Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a plasma that's started acting up recently. The problem is very intermittent and usually happens mostly on the first few minutes after start-up. (It's not related to the feed - it happens on all sources and the OSD.)

Since the problem is so intermittent, I think I'll need to be able to describe it well before getting it serviced as I may not have it happen when the tech is onsite.

The symptom is that the picture will flicker for a fraction of a second at a time and will look way over saturated. For example, flesh tones in faces will look golden-bronze or even brown. Other colors will appear significantly darkened. And most noticeable, whites or near whites will turn hot-pink (really pink like RGB 255,0,128).

My question is: Is there a name for this effect. If this is called a "thing-a-ma-jiggy" effect then at least I would be able to call for service and say that I get a "thing-a-ma-jiggy" effect intermittently and randomly since the tech likely won't be able to witness it in person.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I don't think this is a plasma specific effect.

It sounds like something in the display processing path is going bad and it is messing up the RGB conversion. It manifests itself a particular way on a plasma but on any display you would get wacky output.

If it were isolated to a region of the screen (typically a vertical stripe) it could have been a flakey power supply but since it's the whole screen area it's most likely in the electronics.

·
Registered
833 Posts
When it happens does it last for more than a few seconds? If so maybe try keeping a digital camera nearby so you can snap a picture of the problem.

·
Registered
555 Posts
if you see it during regular blu ray viewings instead of only thru your HDTV cable/sat provider then it might your TV. if you only see this during cable/sat viewings, then its your cable/sat provider.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only happens for a few seconds mostly when first turned on. After that, when it happens it's for barely a fraction of a second. Like an occasional flickering.

I agree, I'm best to try to record it or capture it with the digital camera.

I'm actually not sure if it happens with the OSD now. It could be that I thought it was effecting the OSD when in fact it was from the underlying picture and the slight transparency of the OSD. Hard to tell - I'm going to have to monitor it more closely.

And I'll try it on BD as well. So far I see it on both component HD (which I use primarily) and coax (distant PVR used rarely).

Thanks everyone - good comments so far. If anyone has any other advice or suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Sounds like it may be losing the green signal. If it's happening with component cables, it could be a bad connection or cable, maybe a switch if one is present. If it doing it with HDMI, it's probably the TV.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still trying to work out what this problem is called so I can accurately describe it to a technician.

The problem can be anywhere from a fraction of a second to 10-20 seconds at a time. But is intermittent which worries me - the technician isn't going to sit in my living room for 6 hours waiting for it to happen.

The problem does happen with ALL sources (coax, component, and HDMI). It does NOT effect the OSD - only the underlying TV picture.

Searching online for pictures which look like what I see has been challenging. But similar effects are sometimes called: Colored Chrome Effect, or Multi-Tone Effect, or Psychedelic Watercolor Effect.

Does that ring any bells with anyone who may be an expert in this area and familiar with those terms? Anyone think of what could be an issue that would cause effects like that? (So far I'm going with ScaryBob's suggestion of loosing the green signal - I'm trying to work out if there's lack of green in the pic when it happens).

Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm sure that the technician would have a wide range of diagnostic equipment that he could hook up to your TV and find the anomoly. The equipment and your description should be enough for a good service technician figure out what's going on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts