Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
2 HD - 1 SD

or 3 SD

BUT REMEMBER . . . if it's recorded content, it doesn't count for incoming bandwidth. So you could record the 5 HD Programs during the day, then watch them all on different boxes (max of 5) later on, ALL at the same time, and still be able to watch / record 2 HD and 1 SD live.

·
Super Moderator
16,406 Posts
I don't see much reason for MTS to use pair bonding to extend the reach of Ultimate TV. Most areas of Winnipeg are accessible by the existing fibre-optic infrastructure, it's just a matter of getting converted over to VDSL2. New areas like Waverly West and major rebuilds like Selkirk will probably be FTTH.

I guess it depends how may extra homes could be reached, how complex the technology is and whether spare pairs are available to use 2 pairs per household.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the old hd system on mts required 2 pairs to the house. remember the old hd system, where you got 6 HD channels lol? it wouldnt be practical in some areas to offer 2 pairs because some situations there are no spare pairs. if you have to start doubling up pairs you might as well switch to 22 or 24 gauge wire.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Dr. Dave, the way I'm understanding this (and I'm just guessing) is that pair bonding would help people such as myself, whose neighborhood has been converted for VDSL2 but are just slightly past the range for VDSL2 but still within range of Classic.

That article said something about pairs in the same binder might suffer from crosstalk, and I think there's only one (maybe two) binder left by the time it reaches my pedestal anyway. And from talking to techs, MTS sounds very stingy on "tying up facilites" which I think means using up spare pairs and stuff.

mtsguy, I hear what you're saying. I'm not sure if you meant doubling up pairs as in splicing them together to make one? I don't think that's what pair bonding is, though. I just did some quick searching, and pair bonding uses two VDSL2 ports per home, which would use up ports in a hurry!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wonder if there is a shortage of spare pairs in the Winnipeg outside telephone plant due to:

a) all the 80 & 90's second lines for dial up internet being replaced with DSL or Cable service
b) customers converting to Cell Service only
c) customers converting over to Shaw phone service
d) customers using internet based telephone service.

Just a and b should be freeing up a fair number of pairs for other use. If the pair now coming out of use was cut in the pedestal because of bridge taps concerns they may have to be re-spliced to be used downstream.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts