Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driven crazy with Bell telemarketing calls in the last month or so (this is about 10 months since I switched from Bell to Rogers for my home phone and internet service.).

It started with 2 or 3 calls per week, escalating to 5 to 6 calls PER DAY :mad: :mad: in one particular 3 day period. At first, I would not answer when i saw the unfamiliar numbers come up on caller ID, at that point not knowing it was BELL. Then I checked my caller ID log and saw how many times the same or very similar number from an unfamiliar area code had been calling over the previous few days, so I decided to find out who had called. I dialed two of the numbers, and received the standard "the number you have dialed is not in service" recording - so they were obviously faking their caller ID number.

The next time I saw the number come up on caller ID, I answered and finally learned the call was coming from "Connections - calling on behalf of Bell". I unloaded a blast on the poor telemarketer about the harassment and told them to put me on their DO NOT CALL list and to not call me again.

A half hour later, I get another call! I gave this telemarketer the same blast, and this time threatened that the next call would be from my lawyer to them, suing them for harassment.

The calls stopped for a couple of weeks, but this past week I got another call from "Connections..."

Any ideas on what I can do to end this crap?

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Something similar happened to me last year when I left Bell for Rogers. Here are my suggestions.

1. I'm always polite when dealing with telemarketers and simply ask them to remove my number from their calling list. If you're impolite, they could decide to bother you more (an individual for example)

2. I believe they have a time period of a certain number of days (perhaps 30) to remove your number from their list, so don't expect an instant stoppage of the calls.

3. If I get more than a couple of calls from a certain number, I add the number to my phone's "call block" function - works well.

I probably get about 1 call per week from various surveys, telemarketers, etc.

If you do a search of this forum for "telemarket*", you'll find several previous threads on the topic of how to deal with them.

Bell did stop calling me after a few weeks. I also asked them to stop mailing me promotional items - that took a call or e-mail (from their website)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I was getting many calls from Bell as well. It took a complaint to the CRTC, which resulted in a call from the CEO's office to get them to stop. I also made it clear to them that those harassing calls were the main reason I cancelled my phone service with them and moved to Rogers.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Just as an FYI, I didn't receive any calls or mail promotions until I left. They apparently then wanted me back, but I politely made it clear that I was not coming back.

I gave them a chance to "price match" my phone bill before leaving, which they declined.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
They also have the RIGHT to call you if you previously had a service with them. And they may 'think' that trumps any DNC list or regulation.

What someone should do is record the conversations where they identify themselves and you asking politely to not be called in the future. Then over a 2 week period post the results on youtube.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@jake - agreed that they have the right to call me since I had a previous business relationship with them, and I have the right not to answer a call from an unfamiliar caller ID number- but I don't think that gives them the right to call me 5 or 6 times a day if I refuse to answer.

@57 - I've also been receiving mailings from them in addition to the calls - at least one every week or so. I too gave them a chance to price match before I switched to Rogers and they wouldn't budge. Their questions to me was "why would you want to switch companies just to save $10 per month" - to which I asked back why they would be willing to lose a customer of over 20 years for the sake of $10 a month - of course they had no answer.

thanks for the feedback everyone - I'll keep these points in mind. Hopefully they'll forget about me at some point...

·
Registered
748 Posts
18 months is the period after doing business with a company during which the DNC list does not apply.

My gripe, not having had any Bell services for 10+years, is with the number of "fake Bell" calls we get. These would be from off-shore sounding call centres (very poor English, noisy backgrounds, etc) that seem call every number in the phone book and always use blocked or fake numbers. Another reason I assume these are fake is that Bell wouldn't risk complaints to the CRTC over calls to numbers on the DNC for which the exemption does not apply; Bell doesn't want the kind of publicity.

For these fake callers, one needs to combine a balance of indignation with caution. If you talk to them briefly, you will discover many are fishing for personal information which will lead to identity theft or worse. Since they are unrelated to Bell they aren't selling communications services; they are attempting to steal information. They seem to think saying they are from Bell gives instant credibility and puts you in awe of them. Oddly, I have never had one say he (almost invariably male) he was from Rogers or Telus.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tele Zapper

Just buy a Tele Zapper. Install it in-line with your telephone and the wall jack. It emits a tome burst that causes issues with the telemarketer's ACD.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My gripe, not having had any Bell services for 10+years, is with the number of "fake Bell" calls we get. These would be from off-shore sounding call centres (very poor English, noisy backgrounds, etc)
I was wondering about that. Atrocious sound quality, like a $1 headset, unintelligible and incomprehensible. Why would somebody trying to sell a phone service do it sounding so awful? Why do they not know *exactly* what Bell services I already have? They seem to know something, but I guess it's pretty easy to find out I have a Bell phone of some type. How can they give me a proper bundle price if they don't know too? They will *never* mail the offer for me to peruse it; I always insist on that and refuse to listen to it over the phone, the reason being I'd never accept it from just over the phone so pointless to spiel it. And the frequent calls for the same thing: a true call centre would know all the calling details and wouldn't call with the same offer every 2 days etc. Don't know if this points to fake, but might be...I'll pay better attention next time, for my amusement.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was talking with my Dad;and he said a Bell representative asked him for his SIN number. My Dad told him what to do. :) I am sure the caller was not from bell. "I hope" You have to be careful what you give out over the phone. There are a lot of people that like to take advantage of others.

BTW: At one point I was getting calls from bell representatives. minimum once or twice a week.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Connections.

This Company, Connections, based in Brampton I believe are causing Bell some major headaches, with hundreds if not thousands of complaints, to both Bell and the CRTC.

From my conversations, the CRTC are about to come down on Bell, very very hard for this 'rogue' telemarketer.

I was told that the owner had recruited a Call Centre in India, to call potential customers, not sure how true this is but it sounds plausible.

Not sure if this will make the national press but it should.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hell am a Bell client and I get that sort of crap call all the time! They always want to up-sell my package, sell me StretchVue and sometimes they offer me 5$ rebate on my Internet but with half of my previous bandwidth!
Try getting off their list when you're a client! lolll

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow! Luck getting mail stopped.

I've asked them a few times to stop mailing me stuff, yet the personalized mail keeps coming.

Aren't their rules on misleading advertising? They were offering home phone with 5 features and Fibe 6 for 53.90/month for two years. Read the fine print and you add $3.95/month for the modem rental which is mandatory, $2.80 for touch tone, and I will give them the 911 fee because I'm assuming that's gov't mandated. Adding up those costs adds more than 10% to the real cost. To me that's nothing short of misleading the consumer in a devious way.

As for their generous offer, my current provider gives me 10 features on home phone plus 5 Mbit unlimited internet for $59.99 - no magnifying glass necessary, no suprises on the monthly bill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got these calls for about 2 months solid. They would claim to be representing Bell, and then proceed to start asking for info on my services. I told them if they were from Bell, they already had that info, so I wouldn't confirm or deny which Bell services I used. That seemed to confuse them.

Each time I called Bell customer service after the call to complain. They said they didn't have direct control over the people calling me. I said "That's fine, but why are you allowing these people to sell services on your behalf?". I didn't get a clear answer on why they couldn't enforce a code of conduct on their vendors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had made a tone burst called "SIT tone" and put it first as a opening message on my answering machine, that do the job and tell to the telemarketing system that your number is not a good one. It worked well for me.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
You can download the various SIT tones from here. You have to play the tone and then click on "More" to download.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Telezapper, have had to for a couple of years. it definitely has cut down on telemarketing calls (along with caller ID), but it hasn't seemed to help in this case. I think they finally got tired of not getting an answer. The calls seem to have stopped.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I only started getting these calls when I signed up with Solo Mobile. I asked them to remove me from their call list/ add to internal do not call list numerous times but no luck. I finally called bell mobility customer service and specifically asked them to add me to the bell do not call list. I haven't received a call since. :D

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
This is a really weird one we got today... A customer of ours called us, said that a Bell telemarketer called and offered her a really good bundle deal. The interesting thing is that the telemarketer knew she was a customer of ours, and had her customer number. Surprised by this, she went and grabbed a recent bill and verified that they did indeed have her customer number.

This has me really mystified and disturbed. She might have fallen victim to a phishing scam, which we've been targeted by a few times, but I can't see how else they could have gotten her customer number.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts