Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

If you were buying today, what type of HDTV set would you buy?

• Direct View CRT

Votes: 44 8.1%
  • CRT Rear Projection

Votes: 71 13.0%
  • DLP Rear Projection

Votes: 135 24.7%
  • LCD Rear Projection

Votes: 81 14.8%
  • LCD

Votes: 58 10.6%
  • LCOS

Votes: 21 3.8%
  • Plasma

Votes: 88 16.1%
  • LCD Front Projection

Votes: 15 2.7%
  • DLP Front Projection

Votes: 28 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems that our 5 Reasons not to buy a Plasma television has got some folks knickers in a knot saying that DHC is engaging in "Plasma Bashing"

In the interest of fair play, DHC will publish an article in the coming weeks whose title will be similar to the subject of this thread.

The article will include the results of this poll as well as excerpts from posts in this thread so please note if you comment in this thread, your words may show up in our article (along with username)

Vote in our poll here and post your rationale.

PLEASE NOTE: ONLY ONE POST PER USER .

Multiple posts will be deleted. If you want to comment on the posts here, please start another thread or add to an existing thread and reference this thread.

In addition to picture quality please be sure to consider the following In your rationale:

Standard Definition Viewing
DVD Viewing
HDTV VIewing

Connections
Initial Cost
Total Cost of Ownership

Location of TV
Usage of Set
Size of HDTV

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hugh, after owning a RPTV CRT 56" for almost three years, I'd have to say that my next one will be a smaller (42") CRT based set and a refurb'ed CRT based front projector for the "theater experiance".
I can do both today for the cost of the 56" three years ago - and no bulb costs to complicate things for ten years.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
My CRT-based RPTV (which I love) is currently located in my main floor family room and is used for all types of viewing (SD/HD/DVD). If I were to replace it with a similar-use product, I would opt at this time for a rear-projection DLP set. DLP technology seems to be maturing well and its reliability appears to be on par with other technologies. PQ is great, prices have come down quite a bit recently and, finally, size is not an issue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently purchased a direct view CRT based HDTV. Why? First this tube will perform well under any conditions, whether it be an ultra bright room or not. Also, viewing angle is less of a problem. These units are tried, tested and true.

These CRT tubes are also extremely reliable, chances are that you will get a minimum of 10 years out of your purchase, if not 10 to 20 years.

One factor to consider is placement. These tvs are HEAVY, so ideally I would have liked to get an LCD or something that can be hung on the wall, but if you look at the cost of a similar sized LCD compared to direct view, you will pay roughly triple the price for an LCD, and then still would probably have less picture quality depending on your environment and angle.

Also, spending between $1k-1.5k sure makes it easier to sell off and buy something new, if HDTV technology advances further, and programming warrants a new investment. It would certainly hurt less than if I'd spent $3k on an equivalent sized flat panel monitor.

I live in a one bedroom condo though, so widescreen CRTs come in the size I want. If I was in a bigger space it may not have been sufficient, considering 34" is the largest 16:9 direct view that I've been able to track down. I went with a 30" anyway.

If lighting werent an issue for me, I may have explored getting an entry level home theater projector though. But I am happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
If money were no option, it's a no brainer....a 3 chip DLP projector.

But I live in the real world. We just gt a DLP, for many reasons....but, the price and picture quality could not be beat. DLP is only getting better, with the coming of the 1080p sets first seen at CES. LCD may be similar, but comparing the 2 led me to the DLP, hands down. I've sat about 20 feet away, ata diagonal, and have never seen the 'viewing angle' problem that so many spout about.
As a side note, the owner of the shop I bought my TV from says that the future may be LCoS, and that at CES, the 1080p DLP's were rivaled by the LCoS screens. It seems that it may not be a dead format. But until then, it's DLP for me.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I just bought a CRT RPTV for these reasons;

Price. $1600 + calibration.

Very tweakable.

JohnnyG told me to. ;)

Depth of the unit was not an issue because in order to give my speakers the proper breathing room, they needed 2' of space from the back wall.

Weight is irrelevant as it sits on the floor.

A fixed viewing distance of 9' limited my screen size for DVD viewing to 46".

I've had good luck with Toshiba's in the past.

It has individual settings for each input.

HDMI included.

·
Registered
617 Posts
These were my requirements when I bought my TV last year.

-reletively light and not too deep as it would be going into a cabinet
-easy PC hook-up
-between 40" and 50" screen
-HTDV
-under $4000

The only sets that met all the above criteria where DLP or LCD rear pojection TVs. I chose the DLP because I liked the picture better. And if I'd have to to do it all over again I'd pick DLP once more.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I have both an RP-CRT (Panny PT47WX33) and a DLP (LG 44") and if I had to do it again, I would stick with the RP-CRT.

Summed up, the DLP provides a poorer picture (to my eyes) and costs twice as much.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I still love my Sammy DLP. If I had to do it over again I'd love it more 'cause it's way cheaper now for an even bigger (46") and better (HD3+) version. Lots of inputs and a stunning image for DVD and HD did it for me. The non-reflective screen and thin cabinet did it for my wife. She actually talked me into spending that much.

