Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Panny LED 42" 1080p 120hz TV 2 months ago that had uneven backlighting (green hue on bottom on black screen) and motion blur / artifacts when Motion Pro Plus 4 was enabled. I exchanged it for another and it has the same problems. A friend of mine has a Samsung that has motion blur / artifacts when he has his smooth motion setting turned on as well.

I like the smooth motion in some cases. But every time I turn it on, the halos / artifacts etc is too noticeable and I just turn it off.

My question is what is the point of having this on a TV when it doesn't work right? I figured the Panasonic would make for a great picture and have a good smooth motion engine but I was disappointed. When MPP4 is off, I still see jitter despite it being a 120hz TV.

I am debating on exchanging it again for the Panasonic 42" plasma but its an extra $300+.

TIA

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The way plasma is designed allows for it to better handle fast motion without resorting to "gimmicks" like frame interpolation and 120/240Hz displays. As you mentioned the smooth motion feature works well sometimes, but not all times. There are sometimes different levels of smooth motion for different brands, so you could try that and see if the blurring/artifacts aren't as noticeable.

LCD uses about half the power of plasma, and I like the black look of LCD's when they are turned off--plasmas are grey when turned off--so they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Videophiles will choose a plasma over LCD everytime, but some like the look of LCD over plasma so each to his own.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
@bradp: The idea that LCD sets are as good as plasmas is the result of the marketing departments at the various manufacturers. When plasmas first came out they were extremely expensive. The companies needed a cheaper alternative if wide screen TVs were to become the norm. For this they turned to LCD. Admittedly these sets have opened up widescreen/HD to a much wider market than plasma could ever have done on its own however plasma still is the best for picture quality particularly deep blacks and "pure" colours.

With specific regard to motion-blur issues, all of the tricks used to improve motion on LCD/LED sets are, as jumpy27 says, really just gimmicks or perhaps kludges is a better word. They can sometimes provide the illusion of smooth motion but the basic flaw, which is the slow pixel response time compared to plasma, remains. Its all just hype.

In a similar vein one manufacturer recently is trying to convince the world that adding an extra "colour" to the standard RGB colour set means that their sets can produce more colours than any other. What they won't admit is the colour they've added is NOT a primary colour but already a mixture. Working with RGB there is no reason that other companies' sets can't produce those same colours as well. Anyone with a basic understanding of science can see through this one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the responses.

I had a Samsung 720 42" plasma that developed red bleeding, logo burn in (from transparent logos oddly enough) and later red-ish dancing pixels after a logic board replacement. FutureShop offered to replace it so I stepped up to the Panasonic LED as I figured it would be the safer choice given my experiences with plasma.

So going back to plasma scares me to be honest. And the TCP42G25 has mixed reviews that include buzzing. Its also power hungry.

My 30 day return option is over Friday so I have to make up my mind this week if I'm going to keep the LED or exchange for something else.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
In a similar vein one manufacturer recently is trying to convince the world that adding an extra "colour" to the standard RGB colour set means that their sets can produce more colours than any other. What they won't admit is the colour they've added is NOT a primary colour but already a mixture. Working with RGB there is no reason that other companies' sets can't produce those same colours as well. Anyone with a basic understanding of science can see through this one.
Unfortunately that company deliberately mislead the consumer by saying that they've added the fourth primary colour.

As we all know, Yellow is not primary colour but a secondary colour. Also if they want to add secondary colour, then they should also add Cyan and Magenta.

It's only making calibration more tedious and there is no positive in adding Yellow pixel into the mix anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts