Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Thanks for the info, but Iam a little confused, if my wife is recording 2 HD programs and not home, my son`s PVR with Bell can do the same thing or a combo of watching one channel and recording another or recording two channels and he can watch a recorded program on the PVR. What I have asked is kind of the max on Bell but does happen, just trying to figure out all the options before I leap. As I said before here at DHC going to MTS from Bell is going from one crappy provider in customer service to another....lol

From what you guys have told me that can`t happen on MTS? Am I getting this right?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Recon,

I know it is a bit confusing, but what it think you are asking is can you be recording 2 HD programs on one PVR, and a second PVR is recording a SD channel, and still be able to watch PVR recorded TV. The answer is YES you can do that.

When Whole Home PVR came out here is what I did to test it. (I have 4 TV's, but only needed 3 to test this.)

TV1 - The VIP1216. - Setup to record 3 programs simultaneously (475 - TSN HD, 422 - CTV HD, 104 Discovery SD) + I then accessed my PVR and turned on a HD movie I had previously recorded. - so one TV was recording 3 shows and watching back a single HD show.

TV2 - tried to tune to a live channel - I got a conflict screen - all streams in use, I then turned the TV to channel 104, and was able to watch it as it was a live stream already in use. Then went to PVR, and turned on a different HD movie I had previously recorded (different than the one already on TV1)

TV3 - Did the same thing as TV2, - got conflict on a new live stream, but able to watch an already live program (475, 422, or 104). and was able to watch back a 3rd HD show from the PVR.

So on 3 TV's I had 3 live programs recording (2HD, 1SD) and watched 3 different HD programs from the PVR all at the same time. Total of 6 programs all on at once 5HD and 1 SD.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
181 Posts
Yes that explains it perfectly. I like it it but find that it will conflict sometimes in the household. So I have to investigate how much it will conflict, and it is not in my area, soon Iam told.

Thanks guys, forthe vast majoroity of people 3 streams for recording and the ability to watch already recorded etc will work. Not just in my house....lol.

This is a good system, this will hurt Shaw not as sure about Bell, but having it all installed cleanly and no dish or switches does have some merit. I am getting the house painted and the roof re done next spring so this may be the time to clean up all the Bell stuff and by that time MTS will have all the kinks worked out and the two (MTS and Shaw ) will be fighting in the trenches to get and keep customers... Love that, so good for the customer.

Anybody have any ideas what Shaw`s response to this will be? I think they have to respond, if I was looking now between the two and not looking at Satellite I would jump to MTS.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Why hasn't an MTS thread been stickied like SAsktel and Bell????

anyway, all looks good......when I get my new TV I will get it ALL!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone know if they will be adding the options to be able to set your PVR online and on your cell phone? Is this feature coming to MTS?
I dont speak for MTS but I do know if all goes well this feature will show its face in 2010. As a matter of interest what sort of devices would people like to see this feature on ? What about security ? There are a number of ways to do this what does everyone think ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
i would really like to have them stop sending 14 flyers a week to postal codes they KNOW cannot get the new service.

it really pisses me off that they do this when they barely have any coverage in my area.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Speaking with a tech while trying to trouble shoot an issue they seemed to indicate that the web-based PVR control was "in testing" with a consumer roll-out possibily occuring in the spring.

In terms of security, MTS Internet side is basically converted over to a Microsoft Live service so why not use a Microsoft Live account for security, ideally the same one as your Intenet if the customer has both.

In terms of wireless devices, I think MTS should look at which type of devices it offers and focus on those. Currently that would be Blackberries and Windows Mobile. Microsoft also has some history of making clients for the iPhone, although not specifically for MediaRoom.

In terms of other features, I think there are three MTS needs to tackle sooner than later as they were offered on the Classic service. Those three are, one screen call display, color coding the guide based on content type, and allowing a box to auto-tune a channel at a specific time.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
They send those flyers to everyone regardless of what area you live in and I don't think it's anywhere near that many a week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
it is.ok, maybe only between 8 and 10, but really, too many to jsut be thrown in the recycle bin, wonder how much they WASTE on the flyers for people that cannot get the service?

if you get the free press, you get a couple a week, when the lance arrives 2 more, then on thursday usually another 2, then i also get the odd one a week jsut in the mailbox...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quick question - does anyone know if the latest update fixed the HDMI--5.1 audio issue? Just picked up a basic receiver/speaker set and want to know if the issues with HDMI and the MTS box had been fixed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I am pretty sure it was fixed with the last upgrade.

I can't verify it at home as my 5.1 receiver is not HDMI, so I run audio independant from video in my home setup.

Which receiver did you get? I was thinking of going to a 7.1.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Which receiver did you get? I was thinking of going to a 7.1.
I picked up a Sony HTSS360 HITB from Visions. It was on sale for $288, and I had a gift card I had won in a contest, which brought it down to around $140. They threw in the 3-year store warranty for free as well, and I bought it in AB, saving the sales tax. It's not a super-system or what-not, but I'm hoping to run my DVD player, WDTV and MTS TV via HDMI (it only has HDMI inputs for video). So as long as the 5.1 via HDMI issue has been fixed, I'm a happy shopper.

·
Registered
94 Posts
just got a DENON AV (AVR-590) receiver with 3 HDMI imputs and all Dolby Digital signals come thought if fine! I run my MTS box, BlurRay, Extender through it via HDMI........

I got it on sale, but a friend of mind picked it up for 600 bucks.:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont speak for MTS but I do know if all goes well this feature will show its face in 2010. As a matter of interest what sort of devices would people like to see this feature on ? What about security ? There are a number of ways to do this what does everyone think ?
Personally, I think the best way would be to use a mobile web interface using the Live logon for security. Anyone with a valid Live email alias for that account should be able to set a PVR recording.

I don't think dedicated apps are the way to go - too many to implement like Crackberry, Android, Iphone, WM, and standard cell phones. A mobile and standard web interface would be the most universal and easiest to use.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts