Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
They have the new software at the Home Show, I posted a run down on what htey showed me in a new thread, but basically the enter button now lets you change your aspect ratio from normal to stretch to zoom. you can choose what you want and it sticks to all channels until you change it. it works really slick.
What about on HD channels that are already strecthed? I use my aspect button on my tv to stretch to Sd channels, but the guide and the channels that are already strecthed don't look right. Will this change affect them?

·
Registered
195 Posts
They have the new software at the Home Show, I posted a run down on what htey showed me in a new thread, but basically the enter button now lets you change your aspect ratio from normal to stretch to zoom. you can choose what you want and it sticks to all channels until you change it. it works really slick.
I suppose this could be useful on older TV sets.

My Panasonic already has a button for this, so MTS replicating that function doesn't do much for me.

Dave S.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's an amazing uncompetitive package they've got there. Why split the US networks off of "free HD"?

Nice bait and switch, MTS. I'm interested to see what my sign-up promo turns into after this. By my calculation, I'll have to spend $7 more a month to get what I get now, and what I was promised to get when I signed up.

At least they added Discovery HD though. That's nice. I wonder if these added channels are why the quality is starting to suffer, though...

EDIT: Just noticed TSN2 in there, contrary to what I was told last month... and History HD? That's somewhat exciting.
Yah it already cost way more than Shaw's HD package which is only $9.00 and includes all these channels expect the time shift and HiFi channels. Not sure why MTS is going this route will have to wait and see I guess.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yah it already cost way more than Shaw's HD package which is only $9.00 and includes all these channels expect the time shift and HiFi channels. Not sure why MTS is going this route will have to wait and see I guess.
Do you mind spelling out how you get that $9 figure?

I just looked at Shaw on the web, and it looks like I would have to pay $69.95 for a HDTV package that includes the same channels.

Dave S.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Has anyone heard a release date for the firmware that will give us on-screen caller ID? It seems like it was 3 or 4 weeks ago that MTS said it was coming soon.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I personally have Shaw Digital Basic ($35.95/mo) with an HD PVR. The HD box automatically entitles me to ch 200-209 (PBS HD,NBC HD,ABC HD,CBS HD,FOX HD & timeshifts + CBC HD Toronto).

I don't get any of the SD channels listed on the Shaw site as Tier 1, Tier 2, or Tier 3 (such as SHOWCASE, SPIKE, CNN, HISTORY, etc), but the HD Plus add-on for $9.00/mo entitles me to most of channels 210-231 (incl. CTV HD, SCORE HD, TSN HD, TSN2 HD, WGN HD, HISTORY HD, Encore Ave 3 HD, etc)

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
dschell - Shaw's HD packages are as follows, basic HD which is included with the box and HD Plus which currently covers all the other specialty HD channels and only costs $9/mo. Of course for MC HD or SC HD you need to subscribe to them. It only costs $69.95 if you have the 3 digital tiers. Basic $35.95/mo and HD Plus $9/mo should cost about $50/mo total.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I had a tech over last night and he told me that the firmware update for call display was happening very soon and they were currently getting the firmware update to allow 4 streams into the house together.

Very cool.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm curious about the 4 streams...did he mention how they would be distributed?

I would hope that they would be 4-HD, but I'm thinking it will probably be 3-HD and 1-SD, and I'm praying it won't be 2-HD and 2-SD.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I didn't think to ask. That'd be a good question. Maybe someone going to the upcoming home show can ask at the MTS booth.?.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If they are not increasing available bandwidth I think what might be happening is that you can have any one of these scenarios happening at a time:

- 2 HD, 1 SD
- 4 SD

There is an outside chance it will be 1 HD, 3 SD.

Time will tell.

Also while the caller id on the tv is important for people migrating from the "classic" service I am much more excited to see the ability to set/modify programming over the Internet. I know AT&T which uses similar hardware and software the Ultimate tv has it working and that Bell was heavily advertising this as a feature they have durring the Olympics. Come on MTS setup up and enable that feature already and make it carrier-neutral on the cell phone side.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
That would certainly be backward thinking if they go that route.

The future is...everyone will have HD...and that is not far off.

If you don't believe me...try buying a non-HD TV these days.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Come on MTS setup up and enable that feature already and make it carrier-neutral on the cell phone side.
Nope - it should be and will be MTS specific. No sense wasting time supporting users outside of their business network.

I would assume it will be 2HD/2SD - but this will require further compression.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mozza - it would be illogical to block remote PVR set/change functions from non-MTS networks, to the point where you are an MTS customer oustide the limited MTS footprint in Manitoba that you would likely be blocked as well.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It certainly wouldn't be an issue - most likely would be a login scenario limited to MTS Wireless customers. I'm pretty sure Bell's is only available on their phones as well. I don't mind if it is limited like this at all.

It wouldn't be a "block" - just a limitation based on support.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts