Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, now I have the DVR situation 90% solved, I'm ready to whine about my other beef with Novus.

With Shaw, I was turned off by the infamous sound dropouts. But I'm finding PVR with Novus is way worse. It's not so much the sound dropouts but the picture/sound dropouts that have been plaguing Novus HD the last month. It's horrible.

The problem may be with the source but I doubt it. The problems are across most HD channels. I was watching a recording of CBC tonight and had to turn the channel to live. Rick Mercer kept disintegrating into pixels and silence.

Something has to be done. So much of HD in virtually unwatchable these days. It seemed fine the first month but the last month has been pretty bad. Tonight is especially bad.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I recorded Rick Mercer tonight and it was fine, but Monday night recordings were plagued by a/v dropouts. I had recorded LoneStar, Castle & Hawaii Five-O off the eastern feeds all with issues. Castle was the worse.

I found this happening on SD channels as well, especially the 5:00 PM recordings of the new Dr. Who episodes when they were first run on Space, but the next airing the same night of the same show recorded fine.

What to do???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Drop outs

Not sure if this is it but, I actually heard a radio piece that would somewhat explain your drop outs. Something about broadcast feeds from satellites in orbit over the equator being affected for a day or two right around the Autumnal Equinox because the Sun is perfectly in line with the equator. I guess the drop outs could be the uplink switching to a ground based feed.

Of course I could be totally off base and someone far more knowledgeable could explain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts