Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I see that all Shaw's internet packages now include the modem at no cost. I myself have had Shaw for several years and own a modem. I know someone who is moving out soon, and I have a spare owned modem (given to me a while back), what's the point of giving it away, if Shaw is going to give this person a new modem?

For those out there who own their modems or any Shaw EE's here.... is there any benefit to owning a modem now a days? We used to get a $5 discount on our bills - but does everyone get that now?

Just curious
Shawguy

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yep. I brought this up with Shaw last time I spoke to them.

It is misleading that they try to represent a $5 discount on my bill for "owned modem discount" when in reality any person off the street gets charged the same rate even if they don't own their modem.

My bill shows a $50 per month charge for high speed internet, minus a $5 discount for having purchased my modem from Shaw. If you look at Shaw's website, the advertised rate is $45 per month, modem rental included.

When I mentioned to the CSR that I don't like being mislead like this, she said "well that's just the way we structure the bill". Right.

So there is no benefit to those of us who purchased our modem, we pay the same as anyone who rents theirs.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well good to know. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thats good to know that you can take your pruchased modem and use it on a third party, I knew Shaw wasn't being nice for just any old reason. haha

·
Registered
470 Posts
I got back from vacation disconnect (7 months), and found out that they had tried to change my modem the day before we got back (we reconnect a day early to avoid being down when we arrive home).

But they never told us and, after 2 weeks, they made our modem no longer work. So I had to drive to their store and line up for a swap. It would have been nice if they had sent us an email at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts