin of English just to make sure they can be understood in that far off galaxy of a piddling little African "nation". I have a Fox 40 referees whistle beside the cordless phone here in the computer area and another by the kitchen phone. When I get that "there's nothing wrong with your credit but ...." I hit button 1 and when a live body responds I blow their brains (brain?) out. Go ahead, make my day. :cool: sailmaker

·
Registered
835 Posts
I just moved, so I've been do lazy to set it all up again. But I did three 3 things at my old phone number that pretty much dropped my telemarketing calls to zero:

1) Got added to the national DNC list
2) Michael Geist had a webpage up. Basically any charity/company that is exepmpt from the DNC, still has to put you on a DNC list if you asked specifically. So basically you signed up on the website and it would automatically send email requests to all the companys/charity with exepmtions to remove your number from their lists.
3) You know that tone you hear when you dial a number that is out of service? you know.. do do do, the number you have reached is not in service. Apprently the autodialers for telemarketer's pick up on that tone. So I recorded the tone onto my answering machine message. I learned about this while googling how to avoid telemarketers.

I'm not sure which of those 3 is the most effective. What I do know, is that I now have a new phone number and its only on the DNC list. I'm started to get some annoying toll free numbers calling me multiple times a day. I have call display so I don't pick it up. I think its time to rerecord the out of service beep on my answering machine message.

·
Super Moderator
57,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Zod said:
3) You know that tone you hear when you dial a number that is out of service? you know.. do do do, the number you have reached is not in service.
Not sure, but maybe it is called "Fast Busy" Tone.

Ya, that would be a good one to use if they pick up on that particular tone.

That tone usually indicates "bad number" "non existant number" or "all lines busy" or generally "other trouble, can't complete the call".

Ha ha ... Ya, good ideas to shut down those nuisance calls.

( I kept getting calls from a number, 1-210-301-0307, looked it up on the internet, said it was from Texas somewhere - some vacation / trip / cruiseline telemarketing. But they're persistant as heck. They never leave a voice message. Keep calling - months later even - even after never answering. Internet shows many others receiveing those calls from that number. You can do internet search on an incoming number, and usually that will lead you to a web-site where others report these nuisance calls and what / who they are. And you can read all the posts from others on that incoming nuisance number)

1 - 20 of 213 Posts