I think that CRT-based screens (TV, projector or computer monitor) have a limited time left on this earth. Digital (fixed-pixel) technologies will continue to drop in price to a point where building and shipping the heavy CRT's just isn't worth it anymore.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would probably buy another DLP rear projection. I have had mine for over a year now (a 43" Samsung) and have had no problems with it. Initially I could see rainbows on the odd occasion by I must have become acustomed to it because I haven't noticed them in a long while. My wife has never noticed them.

We use ours as our main tv and I have mine placed in my living room which has a 12' x 8' window facing south (about 4 feet from and perpendicular to the dlp) and even in winter when the sun is low I have no problem seeing the picture.

This unit is great for both HD and DVD viewing. SD, as with most, if not all, larger tvs is not that great. If I never watched HD I probably wouldn't notice how bad SD is though. I also use mine from time to time as a monitor for our computer (using the vga connection). I have watched several HD DVDs using the computer and the picture quality is fantastic.

For me Plasma was too expensive. If I needed the thinner profile of Plasma I may have bought one but I have mine set in an entertainment unit (the one on page 2 of http://www.shermag.com/eng/accents/pdf/florence.pdf) where the DLP fit just perfectly. Also, the possibility of burn-in (warranted or not) turned me off of Plasma.

The picture quality of RPCRT sets didn't look as good to me and they were all too big. Also, as with plasmas, the possibility of burn-in made me look elsewhere.

Direct view CRTs were too big and bulky for the screen size.

Front projection units were out because of where and how I planned on using the tv.

The only other technology that I really considered was RPLCD. To me the picture and size of the DLP and LCD RP units were comparable. I ended up with the DLP because of its better PC connectivity and the better price that I got at the time.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Direct View/CRT HDTV. I would've bought the 34" Tau HDTV if money wasn't so tight over the Christmas holidays. I wish they made 36" HDTV's.

I've never been a fan of Projection sets. My brother-in-law just bought a 43" Samsung DLP and didn't feel it, he paid over $3,000 and for picture quality, it just wasn't worth the difference over my $1,000 30" Tau HDTV.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If my Toshiba 46H83 had to be replaced today for some reason, I'd probably buy another one (or upsize to a 51"). If I was voluntarily upgrading *today*, I would probably go DLP. But since I have no desire to upgrade today, I'll be keeping an eye on both xHD3 DLP (1920x1080), and SED.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Today, definitely CRT rear projection. It's at the pinnacle of it's life cycle. Things will only go downhill from here, if they haven't already started.

For my next purchase, I am keeping a close eye on the LCOS/DILA/SXRD sets.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I bought 2 years ago a Direct View CRT ( Sony 36"). Great image , but to small. Waiting in a few years ( not in any hurry ) for a Sony SXRD (Lcos), when the price will drop under 6K, most likely 60" or higher.Or a Direct View LCD 50" or higher if the price is right ( I mean in the same range). Anyway my next TV will be for sure 1920x1080 (p) ( no compromise here).

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
This is my second CRT based RPTV and see nothing wrong with it. I find the picture very clear and personally, don't like LCD screens as my eyes notice the jagged edge on these more than a RPTV. That's my choice. AND NO I'M NOT BASHING LCD TV's!!! I'm just saying a CRT based RPTV is what my eyes (and my wallet) like to see. To each his own. If what you got is nice to you on all fronts, so be it. Why argue which one is better? Who cares? Maybe I'm missing out on the newer better technology proven tv's out there, but at the moment, this LG 56 inch TV of ours is very satifying at the end of the day.

Now my peeve:

Instead of pointing the booboos or merits of each others TV, why in the hell are we not concentrating our energy in childish arguments into something more constructive like "Trying to persuade" somebody, or company, or party or whoever, to bring Canada in par with the rest of the world for HDTV? Am I asking for too much? Maybe. I just know that if we all tried our best in one direction instead of tearing each others hide for insignificant arguments, maybe we would make a change.

There. That's just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I marked CRT RP -- I'm quite sure that's how I'd go if buying "today", i.e., "right now". Why? lower cost, reputation (proven & accepted technology), good performance for personal expectations (SD and Digital TV, and DVD viewing), the 'look' (I personally like the 'big-box' look), stand-alone unit (no stand required, and can be moved about on built-in casters with relative ease), etc. Down the road a bit, maybe a different decision (DLP? or other?).

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Well, I would repurchase my 43" plasma TOMORROW morning if I had the chance to do it all over again.

Viewing angles, vivid image, unbelievably realistic colours, space saving and the cool factor are only some of the reasons.

May I suggest CNet as a source of information. They offer great articles and reviews which often include video clips and user reviews, so you can get a reality check when looking a a specific product.

For instance, I find the following link useful:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5023901-4.html?tag=coco

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'd still go with RP CRT again. Sure, there's a higher "sexiness" and "cool" factor with the new TV's but for the price, the picture can't compare to CRT's still.

I'm going to wait for the technologies to mature and go through a few more generations before I buy something that's more than double the cost of a RP CRT. Let the early adopters drive the prices down as well!

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Let's see, i have a 8 lb tv and a 106" screen for the fraction of the cost of plasma. The only answer is front projection (assuming you have a room for one).

This type of tv is best suited for HD and DVD movies, even though SD is very watchable. I usually sit 14 - 20 feet away from the screen.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts