Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple of days MTS has added 2 PPV channels. From what I understand, the ability to change TV theme groups online is supposed to be available soon. As well, it is my understanding that by the fall MTS is to introduce a 4th stream, whole home DVR service, and on the TV caller ID.

Anyone else have any other knowledge about time frames for new features....or just start a thread for what features we'd like to see MTS introduce.

New channels : Spike HD - please.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'd like to see them allow more than four streams...all HD.

I'd also like to see them add a West HD feed of the US-Networks.

·
Banned
181 Posts
No western feed of the HD channels is ludicrous, nuts, backward and down right inconvenient!!! My Bell contract is not up till Dec/09 maybe they will get it right by then and in my area. But then again going from Bell to MTS....lol from one hard to deal with provider to another...I guess I am a masochist......

·
Registered
90 Posts
No western feed of the HD channels is ludicrous, nuts, backward and down right inconvenient!!! My Bell contract is not up till Dec/09 maybe they will get it right by then and in my area. But then again going from Bell to MTS....lol from one hard to deal with provider to another...I guess I am a masochist......
Do you need western feeds if you have a PVR?
I only have the SD western feeds because I don't have a PVR, and I plan to ditch them once I upgrade.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
When you are used to watching HD...SD will not even be considered...no HD-West feeds is a deal breaker...plain and simple.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having more choice is always better but can't you just use your PVR to record the show on the eastern feed and watch it later?

Of course, this would not help people who don't get the PVR service.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
And if you want to watch Stanley Cup playoffs and record two shows that are on at the same time...you do what...tell the wife and kids they can't watch TV...good luck with that one?

Not only that...but you'd still have to record one feed in SD...(because only two of the three streams are HD)...right now the service should be called a "half-service"!

·
Banned
181 Posts
When you are used to watching HD...SD will not even be considered...no HD-West feeds is a deal breaker...plain and simple.
Well said, I love my pvr, I watch when I want to watchwhen I want to watch it and with a busy family you need both feeds east and west to accommodate all the show requests and yes only in HD, I just to not watch SD anymore.

Deal breaker for me also, but they are not in my area yet, will have to wait till late fall, maybe they will add them by then and enable PVR functions on all T.Vs like in the US. If and when all functionality is in place they may have a superior product to anybody else. But it is MTS we are talking about, they may find a way to screw it up and/or screw us........This is good all of these enhancements are just going to get me a better stay with Bell T.V retention deal if I do not want the hassles of moving providers....lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MTS has an ad on their website for their Advanced HD service (http://www.mts.ca/hdtv/) where they say that more HD channels and Whole Home DVR service are "coming soon". Does anyone have an idea as to when we may see this? Is "coming soon" sometime this summer, fall, winter 2010?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Not sure, but I think they have to wait until the manufacturer upgrades the firmware to support it. Just like caller id on the tv, which isn't carried over from the "classic" mts tv yet.

·
Super Moderator
16,423 Posts
AT&T has had whole home PVR since last year, so the software is written. My guess is that MTS had tested and maybe customized the version that they rolled out and didn't want to change versions late in the process. Their priority was probably to make sure they had a solid product on day 1.

From what I read on the AT&T forums, they are in the process of rolling out some new updates so MTS may be waiting until those are stable before they do an update.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Anyone know for sure...how many HD streams that they will be sending to houses for this?

Apparently right now it's only 3 streams...two of which are HD...which is useless to me...

And to make matters worse...their vaunted "in demand" service...takes up an entire HD stream...when you use it! :confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MTS has now given us the ability to change our channel line-up on-line. This was previously only available to MTS Classic subscribers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a tech in last week to deal with a couple of issues and he told me that a "huge firmware update was expected in September," and that they were hoping to have the whole home PVR service running by October.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts