Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
MTS stating they send it through at the "highest rate they can"...is the first clue.
Exactly.

I'm using a Panasonic 42" plasma. When I had Shaw, I didn't see any blocking when on a long shot of a football field, but usually when a close up of a post-touchdown celebration was on, it was lego city. On MTS, there's some blocking on long shots of the field, but it can handle celebrations and logo sweeps, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a 48inch LG Plasma set to 1080i (TV is 4 months old).

I have watched NFL, CFL, NHL, Golf, Nascar on TSN HD, CBS HD, NBC HD, and Global HD. I have never at anytime seen any macroblocking at all. There are times where I might get the swirlly grain in the background that is indicative of MPEG4, but never in any form that would reduce the quality of the main action.

I made a point of watching over the weekend to see if there was anything even on Sports Central (TSN HD) since they have all the sport highlights and and nope not a single issue.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There are times where I might get the swirlly grain in the background that is indicative of MPEG4, but never in any form that would reduce the quality of the main action.
That's what I'm talking about! On Shaw, the "swirly grain" wasn't present - only when there were scenes with rapidly changing colours (closeups of post-goal celebrations or logo sweeps) would you see some serious blocking (to the point of losing the idea of the picture)... like this:

Where with MTS, this is almost a constant problem in the background when there is a solid colour (like the white ice surface, or a green football field).

It doesn't make it unwatchable, but it's something that the other providers avoid in their signal... which tells me something is up with MTS and their compression algorithms...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's what I'm talking about! On Shaw, the "swirly grain" wasn't present - only when there were scenes with rapidly changing colours (closeups of post-goal celebrations or logo sweeps) would you see some serious blocking (to the point of losing the idea of the picture)... like this:

Where with MTS, this is almost a constant problem in the background when there is a solid colour (like the white ice surface, or a green football field).

It doesn't make it unwatchable, but it's something that the other providers avoid in their signal... which tells me something is up with MTS and their compression algorithms...
I haven't seen that blocking you show in your photo when I watch TV. the swirling I am talking about is like a very light grain and not in solid colors, only in multi-colored areas that are out of focus - definitely not blocking.

Also that photo is not from MTStv, TSN HD is on 475 and the graphic on the bottom of the page with the channel number is no where near what the interface looks like.

You need to clarify your post, because it seems to infer that the picture came from MTS tv and that is misleading to say the least.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Judging by the channel number I would say that picture was from Shaw HD, but that's just a guess. Perhaps there is a problem on your end and not with MTS, as others don't seem to have any problems.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It says right on my post that the picture is an example from Shaw. I will try and get a screenshot from MTS to show what I'm experiencing once the NHL starts.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I wonder if MTS will be offering the new Nickelodeon Canada starting Nov 2nd? Perhaps this is the 7th channel they will be adding in SD, since I can only think of six based on info we've gotten so far. I wonder where they will stick it too, since the family pack is pretty full now and I doubt it will be basic. Anyone know?

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I doubt they are replacing Discovery Kids since Discovery Kids is not disappearing nor being rebranded. Nick is a brand new channel.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
It doesn't look like they'll be adding HDnet this time around, unless the 2 ppv channels aren't part of the 20 channels they are adding. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aspect Ratio?

Last nite I turned on the tv to find that on an HD channel IE Oasis I cannot lose the black bars on the top and [email protected]@!! only with the zoom on the aspect can I fill the screen?
I hope this is not permanent if it is good bye MTS!
Any ideas guys?

--------> Got it.....needed to go into the STB and reset the aspect and tv settings there following the update.!

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
For those wondering, Big Ten Network will be on 203 SD and 445 HD. Also DIY Network will replace Fine Living at the end of the month and Nickelodeon will replace Discovery Kids on Nov 2nd.

Edit - apparently DIY Network replaces Fine Living on Oct 19 although apparently it won't be on Shaw until the 29th, just in case anyone's wondering. My source btw is an MTS rep via email.

·
Registered
757 Posts
rlecocq, if you didn't find it yet, there's also a nice new feature since the update. Go to a Standard Def channel, and while watching it, press "enter" at the bottom right of the remote. A little menu pops up at the top right. You can choose "stretch" (I think that's what it says) so that it'll stretch any content to fit, but when you go back to an HD channel, it'll still be full screen (un-stretched).

I'm glad they added that one.

·
Banned
181 Posts
So can some tell me if I understand the amount of streams into a house etc. The number of streams are 3 in total, 2 HD and one SD? Is that correct? If I record 2 HD shows can I watch a third show already recorded on the hard drive?

I have 3 HD T.V`s in the house and 2 are HD dual turner PVR`s and one is a just a HD with no PVR and a fourth is just a SD PVR. With only 3 streams am I limited what can be watched and not watched on all 4 T>V`s? I am getting this correct?

Please advise if I get this or if I am wrong in my assumption? If I am right then MTS is to limited for my set up. Damn if that is right then I will stay with Bell T>V and continue with the great retention offer.
Let me know......

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
the 2HD and 1SD are "Live" streams. on top of that you have 3 HD "PVR" streams. They are independant so you can record 2HD and 1SD, at the same time you can be watching back 3 different HD programs from your PVR on 3 different Set-Top Boxes all at the same time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As RandomGuy indicates, the Live and PVR streams are seperate. However there is a limit on the number of streams you can be watching and recording at the same time. If you have 3 or more TV's going at the same time, it's likely that at some point someone is going to be blocked from watching something. It doesn't happen a lot and I find it's an acceptable limitation.

However, if there's anything we've learned from this board, it's that some people definitely find this limitation unacceptable. This may be your experience, in which case this particular service may not be for you.

It's your TV, you should get the service that's right for you. The price, quality, selection and PVR service on MTS works for me, but if you have lots of people watching different things on different TVs, you may find it's not the best choice for you.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts