Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so we all know the Dire Straights controversy.

Personally, my belief is that there are words that should not be used on the public airwaves. In my opinion, these words should be allowed (even if deemed offensive) on pay-tv programs, movies that you rent, satellite radio, specialty cable channels etc, just not on AM/FM radio or conventional television television stations.

In the U.S., the FCC actually has a list of verboten words. My belief is the CRTC should have a similar list. A list that gets reviewed periodically.

In post #2 is my list of naughty words. The list includes words typically deemed obscene and ethnic slurs.

Please add any words that you feel should be banned. If the word isn't obvious, please explain why.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR DISCUSSING CENSORSHIP. FEEL FREE TO DO THAT IN THE EXISTING THREAD.

I'd like to pass on our list to the CBSC and CRTC once its been compiled.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obscene

bastard
bitch
chink
Cock
Cocksucker
Cunt
faggot
Motherfucker
nigger
peckerhead
prick
tits

Ethnic Slurs

daygo
Heeb
honky
Hymie
jap
Kike
nip
paki
Wop
Yid

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I don't think anything should be banned. Some should be limited to use after a certain time in the evening. Banning things outright is never an acceptable intrusion to artistic license. Context is important, and a ban does not take context into account.

I'd like to pass on our list to the CBSC and CRTC once its been compiled.
Instead of compiling a list of words that are without context, why not make a complaint when you hear or see something that you find offensive?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is NOT a discussion about whether you think words should be banned. Its about what words should be banned.

If you'd like to discuss the merits of censorship, please use the existing thread.

Posts that say "no words should be banned" will be deleted since we have a thread for that already.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
While visiting Australia in '84, I was shocked at hearing an early teen girl calling her brother a "peckerhead" on a primetime sitcom.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Context is important!
Obscene: Bastard and bitch?? One refers to someone with parents that were doing something out of wedlock that was not quite proper and the other is lying by the living room chewing on her bone right now.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. Hence the discussion by the CBSC over the word "fag."

So does the list require an obscene, ethnic slur and context category?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Of course, George Carlin was given his list by the FCC.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's a complicated issue for me, for several reasons.

My philosphy is that words are words, nothing more, and censoring them gives them their power. Now, are there and should there be limits? Of course. You can't go on air and call someone the N-word 20 times and get away with it. But should tv programmes after watershed hours and on cable channels be censored when someone says
****, cunt, ****
and the like? No, not at all. This side of the pond we're all so concerned about words, which hurt nobody. When I was a kid, I heard far worse things in the schoolyard then on tv, and my head didn't explode. True, we're not as bad as the Yanks, who seem to think the public needs to be babied and protected, but compared to Europe and Australia/New Zealand, we're behind in faceing the reality of language, that being that, everyone says it, and it's never going away just because we pretend on television that such words "don't exist".

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me be clear, this is NOT a thread about whether we should have censorship

to reiterate

This thread is for people who believe some words some be censored during certain hours on conventional radio and television and want to contribute to a discussion about what words should be censored, when they should be censored and why.

·
Super Moderator
11,122 Posts
Add these words and their derivatives.

retard
queer
twat
douche
slut
dick
whore
pussy
cum
blowjob
cooter
muff
prick
clit
poon
quim
jizz
piss
dyke
spunk
skeet

Shall I continue?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
No you pretty much nailed it Jake. We used to use the term common sense. Trouble is that up and left us at some point as we are in a death spiral towards mediocrity. Many people today use those kinds of words in their everyday language and don't find them offensive.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
What is also interesting is to note the change in the connotation or words over time. In my grandmother's time having 'gay' time meant something entirely different. In my mother's time, a 'fag' was a cigarette. A 'Nip' was a hamburger (at least until the second world ward came along). Point is, groups appropriate words and change its common usage. To go back and change history or stamp out its usage on the basis of a common day interpretation is a slippery slope.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think queer should be on the list. I used to watch "Queer eye for the straight guy"

Also skeet (I had to look it up) as in Skeet Shooting is fine. Again that word would be in the "context" category.

Truthfully, I would submit that you could come up with a list of about 80 or 100 words that would pretty much cover everything. If the CRTC said, these are the 100, we could probably save a lot of time and effort.

·
Super Moderator
11,122 Posts
Hugh,
skeet
is slang for another type of shooting. It is a new one but it will grow in popularity.

I have to admit if it was not for the younger "kids" in my office I would not know some of these new ones.
splooge
comes to mind. No pun intended. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was out on the farm owned by my bastard half-brother. We had decided to bond by going bird watching. Not just the fowl on the farm like the strutting cock that walked past us, but looking for rarer fare such as the blue tittied peckerhead and the peacock sap sucker. He whistled for his foxhound bitch chinkles who bounded up the cuntryside lane wagging her tail expectantly. We had gone a quarter mile into the woods when something seemed to bother my niggardly brother, a frugal country fellow. He had pricked his finger on a pine tree and screamed like a mother f... well ****, he exclaimed, we forgot the binnoculars!

This story was completely fabricated to show how pointless it is to get up in arms over the use of words. Banning words just because you or someone else is offended by their meaning is an imposition I don't particularly wish to put up with. I am not a fan of government censorship. It is always done poorly and inefectively. if people wish to self censor, that is their right, but why try to hide from reality? people hear the "f word" and the "s word" multiple times a day. More in certain lines of work. What benefit is there to hiding people from it? There are some languages without exclamations such as the F word. they don't even understand the idea behind why it would be bad. I have to say I see things from their viewpoint.

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is a slippery slope.

From your list:

Dick is a form of the name Richard.
Cooter is a loveable character from the 'ol Dukes of Hazzard show.
Dyke is a containment barrier.
The word whore has a long history of use in mainstream colloquial, centuries old.
Pin prick.
etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.